Author Topic: unexplained aversion to food  (Read 45942 times)

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
Re: unexplained aversion to food
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2013, 11:38:36 AM »
He's a true gastronome.....   :evillaugh:

Gotta say I admire his taste in wine too although for preference I'd go Chilean  ;)

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: jonah
« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2013, 11:15:58 AM »
He does fit his box rather well and it's a very suitable box too - a Virgin wine 12 bottle box! He likes wine and always tries to help himself to mine though he's banned while convalescent. Beforehand he'd get a taste of as much as would stick to my fingertip after I dipped it into my glass. He shows a marked preference for Argentinian merlot. As for the 'shrooms in stock; that was our supper and came with some lovely slices of silverside, cooked sous vide for 18 hours. I highly recommend this process as it turned a cheap cut of meat which is normally tough as old boots into something with the texture of fillet and the taste of roast beef. Jonah has his beef raw beforehand but he's always been a fan of mushrooms so I slipped him some.

:hug:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2013, 08:11:03 AM »
Jeremy, I always have a little chuckle over Jonah's rather unusual (for a cat) diet  :evillaugh: Mushrooms stewed in beef stock  :evillaugh: But who cares, if he's eating, then that's great  :) :)

Keep it up please Jonah  :)

Exactly my thoughts.   :) :hug:   What a splendid box that Jonah has.  Doesn't he fill it beautifully?   :Luv2:
Sending him lots of love and snoozles to start his day.   :Luv:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2013, 07:58:35 AM »
Jeremy, I always have a little chuckle over Jonah's rather unusual (for a cat) diet  :evillaugh: Mushrooms stewed in beef stock  :evillaugh: But who cares, if he's eating, then that's great  :) :)

Keep it up please Jonah  :)
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2013, 01:48:23 AM »
PS: sorry about the quality but nexus 7 only has a 1mbit camera.  In all other ways a fine machine...

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »
And here he is!

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2013, 01:33:24 AM »
Hi everyone. Latest on Jonah ; he seems to have become a night owl.  Lynn was concerned that he wasn't eating earlier this evening but when I got home at 9pm he managed 110g of meat plus two mushrooms cut up and stewed in beef stock plus an entire pouch and plenty of water. He's a funny old grub really refusing food one minute then stuffing his face like a trooper. His nose is still a worry and the right side of his jaw has dribble on but he still seems up for the fight.  He burrowed into my armpit this evening and gave a great purr of contentment. Then sneezed so nothing is perfect but...
He's now sparkoed in his box next to me in the bath. He fills that box pretty much completely; I shall have to post a picture.

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #263 on: March 12, 2013, 11:00:41 AM »
Yes you're right. I think the normal range for cat temperature is between about 100 and 102 degrees Farenheit  (sorryI  don't know offhand what that is in Centigrade).

I hope Johnah improves today.  :hug: 

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #262 on: March 12, 2013, 10:31:55 AM »
Well, he's managed a few pieces of meat but with difficulty; I hold a bit and he sniffs at it then kind of snaps his jaws but really reluctantly around the meat. It's as if he's really only doing it for me rather than because he's hungry. He did manage a miow but... I also notice he's dribbling from one side of his mouth. It can't be his teeth because the vet checks those every time he goes and he's been a *lot* recently. He used his litter which is good then back to the bathroom. I think he'd really like me to get back into bed so he could spend the day stretched out next to me in the warm and dark but sadly big people have work to go to so he's going to have to put up with the bathroom.
Hopefully he'll eat a bit more tonight. He still feels a bit hot but perhaps not so much as last night. Jonah has always felt a bit hotter than me mind; perhaps cats run at a slightly higher temperature than humans? He also has less fur now, it having been shaved for various procedures, so perhaps I am just feeling it more directly.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #261 on: March 12, 2013, 08:07:33 AM »
Come on Jonah, you've been doing so well.

Hope he's doing better today Jeremy.  :hug: :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #260 on: March 12, 2013, 07:01:04 AM »

Oh Jonah, treasure - that's not such good news.  Sending a special hug for you.   :hug: :hug:

Jeremy, I know this will be worrying, and hoping it's just a blip.  How has he been overnight?

