Author Topic: Can anyone hep us please!  (Read 3925 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: Can anyone hep us please!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2007, 20:38:22 PM »
 yep they've got you well and truly "trained"! LOL. 
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline spottycat

• Kitten
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2007, 19:55:14 PM »
Thanks very much for all the interest in our 'problem'. It seems everyone has a story to tell about similar situations. :scared:
This morning, to cap it all, TT and Jasper got us up as usual and once we were up at 6.10 and cleaning windows at 7.15, they went back to bed at 7.30 :wow:
Love 'em hate 'em, can't be without 'em. :Crazy:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2007, 08:53:48 AM »
I had to put a cat-flap in my bedroom door

I don't even know if our bedroom door closes as it has been open for more years than I care to remember.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline pippivixen

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Billie. 10/05/90 - 05/12/06
    • The Tearoom, a forum for all Mystery Shoppers.
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2007, 07:20:07 AM »
Cloud does very much the same to me  :evillaugh:, she is a lovely kitten, but not very sociable, she doesn't like being picked up, but likes the odd stroke or two as she walks past you, occasionally, she likes her tummy tickled, but that is as far as you can get with her..............untill 1.00am...........3.00am..........& 5.00am, she is like an alarm clock and it is the same time every night she jumps on my face, snugglles under the duvet with me, miaows away at me to wake up, crawls right down and licks my legs  :P it is usually here where she falls asleep, then falls off the bed when I accidentally kick her, then she goes, until the next time slot !!

I keep telling her, there is only me in a king size bed, why can't she just snuggle up on the spare pillow and leave me be. If I close the door, Shadow cries as she can't get in and sit on the top shelf of my wardrobe (don't ask how she gets there!)

I have tried leaving dry food upstairs, changing her feeding time, giving her kitten milk, all to no avail, she just wants me awake.

Tonight will baffle her !!!, I wonder if her times will change.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2007, 06:24:43 AM »
I had to put a cat-flap in my bedroom door as my monsters were driving me BONKERS! They played a game called 'wrong side of the door': whichever side they were on, they wanted to be on the other. I was letting them in and out every few minutes; I could have STRANGLED them. Instead, I had a flap put in the door, so that I can get some sleep.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 20:36:03 PM »
I'm lucky with my two and have got them nicely trained to stay in the kitchen over night.  They have plenty of toys to keep themselves occupied with, units and tables to climb over and windows to look out of and don't make a fuss at all, no crying or anything.  However on saying that, the other cats we have had literally cried the house down if we tried shutting them in the kitchen overnight so we had to relent with them and let them have the run of the house overnight.

I do feel sorry for them sometimes but they can't come in my room - one of the few things that triggers an attack in me is animal fur.  Also had a back operation and once I get into bed rolling over isn't an option and it takes ages to get out again so the last thing I need is one of the cats making a fuss!

Fortunately they are both very placid and happy with the situation - but they are equally happy to get out in the morning!   :rofl:

Sorry, that's no help with yours.

Karen
x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 16:22:45 PM »
A cat flap wont work as evertime he is out he also comes in meowing

Do keep your Tonk in at night, it would be terrible if he was stolen.

Could you just leave your door open so he can come in if he want to? Thats what i do or the door wouldnt be standing!!

Offline Susieh

• Adult Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 21:19:37 PM »
I have resigned myself to a 4-5am wake up call every morning.  One of my 3 cats, who is not the most vocal normally, just has to go outside for a wee at that time every morning - despite the presence of clean litter trays.  He has done this for about a year since I moved house and if I ignore him he gets louder (wakes up my housemates who are not best pleased) so I take the path of least resistance and have perfected the art of stumbling down 2 flights of stairs (without injury so far) opening the catflap, stumbling back upstairs and getting back into bed without properly opening my eyes.  It sometimes takes me a while to get back to sleep and I do suffer when I lack sleep - but I'd rather that that have my cats outside at night with the gangs that hang around my street.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 19:51:40 PM »
Sorry meant forward lol..........just testing  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 19:38:47 PM »
Clocks go forward Gill!!!! NOT back.

The only way I remember is Spring forward, fall  (as In Autumn) back.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 18:59:41 PM »
I think its probably getting earlier cos its light earlier  ;D

You will get another hours peace maybe cos clocks go back at weekend so darker an hour longer an lighter an hour more in th evening tessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Clocks go forward Gill!!!! NOT back.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 17:57:29 PM »
I think its probably getting earlier cos its light earlier  ;D

You will get another hours peace maybe cos clocks go back at weekend so darker an hour longer an lighter an hour more in th evening tessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 13:05:32 PM »
Hi Jacky,
 :welcome:
I have a Tonkenses - Freddy J (see pic next to my name)

I think you just have to ignor Jasper.
however, I would make sure he has some dry food down incase he is hungry and that he litter tray is cleaned before going to bed.

My Freedy J has learnt to wait till i get up now but he did try his luck in the early days lol

Michelle xx

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 12:22:31 PM »
Aww poor babies just want their mummy ;)

My freddy is a very vocal and demanding boy but now has learned that I'm not getting up until I say so, he sleeps in the bedroom though and for weeks would try and wake me by padding my face or licking my eyes!!! He needed to learn though and being consistent is the only way, he will occasionally want me awake a bit earlier but actually he's now mainly very good and knows that only when I put my glasses on am I getting up!  I think humans do being to toss and turn a bit just before the dawn so it takes a while for cats to work out that the odd roll over or change of position does NOT mean getting up time quite yet.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 12:13:14 PM »
Hi Jacky  :welcome: to purrs.

