Author Topic: Hair Loss - HELP!  (Read 5039 times)

Offline kris

• Adult Cat
Re: Hair Loss - HELP!
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 14:14:51 PM »
My freddy is moulting terribly at the moment, he is a pale ginger beige and everytime he has a good old chin or ear scratch he leaves a great lump of hair behind on the floor/sofa/kitchen worktops/whatever but at least the lumps are easier to pick up than the individual floating hairs ;) To be honest i don't notice the hairs on me so much and I wear black most of the time, maybe I have selective vision  :scared:

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
  • My first rescues Chas and Dave!!!
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2007, 15:25:39 PM »
I sat the cats down a few nights ago and had a chat. We have come to a compromise - they can use the kitchen and lounge during the day but not the bedrooms, and they have to leave my lovely new sofa alone but they can have the chair to call their own. If you look at the post on Poppy in Our Cats you will see this is working quite well so far and the fur is getting less!
Only The Educated Are Free

www.catactiontrust1977.co.uk

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2007, 10:56:35 AM »
AAGGHHH cody is now shedding LOL, he was on my legs last night and then when i got up i wandered what an earth all the little white fibres were LOL..its the little white hairs from his belly that is falling out FAST.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2007, 08:06:34 AM »
I knew I'd said it right! If you're gonna be devilish Ela get it right!

I had such a bad day yesterday, also in between posting on here I was finalising the CP end of year figures which should have been in, I have never been late before but since we lost Badger I have not been right and just cannot be bothered, I usually get very cross when people say I will do it tomorrow. I cannot believe myself. Today is a new day  hopefully all will be well.

To get fur off furniture I have a rubber brush with yellow handle, you see larger ones on TV sometimes, it works very well and it  will get every bit of fur off  chairs, cat bed etc.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2007, 21:25:02 PM »
I knew I'd said it right! If you're gonna be devilish Ela get it right!  :evillaugh:

i've just been given the tip of a rubber glove to remove cat hair so will give that a go!

I'll certainly try grooming Archie when poppy is around - we've had her 3 months and she has adapted lots since being here - she now goes out and comes straight back in - no fuss, which is nothing short of a miracle as she used to run away for a few days and we'd have to coax her in - she now just copies Archie - sits on the window waiting to be let in!

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2007, 19:07:19 PM »
They don't teach English like they did in our day!  :oh noo:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2007, 18:59:14 PM »
it's "I don't have none" which means 'I have some'

I tried to explain to a shop assistant once who said 'we don't have none', so I asked for one again, she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about and to this day still says we don't have none.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 18:42:20 PM »
Ela "I have none" is correct, it's "I don't have none" which means 'I have some'! :rofl:

Kelly, as Poppy is allowing some physical contact (from your husband) this is promising. If you can gradually increase this without frightening her (stop when she shows discomfort or feels threatened), eventually she could become a soppy lap cat. How long have you had her? It can take ages to domesticate a feral. Polly wouldn't sit on my lap until I had her for six months.

If Archie is a cat who enjoys being fussed (or even groomed) do this while Poppy is around. She'll see this, hear him purr, and get the idea that being handled is nice for cats as Archie is enjoying it. Polly used to sit behind the sofa and watch me fuss Samantha (a semi feral who adapted very quickly), hear Sam's loud purr and be very curious about all this fussing business. It helped.

Until then a good way to clean cat hair off furniture (and cheap!) is to moisten a washing-up type sponge-with-scourer-side and wipe away the fur with this. It's very effective.

Hope all goes well at the vets.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 17:10:38 PM »
I got one of those brushes in the car too cos It gets covered in fur  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 12:00:05 PM »
and I have none

Um, if you have none , then you must have some and you a teacher as well. Sorry I do know what you mean but feel a little devilish today.

ccmacey

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 11:17:28 AM »
Can I just say Kelly is a foster so I think she will have more experience with feral cats than most.

Im so glad you got her back Kelly, how was Archie with the reunite?