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #259 on: March 12, 2013, 02:06:57 AM »
I do hope he is Ok  :hug: :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #258 on: March 12, 2013, 01:44:55 AM »
Hi all all you caring people...  Jonah has not been so good today. He's only eaten 60g and to me seems to be running a temperature.  He refused all food when I got home from work and took him self off to the bathroom soon after where he is now. Maybe he's just having an off day.  We will see tomorrow...

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #257 on: March 11, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »
To hear that Jonah is doing so well is a great start to my week  :) :) :)

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #256 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:42 AM »

I love the statement that he was "being a pest"  :evillaugh:  As you say - they have to be feelin better to do that kind of a job.   :Luv:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #255 on: March 10, 2013, 16:17:21 PM »
He does seem to be, yes. He refused some meat this morning but I had to go to work again. Lynn skyped me to say he'd eaten 75g of meat later plus one of the strange catfood tins the vet gave us - chicken apparently but it looks more like crab meat - and he'd not previously touched. In fact, to tempt him, I put some meat on top. When I checked later he'd neatly removed and eaten the meat leaving the strange white stringy stuff underneath untouched. Seems he's changed his mind.

Then he came and nosed her leg while she was skyping this to me and has been a pest (which is good; they have to be feeling well to be pests) getting underfoot while she tried to clean his room.

He also crept under the duvet three times this morning and tried to get as much of himself against me as possible; he does this by standing up under the covers and leaning sideways against me and sliding down. I can either move or stay put with Jonah's body sort of propped up on my chest and tummy. It's funny if he falls asleep like that tough because his paws and whiskers start to twitch! Sometimes if he gets to enthusiastic chasing dream mice I stroke his head to wake him up and he starts, then wakes up and gives me a little trill. Maybe it was a bad dream, who knows?

But definitely on the mend.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #254 on: March 10, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »
 :wow: :wow: :wow:

Wonderful news! I'm so glad he seems to be really picking up at last.

:Luv: :Luv:

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #253 on: March 10, 2013, 12:47:24 PM »
It's so nice reading Jonah's story,well done to him. :Luv2:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #252 on: March 10, 2013, 06:43:05 AM »
 :wow: :wow: :Luv2: :Luv2:  Oh Jonah, you lovely boy - making up for a bit of lost time (and poundage).  Lovely to read this post first thing.  :Luv:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #251 on: March 10, 2013, 00:45:46 AM »
I'll see what I can do, it's more of a poncho thing than a true jumper and before the problems he didn't like it; he'd refuse to jump up if I had it on my lap but now I think he likes the warmth. I can hear him slowly breathing in his box as I type in my bath  :Luv:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #250 on: March 10, 2013, 00:40:41 AM »
Ps: I dunno about George IV but I'd be happy if he went up to 'lean' from 'emaciated'.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #249 on: March 10, 2013, 00:39:21 AM »
Thats so great and wish you had a photo of him up your jumper  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #248 on: March 10, 2013, 00:38:11 AM »
Jonah is eating for England! I've been at work today but apparently he's been stuffing himself silly. And he ate a whole pouch when I got back at 9pm. He sat on my lap and tried to burrow under my sweater and ended up with his head sticking out the neck. He promptly fell asleep like that. He's now sparkoed in his bathroom box. His nose seems clear and his neck wound is healing nicely. Maybe he'll be with us for a bit yet...

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #247 on: March 08, 2013, 13:25:45 PM »
Gooooooooooooooooooo Jonah  :wow: :wow:

I do hope he will eat well   :hug: :hug:

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #245 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
If he is drinking then perhaps liquidisng up his food and putting the powder in that may help I liquidise fiid 6 times a day fro my Calichi boy and he gets all sorts lobbed in and laps accordingly we have 2 lots of stuff from the vet including one that looks like Bovril for a better expresssion and 2 pumps of that is equivalent to a cats calorie in take and he gets that in one meal and I am also adding to my not so stable Hyper T girl Clio to keep up the calorie intakes
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #244 on: March 08, 2013, 11:49:07 AM »
Tumultuous is the word for sure! I think he's quite glad the tube has gone too but now the onus is on him to eat properly; we have no fallback. He shows good signs though; we got his steroid in disguised inside two bits of steak but the nose powder will be trickier as it must be sprinkled over food which he must then eat. I can't imagine anything more likely to stop a cat eating something than finding sprinkled meds on it but there you go. He's still drinking a lot, too. We shall see....

