Author Topic: Fish and Chips  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Fish and Chips
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2007, 15:02:06 PM »
Before i was a veggie i had chips cooked in lard and it was the most disgusting dinner i ever had. I can still remember the layer of fat stuck to the roof of my mouth  :sick:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2007, 13:42:27 PM »
Very very rarely as it can be up to 25% nut oil before it has to say and unless they can absolutely guarantee it's got no nut oil in the vegetable oil at at all I can't eat it.

Nut allergy thats gotta be a downer, nearly everything nowadays is marked may contain nuts :(
Cats are like little bundles of razor blades wrapped in soft fur.

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2007, 13:23:52 PM »
You can't eat anything cooked in vegtable oil?

Very very rarely as it can be up to 25% nut oil before it has to say and unless they can absolutely guarantee it's got no nut oil in the vegetable oil at at all I can't eat it.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2007, 11:40:28 AM »
It was gross Gwen, I actually had to ask them to put it on the other side of the table, as it was making me feel quite ill just smelling it  :sick: :sick:

They were saying 'oh try it, its so tender and tasty'......um, no thanks, I can just about eat beef a little bit pink, but any blood on the plate just puts me right off and I can't eat it  :sick:  I can't even eat chicken or any other meat off the bone, makes it a bit too realistic about what I'm eating.  If I could be healthy enough on a veggie diet I would definitely try again, but I got so thin and anaemic last time, I don't want to risk it again  :(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 11:40:49 AM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2007, 11:08:23 AM »
We had fish and chips last night too  :tongue 2: done in vegetable oil, and taste pretty good to me.  The other one we go to does cook in animal fat, and the chips do taste better, but I prefer sunflower oil as its a bit healthier.

I was a veggie for a few years, but did start eating fish again, so called myself a demi-veg  :evillaugh:  Even though I do eat meat again now, I only tend to have chicken or beef, don't tend to eat lamb as its quite fatty, and can't stomach stuff like liver  :sick:  Went to a Lebanese restaurant last week and one of our friends ordered a raw lamb dish, and were quite put out that I wouldn't try any ......... bleeeeuuuch  :sick:

I would of been sick at the sight of it,I hate raw stuff,how ppl can eat rare beef etc is beyond me :sick:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 11:01:52 AM »
Our girls love when we have fish and chips. Lirael used to want the chips just as much as the fish though.

Smoke however is more picky and will only eat meat.

Penguin will eat it if he sees us eating it then he wants whatever we’ve got.

Then again Lirael has been known to steal pasta off our plates (no table manners).

Not a veggie but I don’t tend to each as much meat as everyone else, going out to dinner I always pick a veggie meal.

That’s gross about the wine gums having beef gelatine in them, I don’t think I’ll eat those ever again!

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2007, 10:44:15 AM »
M&S have gone and done it now - their fruit pastilles and wine gums have beef gelatine in them!!  :censored:
I used to be pure veggie until got told to eat more protein so it's bad news for the chooks sadly as I do eat them a couple of times a week, but still feel bad about it. Don't eat any meat and am allergic to fish.
So basically it's a diet of yoghurt, fruit and healthyfoods like bars of dark choccy (high in magnesium) :)  Is it true btw what I read, that olive oil when cooked turns into transfats and we should all use sunflower oil? Despite being mostly veggie, my cholesterol's a  :Crazy: so maybe that's not helping. OH was pure veggie with me for 2 years but is now very lapsed. I won't cook it for him though.

There is a very WEIRD virus on this forum - every time I type the word ch****late it prints as 'healthyfood' - who's done that then?!  :rofl:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 10:47:59 AM by swampmaxmum »

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2007, 09:33:58 AM »
We had fish and chips last night too  :tongue 2: done in vegetable oil, and taste pretty good to me.  The other one we go to does cook in animal fat, and the chips do taste better, but I prefer sunflower oil as its a bit healthier.

I was a veggie for a few years, but did start eating fish again, so called myself a demi-veg  :evillaugh:  Even though I do eat meat again now, I only tend to have chicken or beef, don't tend to eat lamb as its quite fatty, and can't stomach stuff like liver  :sick:   Went to a Lebanese restaurant last week and one of our friends ordered a raw lamb dish, and were quite put out that I wouldn't try any ......... bleeeeuuuch  :sick:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2007, 22:58:21 PM »
When I was a veggie for 6+ yrs, I didn't eat fish... (or sweets with gelatine in it)... Or anything that had been cooked in meat type things lol..

Now although I'm not a veggie I don't eat meat a lot at all, I still like vegetarian meals and wouldn't really miss it... However the cats would miss me not having it haha..
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 22:58:46 PM by Annie »

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2007, 22:53:04 PM »
I would miss chicken :(

I would miss Chicken, bacon & steak, also all the different things you can make with mince - sorry quorn doesn't do it for me  :evillaugh:
I don't eat any other meat anyway. Would never eat lamb, rabbit, game etc and pork is  :sick:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2007, 22:50:38 PM »
When I was veggy about 12 years ago, Monday night was fry-up night. I used to put the eggs, beans, mushrooms tomatoes on and about 3 minutes before it was cooked, my flatmate Frances used to run to the chippy dead opposite and get a large portion of chips.