Tonkinese are adorable and very simular to Burmese which i have had the great plesure of being a slave to two Burmese lads! I'm affraid oriental cats are very talkative and clingy to human owners. It's part of their make up. My Bow and Arnie used to wake me up at 5am every am mowing in my ear or if that didn't work a paw on my nose. Bow was the 1st to do it and if that didn't work Arnie would have a go.
They were both allowed in the bedroom as all my babes are and they both used to sleep on the bed (now on my side only, to give hubby all the room!!  :innocent:) as they loved the company.  In the end we got into a habbit of me half asleep getting up, feeding them and opening the cat flap. They then were happy and let me go back to bed till later when the alarm went off to go to work.
Bow used to sleep in the curve of my arm with  his head on my shoulder and the bed cover just up to his head every night!!  :Luv: :Luv: It was easy for me back then living in my own flat so no hubby to "moan"!!!!

As Ruth ans Sam have said the best way is to try and ignore them (wax ear plus come in handy here  :rofl:) but orientals as i'm sure other babes do like to get their own way and my ignoring tatics didn't work!!

My lads were asking for food and to go out, but if yours are mainly in and are crying for company have ya tried letting them in the bedroom? Ya could try having thier own beds in their and training them to use them instead of your bed but they do love being close to you. My Bow esp hated shut door would howl if one was shut. He was 1st owned by a couple who had a nursing home and the woman keep him on his own at 12 weeks old in a cupboard all day when the husband was out. After a week, the husband returned Bow to the breeder as he was so upset with his wife's care of him. Thats when i became his slave!! I think the closed door thing he always had caome from that young experience.

Let us know how ya get on and we would love to see pics of Tia and Jasper and hear more about them.  :Luv:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:16:28 PM by Tan »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 12:08:38 PM »
silly question i cant see anything in your posts but do your cats have litter trays ??? he might not like going outside at that time ?

also if they get to sleep in the room with you does he still do it ?

i had a couple of probs with my own cat and nighttime activity was one of them so he gets shut in the kitchen with all that he needs, after a couple of week of not being too happy he is totally content now and provided the light isnt switched on he even accepts he must stay their after hubby gets up at 5.45 am until i let him out when ever the kids wake up normally around 7am (otherwise he will MEIOW and wake them up)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 12:07:21 PM »
He is probably used to the fact that if he persists he knows you come out (even if it is just to tell him to go back to bed) so he knows he can keep it up and get a reward (attention)

You'll have to be strong and ignore him or he will just get more persistant - I read this when I first got Cheese as a kitten because she did the same thing. Even if you dont go out 99 times and go out the 100th time he has learnt that there is a chance you will come.

Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 12:00:53 PM »
I have no problems with my cats doing that, they are all lazy and sleep longer than me, I even have to wake them for their breakfast.

Sam you want to get up at 7.30  :tired:

Not so much want to get up ... I really mean HAVE to get up to go to work  >:(

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:57:14 AM »
Problem for me is that Lexy makes such a racket the neighbours hear her on the stairs...thats the problem with old houses...noise travels! So I have to do something to keep her quiet otherwise I'll have a revolt!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:56:13 AM »
I agree with Kittybabe .... if you can ignore him ... do.  I have tried ignoring my boy when he wants me to wake up in the morning at 4:30 I can usually manage to pretend to be asleep right up to the point where he sticks his tongue in my ear! LOL.  This always makes me giggle and he then knows I'm awake  :evillaugh:

I then have to take him downstairs and shut him in the kitchen until 7:30 when I really do want to get up.

I do the same, Sam.  Mine are allowed free reign until Mosi wakes me up (can be any time between 4am and 6am).  At that point they both get shut in the living room/kitchen until I want to get up.

ccmacey

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:48:37 AM »
I have no problems with my cats doing that, they are all lazy and sleep longer than me, I even have to wake them for their breakfast.

Sam you want to get up at 7.30  :tired:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
I agree with Kittybabe .... if you can ignore him ... do.  I have tried ignoring my boy when he wants me to wake up in the morning at 4:30 I can usually manage to pretend to be asleep right up to the point where he sticks his tongue in my ear! LOL.  This always makes me giggle and he then knows I'm awake  :evillaugh:

I then have to take him downstairs and shut him in the kitchen until 7:30 when I really do want to get up.

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 11:31:41 AM »
I am not familiar with Tonkinese but in general when cats want you up, you are required to be at attention!

I fail miserably, but apparently a good trick is to just ignore them. If you do it often enough, they will get in the habit doing something else. If you give them attention they know they get it so they do it every day.

Suffice it to say I am struggling today as was woken up at 4am by a very naughty cat running round the house like a mad...well..cat! 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:56:03 AM by Kittybabe (Ruth) »

Offline spottycat

• Kitten
Can anyone hep us please!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 11:22:17 AM »
Hello everyone

My husband and I adopted 2 x 8 month old Tonkinese cats, brother and sister, a year ago.  Their names are Tia and Jasper and we love them dearly.  Everything about them is absolutely perfect except one thing.  Jasper always meows at our bedroom door early in the morning to get us up.  He doesn't really want out, just the company.  They are very much house cats, only going our for short spells.  He used to get us up about 6am, now it is 4.45am.  As I am sure you are all aware the meows of these cats are hard to ignore, we do tell him to go and lie down, which only works for about 5 minutes and he's back!  A cat flap wont work as evertime he is out he also comes in meowing, just to let us know he is in, so this would only be worse.

Does any of you cat lovers have any suggestions for us.

Thanks a lot
Jacky
 :thanks:

Link to CatChat