Author Topic: Calculating the cost (scary!)  (Read 2492 times)

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
Re: Calculating the cost (scary!)
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 19:21:37 PM »
I daren't work it out, but as I haven't bankrupted OH in the last 43 years I think I'm OK.  I think I might be able to squeeze a small furry girl in sometime later.  I just daren't look too often in Purrs shop - all those goodies that Ollie could have ... :Luv:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 18:02:59 PM »
hmmm, handfeeding three horses through a drought is fairly pricy too, especially when one is a lactating mare and another is the foal, growing up to be a big strong anglo-arab ...

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 17:53:30 PM »
A mate of mine has 2 cats, 4 fish, 2 tortoises and until recently when he had to take her to the vet as she had cancer, he also had an Irish Wolfhound.  I dread to think how much he spends on that little lot - especially when George, one of his cats has actually got a genuine Gucci collar!!!  :Crazy:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 16:25:17 PM »
Other half buys Whiskas wet food but they are seemingly not interested in this anymore
You could try adult pouches now, the kitten ones always seem to smell more nasty  :sick:
Its good to keep them interested in wet food  ;D

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 22:36:10 PM »
Have to bite the bullet and add them all up, including feeding, litter, flea/vacc/worm, insurance (dogs only), general vets visits, and training for 2 dogs and 3 cats is £177 per month.  :rofl:

To add an extra dog would take it to £225 per month.....(although cost would go down once we moved out of beginners classes).  :evillaugh:

It is frightening to look at (as I've said though, I don't begrudge them a penny as they are my life and I wouldn't swap them for the world), but I think it needs doing to show new pet owners/potential pet owners what the true cost of caring for them properly really is.

However the best thing about this site is finding other people who are as daft as I am about their pets and feeling like I'm in good company!

As always, thanks  :Luv:

x

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 22:20:54 PM »
Ignoring the necessities of vaccinations and neutering etc. our costs cost us about £10 a month on James Well Beloved dry food. Other half buys Whiskas wet food but they are seemingly not interested in this anymore.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 22:19:15 PM »
Add it up, cry and then look at their little faces and think - oh, what the hell!!!!!   :evillaugh: :naughty: :Luv2: :rofl:

Yup - they're worth every penny.  I'll happily go without stuff like holidays in order to care for my boys.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 22:00:05 PM »
I daren't work it out, I just buy cat food when I need it and dont always think of seeing how long it lasts. I do know that I spent around £1k at the vets last year (well, the bulk was paid by the insurance company, and some direct without me having to find it first) and it was slightly more than that the year before - and that was only with 2 cats. i got Tigers last insurance payout and found out I spent £50 more than I remember doing, which was quite scary. I am terrible at budgeting though, and jsut stick at 2 cats cos I always get one that is expensive and woudlnt want to take on a third and have that have health issues that would cause me to struggle, it wouldnt be fair on the cats. I am lucky to get my cat fix through fostering though.
Please spay your cat

Offline maryas

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • SUPERMUM to BONNIE
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 21:55:00 PM »
Never calculated it and I won't be doing.  She is worth every penny that I might spend on her and I'm sure lots of you feel the same.  Fortunately unlike some of you I'm single, no kids and no debts (except my mortgage for a few more years).  You will no doubt have to consider all monies spent.  I still look out for bargains just as I would with every day shopping that I do - bought my Chrismas cards at M&S today for next year!

Add it up, cry and then look at their little faces and think - oh, what the hell!!!!!   :evillaugh: :naughty: :Luv2: :rofl:

Mary
Love me, love my cat - don't love my cat... S*D off! R.I.P Smudgie - sleep well my precious little darling, I miss you so much. 01.02.94-15.04.08 x Look after the beautiful Bonnie Bum, I took her pain away 02.04.15 x Tisha was with me 3 weeks and then I had to take her pain away 1.7.15 x

Offline karenjet

• Distinguished Cat
  • Miss Jasmine <3 (R.I.P Special girl)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 20:50:52 PM »
Mine cost a lot too. I'm going to England for 6 days tomorrow so ordered their stuff from Tesco online to do them for that time and it was nearly £50. That's for wet food, dry food, cat milk and cat litter. Paid out £20 on advocate for them on Monday. Then the insurance for the 4 of them every month, and lil trips to the vet. . . . it all adds up. They're worth every penny though :Luv:

Know what you mean, Schmew, I've got 2 jobs too lol.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 17:47:44 PM »
Oh dear i shouldnt have read that link and notice i spend 2k a year not including vet fees :what: :what: :what:

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 17:42:58 PM »
I don't even wanna go there LOL! I've never worked it out, and I don't want to!!  ;D

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 17:30:48 PM »
Susanne!!!! I must have missed that thread at the time, I shall go and read it now

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 17:29:43 PM »
In monetary terms I guess they are a bottomless pit but that's not why we have them  :Luv: :Luv2: Don't begrudge them a penny, just wish I could squeeze another one in!

I know exactly what you mean BC, it's the budgeting time of year that brings this kind of thing up! It's just so scary when you're on your own and have to worry about the what ifs financially.......Part of me thinks live for now and help out another animal, but I'm sensible enough to know that could all go wrong if I couldn't afford to give it everything it needed, which is really important to me (and all others I suspect!).

I have talked myself in and out of this new dog so many times I am going crazy  :Crazy:

However that's not what this is about, I'm genuinely interestd in how people manage!

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 17:25:36 PM »
Ah yes - unfortunately I have!  In excess of £100 a month for 2 cats here.

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=5309.0

Offline lucy

• Hero Cat
  • Xanthe
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 17:25:02 PM »
If you looked on it at as investment noone would ever have pets or children!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 17:21:34 PM »
ah, yes. I have done those sums several times when trying to work out budgets to afford special items - I usually go without the special item. Strangely an extra (four-legged) mouth to feed always manages to get squeezed in. I have, however, found myself eating the left-overs on occasion :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
Calculating the cost (scary!)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 17:16:04 PM »
Has anyone sat and worked out how much it costs to keep their pets? I'm only asking as I'm desperately broody for dog number 3 (I've found her too, although not met her) and have been doing some sums, having just taken on cat number 3 (wel you gotta have equal numbers haven't you  :rofl: )

Frighteningly, I have worked out that to feed the three adult cats here it costs £30 per month, and I thought I got things cheap! (As in bulk buy Felix tins and pouches from Cost Co, and their own brand biscuits at the moment).

I won't go on with the costs of all the other things I've worked out, but crikey o reilly there's no way I can give up my second job, more like need to look for a third!

Just wondering how other people go on with their costs? I know many of you have many more cats than I do!

Link to CatChat