Author Topic: unexplained aversion to food  (Read 45938 times)

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
Re: unexplained aversion to food
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2013, 01:03:48 AM »
So sorry Jeremy but i haven't been able to get a pc connection for 8 days.It sounds like you have some wonderful memories of a wonderful cat.My best regards to you and Lynne. :hug:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #349 on: March 24, 2013, 23:57:08 PM »
Jeremy, that story about Jonah walking in the snow with you is so sweet  :)
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #348 on: March 24, 2013, 22:14:22 PM »
I'm glad you have so many happy memories of life with Jonah to remember, Jeremy

one of the benefits we get from letting  them go before the very last pain-filled gasp is that horrible memories of their final hours don't obliterate a lifetime of good ones
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: jonah
« Reply #347 on: March 24, 2013, 19:25:37 PM »
Yes, it will grow easier. I have been writing a eulogy for my father this afternoon and I had to smile at some of the memories even through tears. I may run out of fluids soon! Jonah was the most wonderful cat and was very happy living with us, I know. Every night when I came home from work he'd be waiting on the doorstep (inside!) for me. He would chirrup with excitement when I opened the door then follow me by his private route - involving weaving around glass tables and sofas - to the kitchen where I would feed him something - it didn't matter what, just the fact that I fed him was important - and sit down on the sofa with my g&t. When he'd finished what he was given he'd come and jump on my lap and watch television if it was of interest to him - other cats or little prey animals - or just sit and purr gently. He'd put his front paws onto my tummy and rub my face until he felt settled and then curl up on my lap until supper time. Every night.
Already I am thinking happy memories of him. I only cry once or twice a day. His successor will have big furry boot to fill though. I remember one time when it snowed. Jonah came out for a walk with me but he hopped in my footprints through the snow rather than make his own. I stepped scrunch, scrunch, scrunch and Jonah followed, only stepping where there was a Jeremy pawprint.
Once, through some oversight, we left him out overnight in the snow. He was a kitten - or very young, anyway - and presumably fooled us he was in the night before. But the next morning we looked into the garden and Jonah rose out of a large flowerpot, where he'd spent the night, with a hat made of snow! He had quite a bit to say about irresponsible parents but we felt so bad we spoiled him rotten with treats so I think he forgave us.
Cat memories...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 19:27:31 PM by jrichemont »

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #346 on: March 23, 2013, 21:07:26 PM »
Oh Jeremy, I know how painful it is right now  :hug: :hug: As Gill, Sue and Liz have already said, it does get easier. When I lost my Lily, (it will be 3 years on 3rd April) I thought my heart would break. I'd lost kitties before but the bond between me and Lily was very special as when I took her to be spay at 6 months old the vet made a mess of the operation and cut the tube from her kidney to her bladder. She was extremely poorly and had to have a kidney removed. It was a hard six months nursing her back to health but we got there. I eventually lost her on the road when she was eight.

From the time I'd had her from a kitten she always slept round my head and we'd often fall asleep holding hands so when I lost her, going to bed was the hardest part, but it has got easier and now I can think of her and smile.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #345 on: March 23, 2013, 09:37:39 AM »
Jeremy the pain does lessen with time and you will remember him for all he was not the end bit, I know how hard loving and loosing any furbaby is last year I lost 4 in 5 days and it nearly finished me off as my OH was in America at the time but I can now look at photo's and smile through the tears

I have a wall in y study devoted to my Bridge babies so I can talk to them all every day, they were al cremated and I have 3 shelves of urns in my bedroom where they all loved to be     and one day will build a garden of remembrance to all my Clan kids

Little steps are the key :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #344 on: March 23, 2013, 06:43:54 AM »

You were there for him right to the very end, Jeremy.  You could give no greater measure of your love for him than that.  If I could choose,  I'd like to think that when I die, it would be cradled in the arms of the one I love.   :hug: :hug:

It's so distressing to lose someone so very special.  The pain of knowing you'll never be able to touch or see or hear them again is excruciating.  But Jonah will help you through.  The good memories will begin to re-surface.  It's true, they'll be bittersweet at first, but eventually and given time, they'll be something you can take out and reflect on again with more of the smile about them than tears.  :hug:

Jonah was a true Bath Baby, wasn't he?  :Luv:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #343 on: March 23, 2013, 02:29:59 AM »
 :hug: :hug: :hug: Jeremy

