Author Topic: bed on the floor or on a chest of drawers?  (Read 1369 times)

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
Re: bed on the floor or on a chest of drawers?
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 19:48:22 PM »
thats odd all three of mine spend an hour or so on my bed then sleep in the floor, regardless of the fact there is both beds on the floor and up a height  :Crazy:
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 18:49:50 PM »
Id put one in both places and wait to see which one gets hairy. The velcro is a good idea  ;D

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 18:02:23 PM »
Smidgen sleeps on (or rather, IN) my bed and Esther chooses to sleep either on the arm of the chair or in the cubbyhole of the climbing tower. They definitely prefer to be up off the ground, but I would avoid slippery surfaces, especially if the cat in question is energetic. Smidgen has been known to launch himself at the cat flap from a distance of 3 feet, so goodness knows what damage he could do himself if he launched himself onto a bed on top of a slippery chest of drawers :scared:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 17:48:14 PM »
You could attach it with velcro stickers so you can take it down to wash but the velcro will keep it in place during the night.  In my spare rm I have one of those canvas wardrobes aka a hammock, Lu spends as much of his time up there as possible  :)

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:09:05 PM »
I don't think cats like their beds on the floor. Apart from the fact that it's draughty, they feel more secure being higher up + they can see around the room.

If you are worried about the bed slipping, you could always put a small mat or something underneath it?

I thought I had read that somewhere when I first got Bubz! Thanks for confiming this Mark.

Helen
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:42 AM »
mine never sleep on anything on the floor, the tops of wardrobes are very popular!

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 10:18:39 AM »
I don't think cats like their beds on the floor. Apart from the fact that it's draughty, they feel more secure being higher up + they can see around the room.

If you are worried about the bed slipping, you could always put a small mat or something underneath it?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:19:34 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Helena

• Adult Cat
    • Living With Wheels
  • Slave to: Bubz
bed on the floor or on a chest of drawers?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:11:11 AM »
Ever since I have had Bubz she's slept in her bed on top of the chest of drawers in my bedroom, and they're approx 4ft high. In the last week or so she's been wriggling it off the chest of drawers in the night (I'm 90% sure the bed has been put back properly) and my current PA has suggested leaving it on the floor. I've done this reluctanctly as it means I can't see her bed at all when I'm in bed, but I am wondering whether I'm being selfish in wanting to put the bed back on the chest?

It's compounded by the fact that last night she was late in to have her munches before bed and Bubz has the habit of returning to the sitting room to digest them. As far as I know she could have stayed all night in the sitting room and I don't want that as a habit. My PA says Bubz emerged from my room to greet her when she came out of her room but I had heard her come in/get up a few mins earlier. Since I have a flapless cat flap, see http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,15156.msg259724.html#msg259724 I can no longer shut her into the bedroom. So any thoughts would be appreciated.

Helen - off to the shops!
Helen A (mainly on behalf of Bubz)

Link to CatChat