Author Topic: DOG & CAT FOOD RECALL IN USA - some brands sold by zooplus  (Read 9415 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: DOG & CAT FOOD RECALL IN USA - some brands sold by zooplus
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 11:27:15 AM »
Have received this email from K9 Capers this morning:

PET FOOD RECALL

Dear Valued Customer,

As a pet owner and Internet user, you may well have been aware of recent media attention which is now also gathering speed across the Internet about the recent Pet Food Recall in the U.S.A.

Our offices have received many calls from worried pet owners regarding the safety of their pets food on the back of this information and so I would like to take this opportunity to advise you of the current situation.

THIS RECALL IS NOT AFFECTING ANY UK BRANDS OF FOOD SOLD BY K9 CAPERS

One American Manufacturer has recalled some foods as they believe there may be a problem.  This manufacturer currently makes products under many brands but THIS IS IN THE USA and not here in the UK.

Please feel free to visit the recall website at Menu Foods (The Manufacturer) at
https://www.catological.com/cat-food-recalls-safety/

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html and http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html for confirmation.

I have, this week, been given press releases from major pet food companies confirming that this problem is not affecting UK Foods being sold by K9 Capers as the only 2 foods on the list that are being sold in the UK were not affected by this problem and so I am pleased to be able to confirm that there is no need to worry when you purchase your products from any of our stores or from our Online Shop.

Further confirmation can be obtained by telephoning our customer service department on 0871 271 8992

Regards

Tim White
Group Managing Director
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 21:08:51 PM by Tan »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 16:17:31 PM »
Ironically the USA growns vast amounts of wheat & corn - they even give it in food aid to third-world countries. I suppose yet again they were buying cheap.
Very ironic - I can't imagine the USA is short of wheat.  As to cost - looks like it will end up costing them more than they could have imagined in lawsuits.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 16:13:09 PM »
So sad  :'(

Ironically the USA growns vast amounts of wheat & corn - they even give it in food aid to third-world countries. I suppose yet again they were buying cheap.

I was looking at a pack of Iams in sainsbury's today but it doesn't say where it's made and there are addresses all over the world on the packages. I bought Sainsbury's own brand foil trays as it clearly says "made in republic of Ireland" on them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 16:13:49 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 16:11:42 PM »
I got an email from Peta today, the following caught my eye :

It's our understanding that Menu Foods learned of animal deaths as early as February 20 but didn't issue a recall for almost a month.

PETA is urging government authorities in Canada and the U.S. to investigate Menu Foods and file criminal charges if the company is found to have violated laws by waiting nearly a month before recalling contaminated food and intentionally feeding it to healthy dogs and cats in laboratories, killing several of them.

Looks like they were hoping the problem would go away but after a month it didnt!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 15:57:26 PM »
Looks like rat poison may be the culprit  >:(

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2975912&page=1&US=true

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 23:11:18 PM »
sorry about all the crossposting but an update:

felinecrf.org have added something to their site about this now

http://www.felinecrf.org/food_recall.htm

This, in particular, caught my attention

If a food is not mentioned in the links above, it should in theory be safe to feed. However, I spoke  to Menu Foods on Monday 19 March 2007 and they told me they were still checking; they said it is possible that more foods may be added to the recall list, and in fact additional foods were added later that day. They hope that all the affected foods are now on their list but this cannot be guaranteed.

I have heard from people who were feeding foods with different batch numbers to those in the recall notice whose cats have died of kidney failure.

Just to clarify - the recall relates to what is referred to as "cuts and gravy" food.  Other types of food and dry food is not affected.  The exact cause is not known but is believed to be something to do with the wheat gluten that was used in the affected foods.  Given the above on felineorg anyone who feeds that kind of food would be advised to err on the side of caution and not feed those foods even if the batch numbers and best before dates don't match those listed.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 18:29:40 PM »
Its a real minefield knowing what to feed my babies that is safe for them but also not tested on other animals - luckily they all love Arden Grange which is made in the UK and in not tested on animals.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 11:33:10 AM »
AT least one person has already filed a lawsuit against them - not sure if it will work though, as it was her cats first vet visit, and he was 9, so with no prior history, they may be able to wriggle out of it.
Please spay your cat

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 08:56:44 AM »
Why are you guys so anti-Iams? Please fill me in. I don't normally feed my kitty Iams but have in the past (he didn't like the wet food at all!!) so would like to know what's the deal.

There's a lot of controversy re Iams testing on animals.

http://www.iamscruelty.com/

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 08:04:39 AM »
ie even stooped to buy Iams just to make him eat - I hope that isn't what made him ill.

I wouldn't have thought so, we use Iams and have done for years, I know the arguments about Iams but some of the cat have been eating it for years and love it.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Maximina (Mike's Mom)

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 03:20:25 AM »
Why are you guys so anti-Iams? Please fill me in. I don't normally feed my kitty Iams but have in the past (he didn't like the wet food at all!!) so would like to know what's the deal.

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2007, 17:41:18 PM »
Hills throughout Europe is made in the USA and shipped here. I see they recalled some products, but on the weblink there aren't any Hills prescription products and only one Hills so assume that they are ok? 
Pet food is a billion $ industry. I can see a mega lawsuit coming on.  I cannot believe how these cos behave - they don't do it deliberately but their attitude is so different than if it were a $billion human food industry. Nothing like a few mill awarded to the grieving pet owners to help change that.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 19:15:40 PM »
Thanks, Susanne. I've just rung a friend with 4 cats and a dog and informed her of this problem.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 19:02:55 PM »
Whiskas is not on the list of brands.  Most of the brands are only available in USA (I think) but there are a few that are available over here (eg Iams and nutro available online) which are worth checking.

http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 18:54:04 PM »
Does anyone know if Whiskas is affected? I've looked at the cans and can't find where manufactured, though the manufacturer is Waltham.  I'm very concerned because I feed my oldies exclusively on this and whiskas dry food.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 18:37:33 PM »
I am thinking back to about 6 months ago when clapton started getting picky with food. I tried every one on the shelf a "pick n mix" - ie even stooped to buy Iams just to make him eat - I hope that isn't what made him ill.

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 18:02:17 PM »
lol yes!  I never buy Iams but they were giving away freebies at the supreme so I'm afraid I made great use of their offer and picked up a few pouches!

I've contacted zooplus about the nutro pouches as I have lots of them in (and some cans).  The code numbers match those recalled but the BB dates on them are all either before or after the specified BB dates on recalled pouches.  However, one list I looked at didn't list BB dates so I'm not assuming they are safe at least until I hear back from zooplus.  Nutro isn't the best food in the world, imo (sort of mid range) but it's chunks in gravy and not pate style like a lot of premium foods which is why I feed it now and then - Jaffa likes his chunks!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 17:37:22 PM »
Can you burn it and dance around chanting die Mr P&G die   :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 16:09:13 PM »
I checked the numbers on some of the pouches of nutro I have in and they match the numbers on the published list of recalled products but the date is different.  There's not been any recorded incidences of problems with nutro pouches but they are being recalled as a precaution I believe.

If anyone feeds iams pouches it would be worth checking them.  I have one in the cupboard (I think I got it from supreme cat show) and I can't find anywhere on the back where it says where it was made but it looks like it is imported from USA so I think I'll throw that out to be on the safe side.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 15:44:08 PM »
I buy Nutro but not since last year, they were not too keen and it lasted ages!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: DOG & CAT FOOD RECALL IN USA
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 08:48:09 AM »
Well it does say made in USA on the pouches so I think I might throw them all out to be on the safe side.  I'll check the numbers but I'm not sure I'd be happy feeding them even if they aren't on the list, tbh, just in case the list of products expands at a later date.  Shame as I have 2 boxes of nutro pouches and some cans but I don't think I want to risk it.

I've edited the title of this thread to mention that some of the affected brands are on sale in europe, by zooplus and maybe others.  I'm not aware of anyone else on here who buys nutro wet food like I do, but I don't want people to think this topic is only relevent to people in the USA.  Anyone who buys food online (esp stuff not available in our shops) should check the list of brands.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:51:41 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 04:24:21 AM »
Yes, do check, better safe than sorry. It appears to be fairly serious. I have several friends with sick kitties right now. They didn't make the connection between their ill pets and the food until after the story broke here ... thankfully the cats are on the mend now but it's so concerning!!!

