Author Topic: When to start giving adult food?  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: When to start giving adult food?
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 11:23:25 AM »
Thank you for all your advice, going to the pet shop this weekend to get some adult hills, think we're going to go for the light option as Jess is an indoor moggy and I don't want him getting a saggy belly  :-:

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:58:34 AM »
You could start now. Mix it in with kitten stuff to give her tummy time to get used to it. Vets recommend to change around the time of the cat turning 1 but that will alwayd vary from cat to cat. 10 months is perfectly ok to start mixing gradually kitten and adult food.  :)

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 09:38:39 AM »
I have never stuck with kitten food for very long -
Personally i would start to make the switch onto adult food now.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 17:33:14 PM »
Oh no was it upsetting their tummies? Miss Boopy had adult food from being very young as it would have been impossible to feed her separately to the other 11 females.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 16:08:11 PM »
Mine were swapped over at 6 months as the kitten was too rich for them   :sick:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 12:50:41 PM »
I've just changed my girls onto adult food (wet & dry) they're 1 next month!!  To be honest I just changed it when the kitten food ran out - more complaints from either of them - have put them on hills light dry food as they both have baggy bellies  :rofl:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 12:30:16 PM »
I put Mosi onto adult food at around 9/10 months so I'd say Jess is ready to go onto adult.

I'd get some hills adult to mix with the kitten and gradually transition him over to the adult.  There shouldn't be much difference in the ingredients between adult and kitten of the same brand so it probably won't upset his tum, but still a good idea to change over gradually.

re the wet - because of the high water content it's usually easier to change over to something different without digestive upsets so I'd just feed the kitten pouches and when they're finished give him some felix adult pouches. 

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 12:08:37 PM »
I think while you have the supply of kitten food you could start  to gradually introduce the adult food.
To be honest your little ones are lucky, so many people do not bother with kitten food for very long and many not at all.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:44:59 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 11:57:05 AM »
They can have adult food from any age (Miss Boopy has been on it since she was 3-4months old). Definately mix the kitten and the adult together to start with to avoid any upset tummies (increase amount of adult food in the kitten gradually until on all adult). If you will use Hills Adult food be aware that it is quite high in calories and fat so Hills Light or Hills Indoor cat is a better move for a neutered cat to avoid Jess getting overweight.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
When to start giving adult food?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:26:43 AM »
Jess is 10 months old tomorrow and seems to be changing into an adult cat and losing his kitten ways, we currently have about 2 weeks of felix kitten pouches left and half a bag of hills science plan for kittens. When should be start introducing adult food??

I didn't know whether to mix them together maybe gradually introducing more adult food over time, any ideas

:thanks:

Link to CatChat