Author Topic: How do you know if cats are OK with other cats if they've never met any?!  (Read 2586 times)

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Re: How do you know if cats are OK with other cats if they've never met any?!
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 00:47:41 AM »
Me too Michelle, this is the way I have done it with all of my kittens, just opened the cat box and see what happens. Although I do think its been because of the fact that they are kittens they have been ok with them. I thought they would fight with an older cat but they have shocked my there too  :Luv:

I dont think they would take to a cat of the same age though as proved with Seb. Ted would go mental and Harry would not be too far behind him.

I think if the boys were to get another sibling it would maybe have to be a younger one.

This is strange cos I was thinking last night about the boys having a little sister  :shocked:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2008, 21:04:49 PM »
I had no idea how Jaffa would react to another cat as he'd only ever seen his brother, and they grew up together.  However, he accepted Mosi very quickly.  Got narked at Mosi's kitten enthusiasm, but never minded his being around in general.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2008, 19:53:43 PM »
That is a really good question Helen and yes how would you know if your cat has never been with another cat !

All i can say is, I have never had a problem bringing a new cat into our house and i now have 11 !  (and 4 bridge babies)
I do believe how you introduce them helps.
I have said it before (and have not been popular) that i dont believe in keeping them apart, I truely believe in "letting them get on with it"

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2008, 18:48:35 PM »
I am lucky with mine that they are ex-fosters, so dont really care what is in the cat room, they have never known any different. I do allow mine to mix, but it depends on the cats, and as mine spend most of their time in my room, they rarely see fosters, and they arent fully integrated unless they are going to be here long term. I do take on the bulk of the oldies that come through our rescue though, so a lot easier than with youngsters.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 18:22:44 PM »
Although in my personal opinion I would definately say the foster cat should be separate. It can be very stressful introducing cats to each other (for them especially but also you!) so not a good idea to put a cat who you are getting ready for homing through stress and then if they do mix well, and actually really like each other, it doesn't seem fair (and again it is stressful) to then separate them when the times comes to home the foster cat.

I know some rescues do mix cats and they obviously have good reasons for doing it, but because of the reasons above and some other factors, I thinks it's rather unfair to the cats.

I agree, stress brings out allsorts of unwanted ailments  :(

I think the reason most rescues struggle to find fosterers is that people worry about upsetting their household, its a v.valid reason but you dont know until you try  ;D

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 12:32:58 PM »
Although in my personal opinion I would definately say the foster cat should be separate. It can be very stressful introducing cats to each other (for them especially but also you!) so not a good idea to put a cat who you are getting ready for homing through stress and then if they do mix well, and actually really like each other, it doesn't seem fair (and again it is stressful) to then separate them when the times comes to home the foster cat.

I know some rescues do mix cats and they obviously have good reasons for doing it, but because of the reasons above and some other factors, I thinks it's rather unfair to the cats.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 20:02:24 PM »
we do have the facility to seperate them, it's just a case of I have things so nicely settled between the 2 dogs/2 cats that I don't want to rock the boat if uneccisary, the reason the local rescue was willing to add me to the foster list was my having two young cats that the foster could slowly intergrate with

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 19:28:57 PM »
IM - you need to be able to separate fosters, and some rescues dont allow you to mix full stop, so as long as you have a room that yours aren't too bothered about, there shouldnt be much worry about upsetting the balance.
Please spay your cat

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 15:17:17 PM »
I have to say I'm glad I took the gamble... Indy and Misha are now inseperable and are either grooming either other, rolling around biting tails/ears/bellies, charging around destroying the house or curled up together fast asleep, I even feed them at same time from a big bowl otherwise they will both eat out of Indy's bowl and move onto sharing Misha's

I have to say though, even though I am on the list to foster any young cats handing to local rescues after Christmas... I am now wondering whether I should actually do it and upset the balance

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2008, 17:42:07 PM »
Helen, if you want my true thoughts, I'd say from having seen something of the antics of your two on Purrs, you have a very special pairing here and they are genuinely well bounded to each other - as you say, you struck lucky.  :) I've had many cats in many combinations over the years and only once did I get two cats who were as happy together as Luke and Riley are. Most of the time cats usually prefer to ignore each other, even though their owners are convinced they like each other the truth is that it's more a respectful stand off.  :innocent:

So the stakes are very high, here, and a successful introduction of a third cat is going to be very much a gamble. I'd be inclined to not rock the boat at this time.  ;)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 17:10:21 PM »
I would also like to say that often cats are extremely happy living alone and often prefer it that way, and even if they are part of a long established pair like yours are Helen, there is no promise at all they will accept another cat. Even if they do, the chances are it will be a mere toleration of the newcomer and not actually a firm friendship. So a lot of thought and careful selection of a new companion needed when the time comes.  ;)

I guess that's my main worry, that they are happy as they are so why spoil things. I really did strike lucky with them, they're both so affectionate, gentle and super loving.  Despite Riley being the 'chaser' they love each other dearly aswell and I've never heard a peep out of them when they're play fighting, it's all rough and tumble but no teeth or claws so no squealing or growling.

