Author Topic: FLUFFY-Not well again  (Read 15097 times)

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
Re: FLUFFY-Not well again
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 12:43:28 PM »
does that cover FELV or do I need to check for that in a separate test,as if they end up doing bloods we mights as well check for that. Is there any treatment for FELV? I know its not curable but something to improve her life perhaps?

The FIV & FeLV test is a separate test, you must have worked at a vets a very long time ago as the test have been available for many many years.

Whole as you know  there is no cure for FIV cats recent research has shown that cats infected with FIV can live just as long as uninfected cats .A long-term FIV Monitoring Project was  carried out at Glasgow Veterinary School over a number of years and the results indicated that a higher percentage of FIV negative cats died than FIV positive cats! A fourteen year study by Maureen Hutchison B.Sc, BVMS, MRCVS  found that FIV-positive cats are more likely to die by being killed in road accidents or to be alive and well into their twilight years than they are to die from any FIV related condition. Also, a recent survey by Dr Diane D. Addie (Lecturer in Veterinary Virology, University of Glasgow) where 26 cats were monitored for ten years, found that FIV infection did not affect the cats’ life expectancy.

Of course to give FIV cats the best possible chance they really need to be kept as indoor cats.

Good luck for Monday.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 12:26:50 PM »
Thank You Amanda. I will certainly mention this when she gets dropped off on monday. Feel silly really now-not thinking of that myself as I used to work for a vet!!

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »
Tammy, i wouldn`t want to worry you even more than you are already and you need to be guided by your vet but personally i would ask them to give her a full general anaesthetic in this case. I know its not easy to say these sorts of things to your vet. I say this because the reversible anaesthetic isn`t the best option in older cats where a blood test hasn`t been done to show the workings of the major organs. Also, with sedation they do not put a tube down into the trachea to maintain the airway as they do with general anaesthesia. As she has respiratory problems it would probably be a good idea for this tube to be in to maintain an airway.

I wish you the best of luck for Monday. 

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 11:15:07 AM »
Thanks you guys. She is being xrayed monday, fingers crossed. They booked her in as an urgent case so that the vet could do her monday but are saying that the hosp list is looking full so we may have to wait till wednesday but for now its monday. The vet did say that if nothing definitive is found in xrays they will do a full blood screen, does that cover FELV or do I need to check for that in a separate test,as if they end up doing bloods we mights as well check for that. Is there any treatment for FELV? I know its not curable but something to improve her life perhaps?

Thank you all for the kind words, Fluff appreciates it :)

Online Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2007, 09:08:18 AM »
Good morning Tammy,

As everybody else has said there is nothing much that I can say, far too many symptoms for me to possibly hazard a guess with all my cat experience.  If the blood tests have shown nothing up so far then maybe the x-rays will, when are the x-rays due to be carried out?  My Spotty was diagnosed asthmatic after an x-ray.

I am sending positive vibes to you  :hug:

Hope Fluffy is feeling better soon   :blow kiss:
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2007, 08:59:50 AM »
Any advice and support would be useful

I don't think we are in a position to offer much advice in Fluffys case, as it really is a vet 'thing'.  Although if your vet cannot find out the true problem very soon perhaps a second opinion could be obtained. Obviously you vet would be able to pass on all blood and ex-ray results on to the other vet so that should cut down the expense. all we can do is be here for you.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 05:46:35 AM »
This is one instance where testing for FLV may be appropriate. She may have a problem with her chest related to the virus. Ensure that it's a VIRUS and not an antibody test. Also, a full blood count may be useful to check her platelet levels.

Lots of good vibes.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2007, 23:50:16 PM »
So sorry to hear about Fluffy, hope everything goes well  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2007, 21:54:37 PM »
Tammy sorry to hear Fluffy has taken a turn for the worse ... I can't offer any advice but I will be praying for herand sending lots of positive vibes that Mr Vet can get to the route of problem.

Take care hun and big hugs to you and Fluffy  :grouphug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 21:50:22 PM »
Can't really offer any advice, but am happy to offer virtual support  :hug:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 21:58:26 PM by Baggy »

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 21:37:14 PM »
That is good then - I wouldnt' count on it just being 5 mins max for an x-ray though, we thought that with Tiger, and half an hour later, they had to give her an anaesthetic after a sedation didn't work!!
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 21:29:40 PM »
last bloods showed absolutely nothing. I did voice my concerns about sedation but the vet seems pretty certain that she has no probs with kidneys/liver/heart and as she would only be under for 5 mins max and itd be reversed straight after shed be fine as she'd come round from it lots quicker than proper anasthesia

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 21:23:40 PM »
I do remember her now - the only prob with waiting till she is sedated is in case the bloods show anythign with her liver or kidneys, I dont know if the protocol for those is different in sedation than anaesthetics though. Did the last bloods show anything?
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 21:19:02 PM »
Fluffy is almost 13 yrs old. She had bloods when she 1st got poorly a few months back, but as needles stress her out we decided to wait until she was sedated to have bloods at the same time as her xray this time round  :scared:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 21:17:05 PM »
Aww, the poor babe, I do hope the vet can find the reason for it soon. How old is she, and has the vet run any blood tests?
Please spay your cat

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
FLUFFY-Not well again
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 21:05:53 PM »
As some of you may be aware Fluffy was put on steroids about 5 months ago due to gleeding from her nose. Actual cause never established but thaught to be a form of autoimmune disorder.

She has been rather unwell for the past month or so, not eating all that well and losing 800g in weight. She has also in the last few days devloped shallow fast breething. She went back to the vets today and we have been told she has to have x rays and further looks doen her respiratory tract as it could be either an infection or further swelling/blockage of her nasal passage causing her dificulty breathing. Vet listened to her lungs and heart and could not hear any probs apart from the increased respiratory output.

We also have to have her urine analysed as she has been going loo loads in the past 1 weeks or so (her litter is water logged several times a day,in the past this would only happen if we left it for a week).

Any advice and support would be useful. Please send good vibes to her.....she really needs them right now.........

Link to CatChat