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 09:58:58 AM »
I wonder whether the nutro I use is originally from the USA or is a specially made european version (I buy it from zooplus).  Best get checking some of them numbers.  Ta for the info.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 07:30:42 AM »
I imagine it's only food made in America.I think
most of ours is made in the EU - it should say on the pack (The Asda senior I bought for Clapton last week actually says "made in Lichtenstein for Adsa!  ;D )

I saw Iams wet on a market stall in Faversham on Staurday 5 pouches for £1.00 - but I won't buy P&G stuff anyway

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 00:43:03 AM »
Thanks for posting this.

I dont see our foods on the list but wonder if different companies make the food over here,

If anyone hears anything for UK please post with link to info.

Thanks

• Adult Cat
  • Mike's Mom
DOG & CAT FOOD RECALL IN USA - some brands sold by zooplus
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 22:34:15 PM »
Here is the link to the website with the list of recalled products specifically for cats:
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_cat.html
Here is the list for dogs:
http://www.menufoods.com/recall/product_dog.html

Here is the FDA (Food & Drug Administration) site in the USA mentioning the recall:
http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2007/NEW01590.html

PET FOOD PANIC

Pet owners were worried Sunday that their pet food may be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold at major retailers were recalled. Menu Foods for dogs and cats recalled food sold under four dozen brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. At least 10 pets have died from kidney failure. Two more companies, Nestle Purina PetCare Co. and Hill's Pet Nutrition Inc., announced they were voluntarily recalling some products made by Menu Foods

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=2961402&page=1

ABC News
Pet Food Recall Grows Along with Owner Worry
More Brand Names Added to Already Long List

By PATRICIA MARTELL, MAGGIE HOPF and LINDSAY HAMILTON

March 18, 2007 — - Additional brand names have been added to the list of possibly tainted pet food brands that are the subject of a recall.

On Friday, Menu Foods, whose products are sold throughout North America, issued a recall for 60 million cans and pouches of certain "cuts and gravy"-style dog and cat food products. Seven more brands have been added to the original list.

Because Menu Foods co-manufactures so many products, veterinarians are urging pet owners to keep tabs on the latest developments. "It's very possible other companies will have to add to this recall," said Dr. Louise Murray, director of medicine for the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. "People need to keep updating themselves."

(For a list of recalled pet food brands visit http://www.menufoods.com/recall/)

Pet Owners React

At least 10 pet deaths have been linked to the recall, and the affected food may have contributed to kidney failure in many other cats and dogs.

"It makes me feel terrible," said Jackie as she walked her poodle Muffin in Manhattan. "It's just like with a child." John, owner of Wrigley the beagle, said he logged on to check the food list as soon as he heard about the recall. "There are like 40 brands on there," John said, "but she's good."

Dr. Ed Loebach, a medical advisor and veterinarian with Banfield Animal Hospitals, said kidney failure can come on quickly, or take a long period of time. He said pet owners should look out for symptoms such as "an increased water intake, increased volumes of urination, unwillingness to eat, vomiting and lethargy. If they see any of those signs, they should take their pet to the veterinarian as soon as they can."

Some pet owners' efforts to learn about the recall proved futile. Menu Foods set up two hotline numbers for customers to call, but repeated calls from ABC News only resulted in a busy signal. A company spokeswoman said they added more lines, but that traffic remained high.

Retailers' Empty Shelves

Since Friday, pet food retailers have been stripping their shelves of the recalled food. PETCO spokesman Kevin Whalen said PETCO stores removed foods that weren't on the list, to be "extra careful." "If it was even possible that certain pet food would be involved, we wanted to be safe," he said Sunday. "Hopefully, with new information on the recall, we can start putting the pet food back on the shelves tomorrow."

Waiting for Answers

A Menu Foods spokeswoman said the company is "diligently testing" its products, but as of yet cannot point to the source of the problem. Veterinarians note that kidney failure is a common ailment of pets, especially cats. It's among the top killers of older cats, so the full scope of the pet food problem might be difficult to pinpoint. "Most older cats are living with some degree of compromised kidney function," Dr. Murray of the ASPCA said. "I think there's going to be a lot of confusion and a little bit of panic because there might be kidney failure that their owners are unaware of."

For now, pet owners need to check the list, check their food, and keep an eye on their pets.

Copyright © 2007 ABC News Internet Ventures
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:49:54 AM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Link to CatChat