Was just a thought anyway  :shy:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 16:52:02 PM »
No two cats are the same, Helen, and therefore you will always get combinations which are doomed from the start and some which are going to be inseparable and all degrees in-between. Just like people, really, when you think about it. I'm quite fussy about who I share my bathroom with!  ;) Careful introductions are always the key as I'm sure you know.  :)

When we rehome, some cats we know have come from situations where they have battled with other cats. These we rehome as only cats because we usually cannot judge want made them battle and whether it's fixable. Some cats we know are fine living with other cats, so these we flag as being good for a potential multicat household. When we do not know a cat's background - such as with a stray - an experienced fosterer may be fairly good at judging as to whether a cat may be happy to live with another. Normally if a cat is friendly and accepting of new people and new situations, its personality will be more open to accept another feline. But this is very, very much a rough guide only. Cats are full of surprises as you know!  :rofl:

I would also like to say that often cats are extremely happy living alone and often prefer it that way, and even if they are part of a long established pair like yours are Helen, there is no promise at all they will accept another cat. Even if they do, the chances are it will be a mere toleration of the newcomer and not actually a firm friendship. So a lot of thought and careful selection of a new companion needed when the time comes.  ;)

Offline bonnielass

• Super Cat
  • my missing babe Wizzy and beloved Snuggs & George
  • Slave to: Scamps/henry/cassie/mika/barney rubble /eddie//cookie monster/billybob/cheeks/jack/misty/Flirty bertie/alfie/polly pipsqueak and Kali
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 16:45:49 PM »
When i fetched Eddie on xmas day he had been living at the rescue but as all the pens were full he was sleeping in the shed with a nice warm bed but had access to wander up and down between the pens, he saw all the other cats but wasnt the slightest bit bothered by them :) when i brought him home on Xmas Day i put him in the spare room with the grill door up so he could see my lot and vice versa but no contact, , on boxing day i must have not shut the grill door properly as when i came back from the rescue i found Eddie sitting downstairs :sneaky: as if he had always been there and 2 of the other cats sat besides him, i was lucky  :wow: but he hasnt got a nasty bone in his body and now roams the house with the others, I know it doesnt always happen like this but my lot are so laid back and used to others coming and going that its worked out fine and he knows where the warmest seats are :sneaky:
When a kittie becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 16:44:14 PM »
aaww, Oscar is a bit like that- he is a bit of a scaredy-puss. We knew we needed to find the rght cat and Jasper was it. If we'd have brought home an older female, I don't think it would have worked as well (although with slow intros could have been ok) but I always find that young neutered males are generally quite adaptable. You may find that you need a cat who will be inbetween their dominance levels, so will be up for the roughness with Riley and cuddle time with Lu (and more gentle rough and tumbles of course).
It did take a little while for Oscar to be completely at ease with Jasper but we knew from day one it was going to be ok. As I said, I'm sure if the time comes a good rescue will be able to advise on adaptable kitties who would fit in well.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 16:36:35 PM »
Thanks, it was actually you two who got me thinking! Seeing how easily Jasper and Misha settled into their respective homes with their new brothers got me wondering. Also last night there was a D.O.G in the spare room and although the boys haven't spent much time in their since he's been gone they are certainly not freaked out by the smell of another animal.

My main concern would probably be Lu, he's very sweet and has a tendency to be overpowered by Riley.  Riley is quite dominant over him, if anyone is doing the chasing it'll be Riley and if there's a new toy Riley will muscle his way in. Lu does give as good as he gets but he can also be a bit skitty/oversensitive if he sees something that isn't usually there, like today for example a box by the kitchen bin, he goes all low to the ground and does the toe tapping thing til he's happy it's not a monster.  Riley wouldn't even notice it. 

Strangely with visitors they're the complete opposite, Riley will go and hide if they're a complete stranger whereas Lu will happily stay in the same room and might even go over for a rub.

Offline Indys Mamma

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 15:37:26 PM »
I can only go off my one and only experience... but I just took Indy to a show and he was curious about the other cats, not shy or scared.... so I took the gamble and Indy and Misha got on from the beginning

If they get on with neighbours at a cattery then they may well take to another family member in time

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 15:25:30 PM »
If they are happy with each other then my guess is, as long as you carefully choose the playmate then they will be fine. :) Usually we judge it on the info we have from previous owners, the general nature of the cat (how playful/boisterous they are, any stress issues etc) and how they react to any cats they see at the vets or in other pens. In my experience (other's exp may vary) if a cat is a definate no-no with other cats they tend to react quite obviously when they see other cats.
Often though, it will depend on the individual combination of cats... some like each other and others don't. Ours were very easy to mix yet they all get rather annoyed when another cat comes too close to the flap! As your boys are both young and playful.... you'd probably be best (in my exp) with a young, neutered male who will enjoy joining in with the rough and tumbles!
I am sure that any good rescue will be able to advise you on suitable matches for your boys should you ever want to add another addition. 

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
How do you know if cats are OK with other cats if they've never met any?!
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 14:25:36 PM »
I guess this is probably best answered by the rescues amongst us? I was wondering if there were visible traits that made you know if they were likely to be OK with other cats?  You often see 'must go alone' or 'fine with other cats' on the descriptions of the cats personalities now I know some of this info is from the old owners but how do you know for strays as I would imagine they're kept singly in a pen or similar.

Due to being indoor only then indoor+catproofed garden the boys have never met another cat, they were fine with the cats in the next pen at the cattery when I went on holiday but I asked a question on here at the time and it was thought that wouldn't be indicative of how they would accept a cat into their own household.

I'm not looking to rehome another cat now but one day I might and I would hate to upset the boys if they were 'cat haters' and equally it would be heartbreaking to choose a cat then have to give it back if  they hated other cats.  I was just wondering if it was something you could maybe tell by personality?

Link to CatChat