Author Topic: Willow peeing everywhere again  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Willow peeing everywhere again
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 10:55:14 AM »
Thanks Dawn,

Somebody mentioned it - I thought it was on this thread but it must have been on another. I will find out what it is about but not sure if it will offer any practical help. She seems to have stopped again except I had a big box delivered yesterday with 20 boxes of RC wet. She sprayed up the box - it ran onto the hallway floor (luckily it is amtico) but ran underneath the door frame  :tired:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 10:27:11 AM »
there is an ad in this months your cat, somebody is doing a study on spraying/weeing and is looking for people to take part - if I remember I will post details tomorrow

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 21:56:21 PM »
I really dont know why Oliver is spraying- now that Saffron has gone  :shify:

He's as chilled as a bean, lying flat on his back in the living room  :innocent:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 16:46:12 PM »
She seems a lot better today but as you say, she was having a spray fest and anything is fair game. There was a clean flannel on the kitchen table last night. I saw her go to squat and grabbed it - as you can imagine, she peed on my hand. I could shut her in one room but I don't think OH would stand for that. I was just venting really as I know these kinds of threads go round in circles  :(

JS - I don't know her history as she was a rescue cat but that is the impression I get. She was only one when OH took her as she had been rehomed due to being spiteful with children (probably the children didn't heed warnings)

Anyway,  OHs boring but expensive business books seem to be a major target - thinking about it, she does rend to pee on things that smell of him  :Crazy: - anyway, they go in the bin, £50 a throw or not  :evillaugh: - I had to bin all my uni assignent work so nothing to refer to. Hopefully as it has been marked, it isn't needed any more. I was quite proud of some of it  :shy:
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 16:54:25 PM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 13:33:35 PM »
this is probably a stupid question, but is there any way that Willow could be kept apart from Kylie, even if it's in a smaller more confined area?  I'm not sure if busparone is available in injections so if she can't be pilled, then that's a non starter.
The other thing is to clean where she's sprayed with something that removes all the odour that she can recognise as hers. That's what we were told with Max. An awful lot easier said than done when everything in the house is a target. Does your OH make a mega fuss of her as we found that helped a bit too. Max was so awful, spraying every day and miserable, you'd not have known it was the same cat once we'd moved. (not much help that, sorry).

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 10:48:17 AM »
Poor Willow. I can imagine it must be terribly difficult for your OH to accept, but if she's permanently stressed or waiting to get that stressed due to the other cats all the time it can't be good for her psychologically. I think if you've tried everything, sometimes recognising that a quieter new home is what they need is the kindest thing to do.

Was she definitely separated from her mother too early? Asteroid exhibits signs of that (she burrows into my armpit and neck when I'm in bed and paddles...) but has so far just been obsessive about being the first to use the trays; which oddly she comes from the outdoors to use!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 09:49:41 AM »
Me too, Schui was a pee-er (and a pooer) but I found Feliway helped, Schui targeted papers so we had to stop leaving any around (I had to order new OU books because he kept peeing on them).  He also used to pee in Byron's beds so they were sprayed, it helped alot - I'm sure you'll have tried that though Mark?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:50:11 AM by Janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 09:37:59 AM »
I have a couple of sprayer's, they are very naughty cos they actually know they are doing wrong!!!

If I catch Yagga about to start I shout at him and he runs to the litter tray for a pee!  :shify:

Gizzy is more sneaky!  :sneaky: The OH was fixing his friends laptop and he peed all over the carry case!  :shocked:

All I can offer you Mark is a big  :hug: and I really know what you are going through!  :Luv: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 09:30:26 AM »
I wish there was a simple answer Mark, it must be awfully hard on all of you  :hug: :hug:

I truly do hope you find a workable solution to help alleviate Willow's peeing problems without having to rehome one of your babes  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 09:01:22 AM »
Kylie is really aggressive with Willow and goes for her all the time. We think part of the problem is that Willow doesn't understand cat language. She doesn't do the eye closing etc that other cats do. Willow always goes for Clapton but more in an annoying brat way rather than aggression. I wanted to vent really as I know the only true solution is to rehome but OH won't hear of it.

I think Willow is probably a typical example of a kitten that was taken away from its mum too early and never learned how to behave around other cats.

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 07:25:59 AM »

If the vet rules out health issues do you think you might have to have the conversation with your OH again?

Yes as it isn't fair on her and it isn't fair on me. I have offered to rehome Kylie (as much as I love her)  but OH won't have that either.

:( Why Kylie Mark?
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 00:00:23 AM »
Is Willow the only cat in the group upset by other the cats?

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 22:00:31 PM »
I know how you feel  :tired: and although you love em to bits its rather annoying  >:(
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 20:14:26 PM »

If the vet rules out health issues do you think you might have to have the conversation with your OH again?

Yes as it isn't fair on her and it isn't fair on me. I have offered to rehome Kylie (as much as I love her)  but OH won't have that either.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 19:40:39 PM »
Oh Mark - poor you and poor Willow. It's such a delicate balance if she reacts so strongly every time one of the other cats goes to an area she classes as "hers."

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 19:08:44 PM »
Yes Kylie belonged to Dennis before we met. Willow always sleeps n the bed but Kylie hasn't for years. In fact she normally sleeps in the kitchen (there is a sofa with a big bed on it) - No idea why she has suddenly changed her sleeping place  :Crazy:

Anyway, there has been another development. I just found a heap of soft poo and 2 dribbles of wee on one of the stairs landings - the stairs I shampooed last week  :tired: - I have just had the extraction machine out and clean it up (after disinfecting) - I will keep and eye on her but I may multitask tomorrow as I need to do a homecheck at 2pm in the same road as the vet - Willow may be joining me (Don't worry, only for a checkup  :evillaugh: )

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 18:30:10 PM »
Mark, Willow is your OHs cat isn't she? (As in he had Willow when you got together.) My partner finds Old Mog hard work with her yowling at all hours and he felt pretty bad telling me that. You can't help the way you feel and if it's you that clears up after Willow it makes it even more difficult.

Does Willow normally sleep on the bed and Kylie not?

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 18:26:03 PM »
You won't have to pill her with Zylkene, you can open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on her food (if you can find something she'll eat of course!  :) ) Its not a drug as such anyway, it doesnt taste at all (I've tasted it LOL!).

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 18:17:13 PM »
I know this has been going on for a while Mark, and you've probably tried most things - but don't know if you've tried Zylkene? Might be worth giving it a go. I know the feeling - I've got sprayers and I've had to make plastic covers for my books in the bookshelf (a regular target!) and for the sockets in the kitchen and I definitely have to make sure the toaster is put away after use because the smell of burnt cat wee is something that you don't forget for a long time  :sick:

The thing is, she had more or less stopped until a few days ago. I can't give her Zylkene (and therefore probably any other drug) as she is impossible to pill, won't eat treats and won't even eat a proper meal. I can't even put 1/4 pouch down and know that she will eat it. She is the most difficult cat I have ever known. As horrible as it sounds, I don't want her around any more. OH loves her to bits but doesn't have to deal with her other than give her a fuss.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 18:22:33 PM by Mark »

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 18:14:06 PM »
Thanks Kate. I will look into the Busparone. I am getting sick of not being able to put a single thing down without it being peed on. Hanging bags on door handles etc.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 18:24:17 PM by Mark »

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 18:12:39 PM »
I know this has been going on for a while Mark, and you've probably tried most things - but don't know if you've tried Zylkene? Might be worth giving it a go. I know the feeling - I've got sprayers and I've had to make plastic covers for my books in the bookshelf (a regular target!) and for the sockets in the kitchen and I definitely have to make sure the toaster is put away after use because the smell of burnt cat wee is something that you don't forget for a long time  :sick:

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 18:09:24 PM »
no advice, just to say I'm so sorry. We had this with Max in Cape Town due to his stress at smelling the neighbour's dogs- the other side of a wall (!). We had to rewire and replace plug sockets all over the house as he wee'd on them and blew them and we owned not a thing he hadn't peed on. (since moving,not a wee, touch wood). There's not much you can do if you can't remove the source of stress, other than line your good furniture with something or keep Willow out of areas where she can do the most damage (if possible?).
Poor Willow must be so stressed. We tried busparone on Max with little positive result but it is supposed to help with some cats according to the vet I took Max to for his acupuncture. Zylkene may not be strong enough?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
Willow peeing everywhere again
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 18:03:53 PM »
She has started again over the last few days. Coincides with Kylie deciding she is going to sleep on the bed. I am fed up with picking up things and having cat pee dripping off them. She peed up the LCD TV screen yesterday. Up  a Georgian chest this morning and I found all my uni assignment work that I had put together soaked in it. Also others books etc that have had to be thrown out. She has to go or I will  >:(
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 18:05:22 PM by Mark »

Link to CatChat