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
Hippy - Poppy was a foster that we adopted. She is much more domesticated than she was and on the whole, because she was a foster, was kept in most of the time. Now we've adopted her she goes out occasionally but only as much as our domestic cat Archie. She cannot be picked up at all and will only allow fuss from my OH for about 30seconds. Grooming really is an impossibility. I'll look into the conditioning tabs - she certainly doesn't have fleas as she is frontlined regularly and I get bitten with fleas and I have none. She is going to the vet this week so \i'll ask them if there is anything else I could do.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
Sorry to hear you are having probs with Pops Kelly - I use the rollers from Wilkinsons, one of the best ones I have found  - I also have a gel one, which was really good, but you had to keep washing it, and the brush ones that Gill talks about - they are best on carpets, sofas etc, and I found them better than the hoover on the sofa. I literally get dressed minutes before leaving the house, and still have to defluff occasionally - I sometimes find that I have fur on me after being in the car, so I have a spare de-fluffer at work to pick them off when I get there. Mine are moulting really bad at the moment - Tiger is mainly tabby, and Molly is pure black, so nothing to do with white, Tiger is the worse and it is her tabby fur that is being lost most, but like Poppy, she hates being brushed. The best I can do for her is give her a couple of wipes with a baby wipe, as I find they get her fur off better than the brush.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 03:20:19 AM »
Kelly, what kind of temperament does your semi-feral have? Is it (can't see original post and remember the gender) nervous or aggressive. I believe that most ferals can be domesticated, and I have done this several times. It sounds to me as though your cat would benefit from being trained to accept grooming. Please give more info concerning its personality so I can help you more.
Also, it may be a good idea to give your cat conditioning pills just incase it's over-shedding due to deficiency. Try Kitzyme, which most cats will eat as though they were treats. Have you checked for flea allergy, or considered that there may be some hormonal imbalance causing the loss of too much fur?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 03:21:11 AM by Hippykitty »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 20:25:31 PM »
we have a sanyo hoover with hospital standard filter its a bagless one and all the filter n that can be washed then dryed and put bk in its very hygenic it picks up gr8
and was a lot cheaper than a dyson .
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 19:49:10 PM »
Ela - my OH is very laid back and takes everything in his stride too thats why I was a little taken aback with him getting upset -

I  hope it is not the GOM (Grumpy old man) coming out early.

Offline Smudgey

• Distinguished Cat
  • This is my bridge furbabe Smudge
  • Slave to: Abby Zak and Smudge
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 19:34:18 PM »
peelable sticky rollers are what you need for your clothes when it gets xlogged you just peel a layer and start again wilkinsons do a cheap and cheerful version and you can get refills

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 19:07:12 PM »
Sticky rollers are no good cos there is too much fur I find

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 18:58:59 PM »
Yeah, have 2 of them Gill - gonna get one of those sticky roller things too so I dont have to keep using tape!

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 18:50:36 PM »
You also need one of those velvetine type brushes for your clothes, you can twist the head cos depending how the nap is, which way you brush.

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 18:30:45 PM »
Cheers for the advice.

Ela - my OH is very laid back and takes everything in his stride too thats why I was a little taken aback with him getting upset - I think he was shouting and I was in the room rather than directly at me!

I think when I can afford it I will invest in a dyson - used to have one but it died a while back - I hoover constantly but it really is horrendous. I'm a teacher and I'm going to school in clothes covered in hair despite many attempts to get it all off before I leave - even leaving getting clothes on until the very last minute - it just gives the impression I don't care about cleanliness. I just think the hair loss seems such a lot for one cat.

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 17:45:04 PM »
I had a poem sent to me a while bk about pets ( its somewhere on my msn space but cant find it at mo)  anyway a part of it said
dont moan when u visit and sit down on my settee and get covered in hairs
after all it is called a sofur !  lol
and they maybe be just a cat or dog too u but to me they are my adopted son/daughter who just happens to wear a fur coat ! lol

it was such a lovely poem when i find it ill post it .

