Author Topic: Drop traps - any good?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Drop traps - any good?
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 18:34:11 PM »
MDC have extra bits on their site since i last looked, like cool kits to make your current traps remote controlled   :briggin: :briggin:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 10:04:04 AM »
A really interesting video. But I think she was lucky in having a batch of cats who were either extremely hungry or a bit braver than most. I can think of many situations were a trap like that would have been unsuccessful. The cats I've dealt with would have swiped away the stick themselves... :shify: Celia Hammond have a blue print for a much better manually operated, home made trap that lays on the floor but with the door able to slide down using the string method as seen in the video.  ;)

Having said that, I still prefer the wire automatic traps we have, Mark. They are really gentle in their activation and don't distress the cats at all. Plus you have the added bonus of not having to find somewhere where A) you can watch the trap and be ready to activate it and B) being hidden away enough so that the cats can't see you watching them.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:53:27 AM »
Yes, Mark, I think that a wooden frame of that size would have a fair bit of weight in it, despite the apparent ease with which it was used, so would be concerned for tails also - perhaps the same idea with polypipe for the frame would be lighter and safer ...? Though you would need good reflexes and twinkle toes to get there to stop them making off with the trap ...

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Drop traps - any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 08:35:58 AM »
I came across this and wondered if anyone had tried anything like it? - I would be concerned about tails getting caught etc? - otherwise may be a good idea?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2028374064785211169&hl=en
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat