Author Topic: Question for peeps with long haired puddies  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Question for peeps with long haired puddies
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 23:26:03 PM »
Take a look at the "Fat cat loves the hoover thread" for a bit of a laugh on this topic.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »
The snipping of fur will not cause it to grow back longer, the fur has a maximun length depending where it is and what weather is like.

Cheers Gill.  :thanks: I didn't know that

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 23:32:08 PM »
Only way to get rid of slugs is to get em out while they are still alive, yukkkkkkkkkk. Or wait til they have dried and if they groom well like Sasa, she will pull that mat off but if you are like Misa, Franta and Ducha I have to snip that bit of fur off cos they will just leave it getting more and more matty.................boys grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

The snipping of fur will not cause it to grow back longer, the fur has a maximun length depending where it is and what weather is like.
Cos its been mild this winter and house was warm, Misa didnt grow his big ruff although the birmans did but I think the birmans have big ruffs all the time normally, cept Franta who is just regrowing his  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 13:19:37 PM »
Yep, mine all do that!

When I first had persians and before I knew they did this, I just happened to look at one of mine and her head was all screwed round to one side and she was making gagging noises - thought she'd had a fit! Then noticed this bit of fur going up to her mouth and realised she'd got a piece all wound round her tooth and it had pulled tight, pulling her head round into that odd position  :doh:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 08:56:55 AM »
I did wonder about your lot Gill.  I just wondered if I may have helped generate extra fur growth by cutting out the slugs that got trapped in his fur on and off for a few weeks a couple of months ago but I'm sure they were on his tummy not his shirt.  However if Gizmo has same problem, I guess it's not my fault after all.

For info, after slugs dry into long fur, not possible to groom out, fur has to be chopped. I know you all often wondered about that  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 22:37:30 PM »
Mine are all longhaired but dont have that problem. cept Franta ripped out most of his bib this year!!

Misa hates being groomed and is currently tangled above his tail across his back and I am still trying to devise a cunning plan to get at this  without being ripped to shreds................he is a real wimp  :rofl: :rofl:  He goes ow ow ow ow ow and then attacks me is I touch it!

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 22:06:18 PM »
Freddie really hates being groomed  :( 

Isn't it just typical. Billy Whiz has short hair and just loves being groomed with gusto with the short teeth of the metal comb.

Freddie goes a bit mental with comb or brush even if only done very softly. It might be coz his fur gets easily tangled coz it's long of course. I think I might try getting some of those grooming gloves. Just have to get used to fur staying in his mouth and his damp shirt  :Luv:

Offline tigertail

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 21:23:32 PM »
I have heard the furminator is a good brush to use.

Offline ChrisB

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • Gizmo, Bubbles, Cleo, Daisy and Ellie
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 20:53:36 PM »
Yes, Gizmo is the same - I always make sure I pay particular attention to the fur on her chest and always comb as well as brush to help limit the furballs but I know what you mean when they can't get the fur out of their mouth.
Unconditional love is hard to find unless you have a cat

Offline Rosella moggy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
Question for peeps with long haired puddies
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 19:47:14 PM »
Our Freddie's fur on his chest is rather long and when he licks it to clean, which he does alot, it is so long that it stays in his mouth when he has finished the lick. Know what I mean?  As a result his chest fur is almost always moist? I swear, if I didn't know better, I'd say it was growing longer and this is a recent thing.  Errmmm am I being daft? Is this common? I'm not used to long haired fellas

Link to CatChat