Author Topic: Will they ever like each other?  (Read 1298 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Will they ever like each other?
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 12:00:12 PM »
to an extent you do ignore the hissing and spitting. By intervening you are creating a third intervention into a two-way power battle. If you always intervene with the dominant cat, you will be sending encouraging messages to the less dominant cat so they will keep trying to win a battle that the other one is not happy to let them win. HOwever if it breaks down into actual physical agression then you can intervene by taking each cat to a separate room for about 15 minutes to let them calm down. If you leave one where they are, they will think they have won that round and it will simply encourage further bad behaviour ...

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 11:54:09 AM »
How do you manage this?
I am being to controlling,
do you ignore the growling/hissing?
What happens when you not in? do they go to opposite ends of your house

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 11:47:45 AM »
Bunty and Sylvester after years still hate each other and I don't think it will ever change, we have tried everything.   

Offline Topsy Turvey

• Hero Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:02:10 AM »
We had a similar problem and someone suggested giving the kitten a "time out" evertime she disturbed our sleeping older cat.  Dunno whether that worked or she just grew out of it but anyway she doesn't do it now. 

Offline tillywilly

• Adult Cat
  • home of Tilly & Archie
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 09:23:22 AM »
I got a kitten in March to be a friend for my ragdoll.  My Ragdoll in the house just growles at the kitten all the time.  He is very playfull and wants to play/pounce on my cat which she hates.  This has slightly improved because with this lovely weather they are both going out and enjoying themselves.  We have tried a behavorist, felliway and now on Bach's flower remedies - do seem to help.  i dream of a bit of tollerance between them, I find it difficult to let them get on with it, the growling from my cat goes right through me.

How does anyone manage sleeping arrangements, because when my cats having a sleep for eg on the sofa he creeps up to her and jumps on her.  For my cat to get some peace i split them up eg shut away in the lounge while she sleeps, but this I think does not help, my cat likes much more day sleeping than the kitten, How can I manage the sleeping arrangements better, or should I leave them to it????

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 23:35:00 PM »
I think you just should be happy that they tolerate each other on their own terms....if if it ever gets more friendly then it will be a bonus  ;D

I have 4, two pairs and the second pairs tolerate the other two most of the time but wouldnt want to get in sniffing distance cos a breakout of hissing and growling happens but not always.

Cats are unpredicatable and wish they would make up their furry minds  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 19:04:44 PM »
It varies from cat to cat - Kylie and Willow still hate each other after 5 years - others cats can get on straight away. I think you could be asking for more problems if you bring a 3rd cat into the equation  :scared:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 18:31:19 PM »
These things take time, my lot have been together 2 years and although lola accepted them its only the last few months shes really taken to hanging out and playing with them.
Simon got on straight away as hes one of the lads  :Luv:

If they can live in harmony together your doing well, unfortunately for many cats cuddling up together is a terrible thought!

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 10:49:14 AM »
I've got two that came as a pair from the rspca but have never liked each other, when we first got them there was real aggression from one.  We have a feliway on all the time and the angry one is calmer and the bullied one has bags of confidence now (because she is daddies girl!) and things have evened out, they will both now sleep in the same room, and there was a time they couldn't be in the same room, we've had them two years and its been a slow process - we even consulted Vicky Halls but her recommendation (to get rid of Daddies girl) was rejected by oh!

Offline JadesMum

• Adult Cat
Will they ever like each other?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 10:37:13 AM »
I have had Lucy since 7 weeks old - she was 3yrs old 8th April.
Got Tibby nearly 3 months ago - he is 3 1/2 yrs - from CPL Wigan - his woner died (an od Lady - he is so soft and very vocal.
Lucy still hisses at him if he goes with 3 - 4 feet of her.
She tollerates him in the same room, but that is it.
If she is on the floor and he comes n through cat door - she runs away and sleeps on her blanket on the dining chair - she wont allow him on there - it is hers lol.
He goes to her and cries - sometimes runs after her when he comes in and she runs away.
Will she ever like him?
I just want them to cuddle up together and keep each company.
Amanda xx

Photos:-   http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn33/jadesmum_photos/

Mum to:-
Jade (Daughter age 7)
Lucy (Tabby Cat age 3)
Tibby (Male cat Black & White age 3 1/2  -  Latest addition)

Link to CatChat