Author Topic: ELLE NOT WELL AGAIN PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1889 times)

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
Re: ELLE NOT WELL AGAIN PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 18:31:30 PM »
Thankyou everyone for your kindness and advice

normally kidneys can be seen perfectly well on xray and of course lots of practices have ultrasound nowadays but i think being as she is have a spay op anyway and they are already in the abdominal cavity they are going to have an extra lookie, this will only mean making the op wound a tiny bit bigger probably although im not sure if they might opt for a midline spay but either way nothing too much more major than a routine spay really.  I guess they are wanting to see that even if there is an absent kidney everything else is normal enough.  (my guess anyway)
Thanks Lynn  :hug: and for your lovel message too

They said that rather than have to sedate her twice it was easier to have a look round while they were spaying her and Daisy they  can have a good look round and to ensure everthing else is where is should be  :'(

I am so please Lynn posted about the kidney, is it necessary to open Elle up to find anothet one? Sorry that Louis is fighting with Gizme, could it be the vet visit thats the cause.

You having so many probs right now do hope things start to improve  :hug: :hug: :hug:

I think if she had already been spayed they would have done the x-ray route and scan (they dont have one ) but as she is being spayed it saves 2 sedations

Louis and Giz have been fighting a couple of weeks before Louis was poorly, they were such close brothers before and so totally inseperable now its like they actually HATE each other and it really upsets me (I know that may sound silly)  :'( :'( :'(

I was just so shocked when they said they could find only one kidney I felt like I had a melon in my throat that was choking me........although they are 10 months nearly they are so, so tiny their Mum was a sweet little wee thing. I do feel better reading all your replies and I thank you all for that

your such lovely people

x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 18:31:07 PM »
So sorry for all you've been through, Smudge :hug: I know that people can cope well on one kidney unless that kidney has problems; not sure about cats. Didn't realise crf more prevalent in cats than people.

Just one thing, Lynn: isn't it thrush which is caused by antibiotics, not cystitis. I thought that they were a treatment for bladder problems, not a cause? Again, this may not be the same in cats as in humans.

Good luck Smudge  :Flowers:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 18:11:14 PM »
normally kidneys can be seen perfectly well on xray and of course lots of practices have ultrasound nowadays but i think being as she is have a spay op anyway and they are already in the abdominal cavity they are going to have an extra lookie, this will only mean making the op wound a tiny bit bigger probably although im not sure if they might opt for a midline spay but either way nothing too much more major than a routine spay really.  I guess they are wanting to see that even if there is an absent kidney everything else is normal enough.  (my guess anyway)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 17:57:29 PM »
I am so please Lynn posted about the kidney, is it necessary to open Elle up to find anothet one? Sorry that Louis is fighting with Gizme, could it be the vet visit thats the cause.

You having so many probs right now do hope things start to improve  :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 15:35:38 PM »
sorry things are rough for you right now, Smudge  :hug:

I don't know much about kidneys but people seem to do ok with just one so I'd guess cats can manage with just one too.

So sorry to hear things are so bad with your nephew and that there's no hope of him getting better  :hug:

Offline Beccles

• Distinguished Cat
  • Daphne and Elettra born 18.06.06, Figaro 23.08.07
    • My weblog: Comprehension Dawns
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 14:57:13 PM »
Oh, poor Elle.

AFAIR humans only need 20-30% kidney function to be pretty much fine, I suspect it's something similar for cats so one healthy fully functional kidney would be no problem at all.

Many hugs to you and yours.  :hug:
Spaying and neutering saves lives.
Nobody has a right to own a cat. It's a privilege.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 14:09:09 PM »
Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2007, 14:05:36 PM »
aaww smudge massive  :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

I was going to mail you last night to ask but thought with your lack of posts i'd better not, that doesnt mean to say you have dissapeared from my thoughts.  I heart just goes out to your family and little darling nephew :hug:

Anyway yes i have known of cats to have only one kidney and normally an "incidental" finding. I have also known for cats to have one odd "atrophied" kidney that was probably no good for anything. I dont know why this happens but i do know humans can also have the same incidental conditions.  As far as i am aware as in humans the only problem will be is if that kidney has something wrong with it but in a normal healthy cat there shouldnt be too much of a problem in the here and now, as for older age when crf is likely in an older cat i do not know if only having one kidney would be any more likely to speed up the condition or not since crf affects both kidneys anyway, i guess if there was only the one it would be trying to do the job of too so perhaps cope less well.

I hope she gets over her cystitis, again antibiotics can cause this in humans esp women so hopefully it is just an after effect of them and not an on going problem

Luv to you
Lynn X

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
ELLE NOT WELL AGAIN PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 12:21:14 PM »
Hello all
Sorry I haven't had time to catchup and post time has not permitted me to  :'(

Just some more advice again.... As some of you know Elle (10 months) had a mouth abscess and was treated with antibiotics. 2 days ago she started to show signs of cystitis, just peeing a little but sitting in the tray a lot. Off to the vets we went AGAIN this morning.

On examination they can only find one kidney  :'( they said it is possible that it could be behind another organ :'( :'( :'(

Both her and Daisy are going in to be spayed once Elle antiobitics are finished, they are then going to open her up a little further to see if they can locate the other kidney

I was too upset to ask the whys and wherefores of the implications if she does have one kidney so I wondered if any of you knew of cats with one kidney  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

(update Louis) still had odd shaped eyes but is eating drinking normally though still fighting with his once best friend Gizmo which makes me sad

(update Baby) There is no hope its just a matter of when sadly :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( I cant even bare to type about the last 2 weeks let alone speak about him  :'( :'( :'(

Thankyou all again
xx
« Last Edit: April 12, 2007, 13:09:18 PM by smudgepickles »

Link to CatChat