Author Topic: Catnip Plant Question  (Read 2348 times)

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
Re: Catnip Plant Question
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
Gill's right, I used to grow it too. It's like mint and grows like wildfire. Get some seeds and you're away. Cuttings also take very quickly and easily. I wouldn't spend the money on an adult plant as it's SO easy to grow from seed. You'll soon be making your own catnip toys.

Dry the leaf and flowers in paper bags, then scatter these where you want the cats to sleep, or if you want to watch them go silly (depending on your cats reactions). Mine love it.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 09:19:22 AM »
No idea what kind is the best but I saw a cat-toy on lamppost the other day that says it has 4 kinds of catnip in it!  ;D

Whatever they use in kookamunga doesn't do much for mine.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 09:04:53 AM »
some years ago I grew some 'nepeta' and it was roundly ignored. Someone told me there's more than one kind?!  Do you know what's the correct latin name for the loonycat kind?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 18:16:09 PM »
Get some seeds and chuck em in a pot.................it grows very easily and mine has ben outside all winter and its really good again this year.

The cats go and sit in the middle of the pot, well container...................its about 20 inches across and only about 6-8 inches high and round and the cats love it.  ;D ;D

Offline Rosiecat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 11:32:08 AM »
I bought two plants online from Crocus - they are really good quality and were packaged very well (packing was expensive though!)

I am near Rhyl in N. Wales and could not find one locally - perhaps a larger garden centre like the Grosvenor in Chester would be worth a go.

Sarah

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 11:40:26 AM »
My catnip plant came from a garden centre. The range sell small ones in pots.
Please spay your cat

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 18:09:59 PM »
Try your local garden centre most of them sell cat nip ... I buy Nepeta Six Hills Giant.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 17:33:26 PM »
Sorry, Sarah. I can't help you as I'm nowhere near there! I had the same problem though, couldn't find a plant for ages and then one appeared on a market stall for £3.50! ;D Keep checking your local plant stalls, you never know.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Queen-Penguin

• Distinguished Cat
Catnip Plant Question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 17:22:02 PM »
Hi all

I am thinking of buying a catnip plant off ebay as I am having no luck in my local market/supermarket etc in buying one and I am the worst gardener in the world (I watered a cactus to death!) so I don't fancy sowing seeds.

The one on Ebay comes "shipped as it is, in a professional plant container." but I don't trust my Postie not to try and force it through the letter box like he has done so with many large items and ruined the packaging and the item inside.

Does anyone in my local and surrounding area including Merseyside and North Wales (Im in Llandudno on Monday) know of anywhere where I can buy one and not have to run the risk of it being crushed to death?

Sarah xx
For a man to truly understand rejection, he must first be ignored by a cat.

Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

Link to CatChat