It takes a long time for the feelings to ease a bit but he will be with you for ever, you did more than many would do and we all know how hard it is  :hug: :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #342 on: March 23, 2013, 01:41:12 AM »
I am sure that I did the best but I had to hold his head and comfort him while the injection took hold.  It's something that will stay with me forever. I cry around three times a day at the moment; he was the most wonderful snidge in the world and he trusted me absolutely. I could hold him naked (me,  not him) while standing in my bath with water running and he'd just look at me, purr gently and relax.  Not a pin prick on my person.
When he was little he'd jump onto the bath rim and curl up behind my head. Oh,  this is hard.  I have never known a cat so devoted. I'm sorry I can't see to type anymore

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #341 on: March 20, 2013, 21:24:10 PM »
Hello Jeremy,so sorry to read about Jonah but,you know you have done the best for him.All my best regards to you and Lynn  :hug: :hug:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #340 on: March 20, 2013, 13:45:37 PM »
Jeremy, I'm so glad to read you are going to stick around.  :hug:

Purrs was my saviour after I lost my beloved Lily. It was coming up to the year anniversary and although I have many animal loving friends none of them seemed to really understand that I was still very much grieving for my little girl. When I found this site I lurked for a while until I realised that I'd found people that would understand why I was still hurting so much.  :) :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #339 on: March 20, 2013, 13:08:57 PM »
A holiday and some time sounds like a great idea Jeremy and any posts from you and advice you can give or we can give would be great.

I am sure its too early yet but when you are ready, one of the mods will be happy to move this thread to Rainbow Bridge for you, all you need to do is ask  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #338 on: March 20, 2013, 11:28:47 AM »
Jeremy that's exactly what happened with me last year. I found Purrs in February when Chelsea was diagnosed hyperthyroid and started acting strange on her meds and kept with it on her passing as these Purrs people are, in a word, lovely.
We then went to do a bit of research around the local rescues, went away over Easter and then the first weekend we were back just happened to coincide with the arrival from a fosterer of two sisters.
I found the ability to either lurk or post a massive help during that difficult time and have found the site interesting, informative and entertaining.
You'll know the best time for that invite to open and then the rest will take care of itself as you'll be chosen. Just prepare yourself mentally for kittens as I'd forgotten what it was like!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #337 on: March 20, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
well said Sheila, a break sounds like a good idea Jeremy, you've been through a lot these past weeks

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #336 on: March 20, 2013, 11:20:10 AM »
Your experience and wisdom will always be of value, Jeremy, regardless of whether you have no furry companion just now, or a hundred.

This is Purrs in our Hearts. Some of us have been right where you are now and we'll be here whenever you need us, as Purrs was here for us in our time of need.

Your kind of people.   :grouphug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #335 on: March 20, 2013, 11:10:15 AM »
Sorry people; I seem to have been misunderstood. By "take a break" I didn't mean from here and all my new friends, I meant as in take a holiday and leave a decent space before looking for a new furry person. It'd hardly be fair to invite a kitten into a house with the emotions around in ours right now.
Of course, I have no more cat things to post for the moment anyway but...

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #334 on: March 20, 2013, 10:46:19 AM »
RIP Jonah. xx

So sorry Jeremy.  :hug:

I hope you will lurk around here and come back to us when you are ready. You should know your struggle has affected us deeply and we all want you to be good to yourself and do whatever you need to do to come to terms with Jonah's loss.

Take care, until we meet again.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #333 on: March 20, 2013, 08:58:53 AM »
 :'(

I've been avoiding looking at the thread until this morning because I knew really what the outcome would be. You made the right choice for Jonah I think. I'm glad you had the extra time with him.

So sorry...

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #332 on: March 20, 2013, 08:45:51 AM »
so sorry Jeremy

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #331 on: March 20, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
Jeremy, my heart is heavy today. Like Sue, I've also shed a few tears over Jonah. Without even having met him it was quite obvious he was a great character and very dearly loved by yourself and Lynn.  :hug: :hug: :hug: I know that there is going to be a huge hole in your home right now but I'm happy to hear that when the time is right you are going to get another kitty.

Rest easy Jonah, you were very dearly loved.

