Author Topic: moving Charlie for Easter...  (Read 2085 times)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
Re: moving Charlie for Easter...
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 13:06:21 PM »

Needless to say after such an action packed weekend, back at home he was utterly exhausted. He slept most of yesterday!

That's what Lirael does every time ;)

The only problem we have come across with her is she doesn't like cowboy hats, a friend wore one over the house and she wouldn't go near him (and she loves everyone!)

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 13:00:34 PM »
glad to hear it all went so well  :Luv:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 12:56:51 PM »
Charlie coped brilliantly with our Easter move. After we arrived he scoured each and every room with a fine tooth comb - I managed to lure him back downstairs with the clink of Hills pellets in his bowl. My parents had friends round on Saturday so the house was heaving plus there were two dogs. Charlie was an absolute star - totally curious, loving the attention, sniffing the dog's bums etc. He pooped and peed in his litter tray, slept with us like an angel and only twice tried to eat my mum's new orchid.
Needless to say after such an action packed weekend, back at home he was utterly exhausted. He slept most of yesterday!
Wee star! Very proud of him.
xx

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 12:50:28 PM »
Smoke had her first trip over the in laws for Easter, she did pretty well. Mostly stayed in the spare room where my husband and I slept. She came down at night or when it was quiet to check things out and eat.

She did get lots of chicken as 3 of us took some up for her, which she gobbled it all.

Our other cat Lirael who had been over their house many times ran around and was fine.

I did take a nap on Sunday and Smoke decided to sleep on me, then Lirael joined us (I couldn't move!).

Not going to take Smoke over there often, just wanted to make sure she could handle it when we were there in case we go off to the US for 2 weeks this year.

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 14:58:29 PM »
Thanks for all your thoughts and advice.
It really is down to the cat isn't it? Charlie's such a social boy and he's tough too. He's already met a dog and handled things so well - even chasing said dog around our flat! So I think we will take him tomorrow with scratching post, kitten blankets, toys galore etc etc.
I guess there's no way of knowing how it'll go unless we try it! Fingers crossed. If it's awful, we can always bring him home - it's not that far.
Hope you all have lovely Easters!

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 16:09:57 PM »
I took my 3 cats to my parents house for 5 days the christmas before last.  It wasn't that happy a time for them to be honest, but the youngest was only 5 months old and I didn't want to risk leaving him with my absent minded housemate who doesn't normally do anything towards the care of the cats and works very funny hours.  She would never have remembered 3 meals a day and to let the older cats out, but not the young 'un and to shut them all in at night.

Anyway, it was a 2 hour journey and the older 2 were ok in the car in a big carrier together, but the youngest was quite stressed and pooed as well as being sick in his carrier - not a very nice fragrance in the car  :evillaugh:

Once at my parent's house they basically hid in one room for the whole 5 days unless it was just me in the house or at night - then they were happy to come out and play and look around.  As it was christmas there were a fair few visitors too, including a couple of toddlers, who weren't allowed anywhere near the cats but were very noisy (as kids are) and my cats are scared of kids as they rarely come across them.  Towards the end of the stay they were more relaxed, but still very much preferred to hide and sleep unless it was quiet.

I did take the most laid back cat out into the garden on a lead and he enjoyed that, but the other two wouldn't have coped so I didn't try.

I'd say that if your parents house is likely to be calm and quiet then go for it.  I'd take mine again rather than leave them with someone who would forget to feed them and let them in/out.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 17:01:12 PM »
As you can see we all have different opinions and all you can do is what you think is in your cats best interest. ;D
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 16:53:44 PM »
We take our cat Lirael over to my husband’s parents a few times a year, like we’re going this weekend.

Though this weekend it’s a bit different as the new addition to the family Smoke will be going as well.

It’s an hour drive and Lirael has always dealt well with it, she like to sing the entire time though.  And taking Smoke to the vets has been really easy so I’m guessing we’ll have no problems this weekend.

I think it depends on the cat ;)

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 15:49:28 PM »
my best friend often took her cats with her to her parents and they were fine with it.

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 15:37:19 PM »
shay :if u have a good friend/neighbour who u trust 100 percent then id leave ur little one at home and let ur friend come in and feed him .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 15:10:47 PM »
Hey Ela,

Thanks for your reply.

Charlie's around eight months now. I've only taken him to the vet's once as I've only had him two months or so - he was absolutely fine. He's a very chilled cat.
Both my partner and I work from home so he's used to people being around all day - this would be the first time he's been left this long. I'm confident he wouldn't go walkabouts - he's way too scared of going outside. Do you think I shouldn't take him? Is it too unsettling do you think?

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 15:05:34 PM »
How is Charlie when you take him to the vets? How old is he? If he is under 6 months he may need attention more than twice a day. I personally would rather have someone come in a couple of times a day and leave the TV on during the day and perhaps a radio at night. So many cats do go missing when people take them on holiday with them equally do cats when their owners go away and the carer lets them out, best to be kept in while you are away. Unless he is an indoor cat anyway.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Shay

• Adult Cat
  • Charlie's feeder
moving Charlie for Easter...
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 15:00:11 PM »
Hey everyone! Hope you're all looking forward to Easter.
I'm in a bit of a dilemma. We're heading to my parents for Easter weekend and want to take our young indoor cat Charlie with us. I've got a friend who has offered to feed Charlie whenever we're away but I know how much he loves company and he'd hate just having someone feed him twice a day.
So I'm all primed to take him with us but is this very unsettling for cats? Dogs can travel easy but I'm thinking cats are not! If so, would I be better off getting my friend to come in over the weekend? Or, does anyone have any tips on how best to settle him in at my parents?
Thanks as always!

Link to CatChat