That was the best meal of the week with some buttered mothers pride  :evillaugh:

She was a hopeless cook -  she had family over one night so I cooked a bean casserole for her to warm up for them. She burned it  :evillaugh: She thought you put an elecric ring on high and just left it  for a while to warm something up  :evillaugh:

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 22:45:00 PM »
I don't think anyone that eats fish can honestly call themselves a vegetarian. As far as I am aware, fish are living creatures and cannot in any way be classified as vegetables, Unlike some of the youth in this country  :evillaugh:

My sister is veggie and says she won't eat anything with eyelashes, that way eating fish is acceptable!  My brother on the other hand is an extreme veggie who doesn't even drink milk - me, I like my steak rare  :evillaugh:

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 22:44:18 PM »
I would miss chicken :(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 22:38:33 PM »
btw - should "vegetarians" be eating fish anyway?  :evillaugh:

No.  But they eat chips  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 22:36:33 PM »

Lots of veggies eat fish,

I don't think anyone that eats fish can honestly call themselves a vegetarian. As far as I am aware, fish are living creatures and cannot in any way be classified as vegetables, Unlike some of the youth in this country  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 22:36:54 PM by Mark »

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 22:29:53 PM »

My opinion on that is s*d the vegetarians as they can eat at most places and they don't eat meat out of their own choice. I can hardly eat anywhere at all and if my fish and chip shop start cooking in vegetable oil to please the vegies/ healthy mafia I will cry as it will mean I probably can't eat there anymore (as has happened to another local fish and chip shop) :'(

You can't eat anything cooked in vegtable oil?

Lots of veggies eat fish, its the raising of cattle just to slaughter they object to,
I'm not a veggie though but food cooked in dripping/lard is far to much for me :)

Offline Lyn-Su

• Senior Cat
  • Fearne
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 22:27:56 PM »
We always buy large fish when we have Fish and Chips and half goes to the Fearne. You should see here face if she sees the brown paper and realises we've got pie or sausage & no fish  :rofl:

Lottie, you should try and visit the magpie Cafe in Whitby they fry all their Fish in beef dripping mmmmmm

http://www.magpiecafe.co.uk/magpie_cafe.asp
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 22:32:09 PM by Lyn-Su »

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 22:24:20 PM »
Mine cooks in vegetable fat.. Still tastes good to me!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 21:57:03 PM »
Thats probab;y what I meant when I said Lard - I'm sure it is dripping.

I amended my 1st post as I meant to type "like stepping back 50 years" - There is a fug in there and the walls are nicotine coloured - the food is out of this world - I can't believe they charge £1 for a wally though!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 21:59:42 PM by Mark »

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 21:47:25 PM »
Still cooks in dripping  :o what about the vegetarians

My opinion on that is s*d the vegetarians as they can eat at most places and they don't eat meat out of their own choice. I can hardly eat anywhere at all and if my fish and chip shop start cooking in vegetable oil to please the vegies/ healthy mafia I will cry as it will mean I probably can't eat there anymore (as has happened to another local fish and chip shop) :'(

Offline hOrZa

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 21:27:21 PM »
Still cooks in dripping  :o what about the vegetarians

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 21:01:07 PM »
I'm having fish and chips tonight when my OH gets home in about an hour or so with it. It's usually really crispy as the place still cooks in dripping. Horribly bad for you but deliciously yummy  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 20:49:32 PM »
I sometimes fancy fish & chips but my usual is "batter & chips" while 2 of the cats go to sleep with full bellies  :evillaugh: - willow is a steak girl so no problem there.

btw - I haven't eaten yet and the only one worth going to round here closes at 8pm. Its called Jones's and its like stepping back in time 50 years in there. They cook in lard  :sick: but it works  ;D - they have a queue up the street at weekends - then again its probably the only affordable food in Whitstable  :evillaugh:

I am really hungry now and too late to cook  :( - will have to hav a ham & cheese toastie  :tired:

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 21:58:10 PM by Mark »

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
Fish and Chips
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 20:35:07 PM »
We decided on the Chippy tonight since we've not had it in months and months and too lazy to cook.

Anyway, the cruel, cold hearted meowmy I am, I decide on Haddock (no batter), and told our 5 cats that no they couldn't have any..

Why do I even try?!  :evillaugh:

5 on 1 Obviously I only ended up with half of it  :doh:

Fluffy, Susie and the girls were all over it.. But forget the fish, it's the chips that made Sam go crazy!! Haha!  He had basically no interest in the fish at all... He's so strange bless him... :Luv:

Link to CatChat