Author Topic: collars, help please?  (Read 3640 times)

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
Re: collars, help please?
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 10:59:18 AM »
Funny about the male/female thing because my girl has never lost a collar but the boys have lost probably a dozen each (so thats 20+  expensive magnets too) over the last couple of years.  Maddy is the homebody though, she loves going outside but never goes very far and doesn't like to jump wheras the boys go out less but travel further and get into scrapes more.

I'd love to not have collars as all but until I move to a house where I can catproof then I am stuck with magnetic catflap to keep the dozens of neighbourhood cats out.  I have lived in the current house for just over a year and even though they have never been able to get in through it, I see several cats every day trying to use my catflap  >:(

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2007, 22:59:26 PM »
Mine started wearing their collars at 5 and 11 months.  They weren't too pleased to start with, but they got used to them quickly :)  I took the bells off straight away tho!  That jangling drives me mad, never mind them!!!  :Crazy:  Wish I didn't have to put collars on them at all, but I'd rather they were visible when they're out, and the collars make it clear they own somebody.  Sabu tho, he's already lost three ... yes ... THREE collars! He's on his fourth in as many months :lol:  Little demon he is!  So no posh diamantes for him!  The girls are still on their original kitty collars.  Boys, eh? 

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Bridge babies Lucifer & Neko. Sparecat, Saph
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2007, 22:11:52 PM »
thanks hippykitty, its one from kitty collars that i got for him ( been lurking too long to make that mistake!!) i took the bell off (im not fussed either way about him having a bell) and ive stopped the id tag from jangling and he'll wear it but i got a look that can only be described as murderous intent  :shify:

so ill keep trying but probably only once/twice a week for a few mins at a time. i so very nearly brought one of the printed collars and then didnt  :stupid: and now i want to wait and make sure hell actually wear it if i shell out for a second one for him! i prefer cats without collars tbh, appearence wise. imo nature created them perfect so why mess! but most people i know assume a collarless cat is homeless, and wouldnt automatically scan a cat  >:( so if hes going outside i want him to wear one, just incase. im abit of a worrier if you couldnt tell!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »
Sorry if someone has already mentioned this, but if you by a KittyCollar (google it) you can specify that you don't want the bell. If this is causing the probs, then having one with no bell will help. These are safety release collars.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 15:54:50 PM »
I started all of mine on collars at about 4 months old.  Soft nylon cheap ones (safety though of course) at first until they got used to them.  Short periods of wearing them at first and always supervised until they had completely stopped noticing them.  It meant that by the time they went outdoors (6-8 months old) they were all happily oblivious to their collars.  I have never made them wear a bell though - it annoys the heck out of me listening to it and I don't have to wear it like them.  I put up with the dead birds and mice rather than them have bells.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 10:51:52 AM »

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 22:36:43 PM »
i got lucifer one of the snap apart ones and im paranoid so i tested it alot to make sure it would come off easily (it'll probably fall off if i ever get  him to wear it  :rofl: )
the bell attachment isnt metal like it looks, it snapped so that wont ever be going back on! :tired:
just tried him again with it , while fussing him cos that distacts him and he wasnt as crazy but still spooked and he ran away from me  :'(
hes was trying to catch the identity bit this time, i think with perserverence he might accept it though. think ill wait a few days before the next go so he doesnt start feeling like im untrustworthy
didn't want to start a new thread so hope Snarf doesn't mind me hijacking hers!
not at all, hijack away! its a good question  ;D

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 15:52:55 PM »
I Had some really beautiful collars for mine
i had a blue one with tweety pie on for bailey lol
and i had pink ones with all silver hearts on for the girls and they all had id tags on with there names engraved on them
but someone posted something about collars becoming dangerous and i paniced (big time )
and took them all off lol
they look very smart with collars on ive always thought lol  :Luv:
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 16:07:58 PM by forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa) »
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 14:59:33 PM »
Thanks Ellie (and Marla of course)  ;D 

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 14:57:19 PM »
Just had a reply from Marla and she suggests from about six months  :)

At least now I have a few months to decide on a colour for Widget  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 13:56:11 PM »
Muppet has the red one and Rascal has a pink girlie one  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

I was thinking of the green or blue for Widget  :sneaky:

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 13:44:23 PM »
ROFL Helen I was looking at the blue one for Estella  :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 13:43:17 PM »
Thanks Ellie, that would be great...

It's so hard choosing what colour to go for though, I like the urban camoflague ones from kitty collars but don't think they would 'go' the colour of their fur!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 13:38:50 PM »
Would be interested to know the answer to that one too. I have some the "diamante" (don't ask I was being a new gawky mum when I got them) in 3 colours for Lexy but know that I will want to have one for Estella later.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 13:37:00 PM »
My two have kitty collars but HAD to take the bell off as it freaked them out  :Crazy:

I bought them cheap safety ones just to see if they would accept wearing one, after 3 days of finding them all over the house  >:( they kept them on  :sneaky: So I treated them to a kitty collar one and they look so much better on them  :Luv:

Helen I have emailed Marla at kitty collars to ask her advice about kittens and collars as I want Widget to have one  ;D I'll let you know when I get a reply.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
Another collar question...
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 13:23:44 PM »
This thread has got me thinking, didn't want to start a new thread so hope Snarf doesn't mind me hijacking hers!

What age is best to start them wearing collars?  They'll be too little when they first come home, I know that, but don't want to have a Lucifer situation wher they get upset at wearing one so thought it best to start them wearing one as soon as possible.  I know they do 'kitten' collars aswell as adult ones but what sort of age is OK for them to start wearing a collar?

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 22:29:24 PM »
I would try taking the bell off - have only had to do it with one of my cats, the rest have all accepted it - and apart from her, all the cats I have put collars on have been 10+, I haven't known if they have ever worn one before, or how long ago if they had, and all have been fine - Molly currently isn't wearing hers, as I haven't figured out how to tighten the bit her name tag fits onto so it doesn't fall off. Lucy is the first cat in a long while to go out without a collar, i didn't get chance to try and find one that would fit her first!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 21:12:50 PM »
I think that a collar is a good idea so if they have outside access, and both my girls will have to wear one. but for now...well...why disturb the peace!!

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 21:10:13 PM »
mine r all quite happy to wear a collar (even molly who only wore one for the first time in her whole life when she came to us )
but since becoming a member of this board and learning the dangers of collars ive took all there collers off and put them away in the drawer
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 20:56:28 PM »

I put the original bells on my purse so I can tell if it's in my handbag by shaking it - I've had them on various purses for 23 years now!
thats such a good idea! (runs off to attach bells to purse)

Is Lucifer used to wearing a collar?

i doubt it, we've only known each other for a month and wherever he was before he either didnt have a home or it wasnt a particularly responsible one (IMO)

I would prefer she wear a collar just in case, but for now, I am happy to keep it off her. If she were to have outside access she would have to get used to a collar and the safety collars are the best.

this is why i wanted to start him wearing one if i could, at the moment hes indoor only, but when i move, ill have a garden which i plan to secure to give him some safe outdoor play. im still worried he might manage to escape though.  im a worrier

thanks for help, ill try the collar for short times while distracting him and see how it goes

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2007, 20:33:12 PM »
I remove bells and then divert attention, the fosters have been here so long they get to go out so i put their collars on and then opened the door, they soon forgot about them!
Dont be tempted to put it on loose to let him get use to it as they can get into more trouble that way.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2007, 19:48:49 PM »
Is Lucifer used to wearing a collar?

Mine don't wear collars now but I did try them with collars when they were younger in case they ever went outside and needed them to get in via a magnetic catflap.  They hated them to begin with but I just put them on for a short period of time then took them off and tried them again the next day for a bit longer.  They did get used to them in the end.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2007, 18:54:41 PM »
We had three ex-feral kittens who *hated* their collars.  We used to put their collars on before we fed them, and then took them off after they had finished their food, leaving it longer and longer each time.  Two got used to them and were fine - the third was also ok, but kept losing them so we eventually gave up with her....

I agree getting rid of the bell is a good thing, I put the original bells on my purse so I can tell if it's in my handbag by shaking it - I've had them on various purses for 23 years now!

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2007, 18:44:40 PM »
Snarf, Lexy refuses a collar too. She is not happy with it on. I took the bell off... still not happy. She's an indoor cat and is chipped, and her legs don't carry her high enough to want to get out a window.

I would prefer she wear a collar just in case, but for now, I am happy to keep it off her. If she were to have outside access she would have to get used to a collar and the safety collars are the best.

Offline snarf

• Hero Cat
collars, help please?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2007, 18:36:36 PM »
i got lucifer a very snazzy safety collar from kitty collars, he absolutly hates it though! he went completely nuts running and trying to scratch it off and then he arched up and fluffed up and did the hissing/spitting/hopping thing.
 im guessing that the bell on it is a major part of the problem?  he doesnt need a collar at the moment as hes not going out and im still undecided about wether he'll be allowed unsupervised outdoor access when weve moved but id like it if he was able to wear a collar, even just for high risk times (of escape i mean)

is there anything i can do to get him to agree to wear it? or is it a lost cause? i dont want to try it again (even without the bell) untill ive had some opinions from someone who knows more, dont want to upset him!

Link to CatChat