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #243 on: March 08, 2013, 11:11:23 AM »
I'm sort of glad he managed to get the tube out himself and hope he manages to eat something cat like soon

Offline CatGirl

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #242 on: March 08, 2013, 11:08:24 AM »
Wow,what a day  :hug: :hug:to you and Jonah.

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #241 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:53 AM »
So it was quite an eventful day for Jonah yesterday.

I hope that you can get him interested in some cat food.  :hug: :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #240 on: March 08, 2013, 07:10:28 AM »

Cor blimey Jeremy - a tumultuous day for you both!  Sometimes cats know what's best for themselves, and seems like Jonah was making his feelings known.   :innocent:   Very glad the vet wasn't concerned, and also that he didn't charge - nice fellow.   :)

C'mon Jonah - gotta keep up the good work eating now, bonny lad.   ;) :catlove2:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #239 on: March 08, 2013, 02:05:56 AM »
Hi all, this has been a long day! After taking the Snidge to the vets this morning we went to work. Getting back this evening we discovered that he'd managed to pull his feeding tube mostly out. Cue panicked calls to the emergency 24 hour vets and a trip to the hospital in a taxi. When the bandages were cut away it turned out he'd pulled it completely out. The vet said he can stay like that and will heal naturally but he's now on his own for food. He also said 'as Jonah has done my work for me there's no charge' for which I thank you.

So here we are again with me in the bath and him curled up next to it. He's had a long day with two outside excursions. But he no longer has a neck bandage and you wouldn't believe the purring when I brushed his neck where it was! He's also drunk a lot and I was worried the water was coming out of his neck hole! But that's silly of course; it's already sealed over.

Whoof! Let's see how he does over the next few days...

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #238 on: March 07, 2013, 22:39:15 PM »
That all sounds really positive.
Zooplus were doing sample packs I think. It could be worth seeing if they have any different food he may like.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #237 on: March 07, 2013, 18:18:32 PM »
Well that's a whole lot more positive news.   :Luv:  Got fingers well and truly crossed for the next two weeks, and hoping you can reintroduce cat food too - if not, I'd incline to the view its better to have him eating, whatever it is, than not.   :hug: :hug:

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #236 on: March 07, 2013, 17:52:35 PM »
Oh, he used to, yes. He liked to supplement with people food and more recently only took people food - but that was because of his nose problem. He needs to eat like a horse, anyway!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #235 on: March 07, 2013, 17:45:34 PM »
Great the news is good and another two weeks for Jonah to start eating like a cat  :rofl: :rofl:  Did he ever?

Offline jrichemont

• Adult Cat
« Reply #234 on: March 07, 2013, 17:42:33 PM »
Thanks, everyone.

Well, the vet said he's put on 350g of weight, his heart sounds fine, his temperature is fine - he 'loves' that bit, having a thermometer suck up his jacksie - and the skin around the tube is healing - last time she said it was becoming necrotic where the sutures were so this is good. The main issue is his feeding. While it's good that he's eating all that raw meat it's not a fully balanced diet for a cat and he needs to try to get back to catfood; whichever sort he'll eat, really. I have some samples to try him on but the medicated stuff from the vets is like a paté which he's never liked - unless it's a good duck paté with jelly and cranberry bits we got for ourselves of course, he makes an exception there. But the catfood like that he just won't eat, he likes jelly and lumps. I'll keep feeding him the meat but try and get him to eat other stuff however I can. Perhaps meat, pasta and veggies would suit? He'd like that, anyway.
If he can't feed himself properly with his nose/palette condition though we will have to consider operating but that's very much a last ditch thing.
The RVC consultant is now away for a couple of weeks so everything's on hold till then when we will see what state he's in and think about a route forward.
Fingers crossed for the next couple of weeks anyway where he must just build up his strength and put on loads of weight!

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #233 on: March 07, 2013, 15:53:40 PM »
Me too. I always look at this thread. I hope it goes/went well...

:Luv:

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #232 on: March 07, 2013, 08:04:06 AM »
Jeremy, will be thinking of you and Jonah today  :hug: :hug:

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #231 on: March 07, 2013, 05:01:22 AM »
Good luck for today Jeremy.  Much love to Jonah.

Link to CatChat