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #330 on: March 20, 2013, 06:52:14 AM »

Oh Jeremy.  I confess I've shed tears over this one for all three of you  :(

I hope when the grieving is less intense, and the loss less raw, you'll come back to us, and it would be wonderful to think Jonah's legacy, and that of Thomas, Lenoir, Maximilian and Noons will go on when the time is right.   :hug: :hug:

Take care of yourself.  You need time to heal. 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #329 on: March 20, 2013, 01:34:04 AM »
We will all look forward to you returning to Purrs  sometime in the future :hug: :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #328 on: March 19, 2013, 23:59:10 PM »
I would like to thank everyone who took the time to post on this forum in response to my troubles. Your messages have frequently made me cry but I treasure every one of them. I must get my life back together and, in a few months find a new furry person to enrich my life. Jonah will never be forgotten and neither will Thomas (my first cat when I was 4), Lenoir, Maximilian or Noons. Very nearly an unbroken line of furry friends through my 49 years of life. Most died of old age for which I am grateful. Noons played chicken with a police car and lost. It was horrible but very much the way he'd have wanted to go: "I fought the law and the law won". He was a little devil. Jonah was a feline scholar.

Thanks to everyone once more and perhaps I will post the new life that joins mine. When the time is right. For now I need a break.

Jeremy

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2013, 22:14:19 PM »
Jonah touched all our hearts - I know I am going to miss him, so it must be hell for you

we know we have to let them go before us, but that doesn't make it one jot easier, and losing your father must make your emotions so much worse

take care :hug:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #326 on: March 19, 2013, 21:44:02 PM »
So very sorry.  He has left a purr in your heart and knew how much he was loved. You did everything you could for him  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

RIP Jonah, you will be meeting all our friends on the Bridge and please ask them to show you how to send a rainbow to your humans

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #325 on: March 19, 2013, 21:34:14 PM »
So sorry.   :hug:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #324 on: March 19, 2013, 21:19:57 PM »
So sorry for your loss. I hope your Dad has found Jonah by now and they are taking comfort together  :hug:

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Simon & Tom (Tabby, Silvie and Moses RIP)
« Reply #323 on: March 19, 2013, 20:35:54 PM »
So sorry to hear that, but he wont be suffering any more  :hug: :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #322 on: March 19, 2013, 20:01:55 PM »
Jonah is gone. If there's any justice in the universe he will be playing with my father who loved him.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #321 on: March 19, 2013, 15:47:12 PM »
its only a short GA, and if he has had it previously, it prob wouldnt take too long to refit? (I work in a hospital and we have patients who have very long term feeding tubes).

interesting reading about feeding tubes here in this article:

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=feedingtubes

but at the end of the day, its your cat and your decision, a very hard one to make :(:(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 15:48:10 PM by heather sullivan »

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #320 on: March 19, 2013, 15:37:19 PM »
Hi Heather. Yes although he'd need a GA which he might not survive in his weakened condition. Even if he pulled through that his jaw will not get any better so we'd have to feed him through a tube for the rest of his life. That is no life for a cat! I would do anything to fix his jaw so he could eat normally again but that seems impossible.

Offline heather sullivan

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #319 on: March 19, 2013, 15:07:19 PM »
Could the vet not re-insert his neck feeding tube? :(

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #318 on: March 19, 2013, 14:51:03 PM »
So very sorry to hear this  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Online Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #317 on: March 19, 2013, 13:54:02 PM »
We will be thinking of you this afternoon you have both fought a very brave battle but sometimes they know when the time is right

Its the hardest thing we do for them  :hug:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #316 on: March 19, 2013, 13:41:59 PM »
I'm so very sorry to hear this Jeremy  :'( :'( :'(

My thoughts are with you and Lynn. I'm sure you know that you've done all that you possibly could and I'm sure Jonah knows he couldn't be more loved.  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 13:42:33 PM by Tigerlily (Allison) »

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #315 on: March 19, 2013, 12:49:44 PM »
I am so very very sorry.
 :hug:

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #314 on: March 19, 2013, 12:44:39 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear this, I've been following your thread and like everyone hoped that something could be done

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »

Jeremy, our hearts go out to you and to Lynn.   Such a dreadful decision to have to make, and especially now.   :hug: :hug:

May Jonah's end be a peaceful one.  He's a truly remarkable and much loved cat, and you're giving him the greatest gift anyone could in the circumstances.   :hug: :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2013, 12:33:40 PM »
I'm sorry to say that we are having Jonah put to sleep later today after a long talk with the vet. We might try this or that but what they suggested is just stronger painkillers or a complex operation with very little chance of success. It's time for me to say goodbye to my beloved cat and stop his pain.

Jeremy

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #311 on: March 19, 2013, 11:46:53 AM »
Sending more of these for you, Lynn and Jonah  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Link to CatChat