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 17:41:10 PM »
I have a white tortie too and also 3 other cats with long hair including white. Dysons are great, I have the basic one but when they are all moulting like now there is fur fur everywhere, actually there is all the time  :rofl:

I have longhaired cats who moult, so if someone dont like it, tough  ;D

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 16:31:27 PM »
I have a morphey richards- for pets, it cost around £90 its 2000 wats and its excellent for pet hair and everything else, its got all the attachments and a turbo tool, total bargin.  ;D

I think Dyson's are good but they over charge because of the name.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 16:32:55 PM by ccmacey »

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 15:02:59 PM »
I too think the dysons are excellent, we purchased a new one a while ago via the  net and it was about £100 cheaper than on most shops.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 14:55:01 PM »
What sort of hoover have you got?  If it's really getting to you it might be worth investing in an 'Animal' Dyson.

I bought the next model up (which has all the animal features - pet hair tool turbo brush plus bits for the car ) when it was in the sale reduced from £330 to £180.  I live in a new build property (June 06) so brand new carpets throughout and I had one, not very hairy ,cat but the stuff this thing picks up is out of this world  :Crazy:

I know it's a lot of money for a hoover but I think they are great, they come with a 5 year parts and labour warranty too...

ccmacey

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 12:23:40 PM »
I think the answer to this is hoover everything, I do.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 12:13:01 PM »
but im sure frasers shedding is abnormal i just havent found a solution for it.

Peewee a tabby/white cat is the same abnormal, and not just in the hair loss way either. He shreds more hair than all the other cats put together and I do groom him his every day.

and shouting at me.

If my husband shouted at me I would tell him in no uncertain terms that shouting will get him nowhere and it's  my house too not just his.

Mind you he has always been a very jovial and laid back  person (he says as long as I am happy so is he)  but lately he has had a few aches and pains, he doesn't moan about that  but I can tell he is in pain by how he holds his body and it has made him a little grumpy very occasionally recently. I just say you are in grumpy old man syndrome and just laughs and then  he is OK.  ii do get a little cross with him though as he won't even take a painkiller as the likes to think he can beat any pain..
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 19:50:50 PM by Ela »

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 12:00:37 PM »
Kelly my fraser (blk and white) is the same if not worse..he never used to be so bad when he was younger altho always shed but its unbarable nowadays and part of the reason he doesnt get free run of the house, Ive tried various things but nothing makes a difference.

sorry cant help you much more but im sure frasers shedding is abnormal i just havent found a solution for it.

• Super Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 11:27:28 AM »
maybe as its white u r noticing it more

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 11:26:36 AM »
like I said - with Archie there was hardly any fur - is it cos she has white on her?

• Super Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 11:18:08 AM »
Well i hoover five times aday and sweep up and my house is still covered in hairs lol
i know what u mean about people who visit not wanting to sit down ,  my little sister whos 11 wont sit down unless i put a cover on the seat first then she is still covered in hairs and has to b brushed down lol 
my main problem is the dogs hair
although my cats are starting to malt a bit now ,
i also know what u mean about the washing machine getting clogged up
ive had to call out a repair man on serveral occasions to unblock my machine , if the hair loss is really bad then ask ur vet for something
but im afraid having hairs everywhere is one of the joys of being a pet owner lol

Offline Kelly

• Distinguished Cat
Hair Loss - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 11:11:13 AM »
Ok, my new addition - Poppy is a tortie/tabby with white belly and she moults. She moults more than my family's pet alsatian used to - everything is covered in hair. It never used to bother me as Archie barely loses any but everywhere is covered in white hair - sofa, curtains, bed covers, clean clothes, the washer is getting bunged up. We get it in our food and my OH is really losing patience and shouting at me. It really is getting me down - my home looks dirty and when people visit they prefer to stand up than sit down, despite me spending forever with flippin tape wrapped round my hands dabbing off the hair.

Is there any solution - I can't groom her as she's semi feral and I can barely get near her.

Please save my new sofa, sanity and relationship  :(

Link to CatChat