Author Topic: Lyla had a mouse!  (Read 4762 times)

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
  • Mr T and Chloe - We will meet again at the Bridge
  • Slave to: Celyn and Olwyn
Re: Lyla had a mouse!
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »
Harry has a way of getting around the bells, he just takes his collar off  :tired:

Oh - thats a no go then!!

Gizmo was a darling but not overly blessed with brains ....  he made up for it with a high cuddle-factor  :Luv2: 

He once caught a baby rat and was terribly excited, rushing up the garden to tell me all about it.  As he saw me, he opend his mouth to shout out the news "Look Mum - reat big Mousie!!" and .... the rat fell out and ran away  :doh:  Poor old Giz - lucky little ratlet!  :evillaugh:
People Power Works!!!

Offline CC & The Pussycat Guys & Dolls

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2009, 22:24:55 PM »
Harry has a way of getting around the bells, he just takes his collar off  :tired:
Just because your out of sight, does not mean your out of mind <3

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2009, 18:38:19 PM »
Gizmo used to bring in so many frogs - and they are fairly rare these days ..... so we strung him with bells.  It worked, although Ive heard of cats who just learn to be stealthier  :(
People Power Works!!!

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2009, 10:23:26 AM »
Wow Wibble I have never seen a parrot just out in the open air before. We do have some kind of Hawk around though which makes me worry for my rabbits.  :scared:

I dont think the mice are too bad, its the baby birds especially when their parents are going mad and cat jumps over the fence out of reach. I just hate to see anything suffer and to die scared and hurt is not a way to go for me.

Even though its natural for cats to hunt, its not natural for me to stand by and let it suffer.

Offline Judecat (Paula)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Emo, Bob and Pippa, Pirate and Merlin. Playing hard on The Bridge, Trouble, Jude, Mogwai and Pussmog
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 23:25:46 PM »
Brilliant photos! ((Smile)) year before last we hand reared a fledgeling magpie, it would have been two if we had realised the deleted expletive Crow had knocked two out of the the nest. Jude, my NFC, brought home the siblings remnants through the cat flap. The 'pie, named Sweepee, has returned with a 'sweetheart' in the last couple of weeks in a tree adjacent to the parent birds, so good stories do happen. I posted piccies of Sweepee on The Hovel at the time
Oscar Wilde on his adored Mog "The Mighty Atom that purrs and furrs"

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 21:45:05 PM »
The racket they make when they come and eat the chestnuts is amazing  :Crazy:  One scout bird arrives - screams a bit, flies off and fetches its mates and its feast time.  What was fascinating is that the pigeons, who couldn't normally eat chestnuts as they cant break into them have discovered that the parakeets are messy eaters and drop bits.  The pigeons sit below the trees and cash in on the "fallout"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 21:45:31 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2009, 21:19:57 PM »
god those ring necked parakeets are noisy, they drive me mad, bloody things!
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2009, 20:17:44 PM »
I wonder if birds can be deemed to be racist? 

The Magpies, Crows and Jays all hate eachother but not as much as they ALL hate the Ring Necked Parakeets!!!  In the autumn, when the Sweet Chestnuts are on the tree and the Parakeets arrive, the "native" birds go mental.  The noise is deafening as the Parakeets shout back. 

And it will soon be Swift time.  They kick up a racket, too. 

4.30 to 5.00am dawn-chorus as they shuffle out of their nest hole in the roof, just above my bedroom window.  Their shrieking is swiftly (excuse pun! :naughty:) followed by Chloe and Mr T wailing to be allowed to go out and try to catch them .... :tired:
People Power Works!!!

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2009, 20:03:51 PM »
 :rofl:  Lupus got divebombed by a family of magpies once. he had a fledgling starling and they wanted it.  the poor mum and dad starlings were squalking like mad on the guttering.  poor Lupus eventually let go of the baby which scuttled under the shed.  the magpies gave up after about half an hour of waiting for the baby to come out.  the mum and dad starlings were more patient (their nest was under my eaves) and eventually the baby came out and made it safely back to the nest.  that was one lucky bird.

the magpies are awful, a whole gang of them sit in the tree in my front garden and entice the cats up as far as they can and then fly off.  as soon as the cats make thier way back down the birds come back and wind them up again.  it's very funny, i'll try to get some video of them this year.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wibblechick

• Royal Cat
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2009, 19:41:36 PM »
My first cat, Pixie, was a great mouser.  She would deliberately disable them - bite a leg off, then "play"  Whenever she brought something in I used to put her and it outside in the garden and make it clear I didnt approve ..... 
I wish I could say it stopped her - it didnt - but at least she caught on I didnt want carnage in the house.
She nearly learned a hard lesson when she caught a young magpie.  She had no idea what to do with it, as it was so much larger than her usual birds, so she sat on it to have a think!! 
Mum and Dad Magpie, plus the entire Magpie rent-a-mob of Chessington turned up and mobbed her.  She fled.  Baby Magpie escaped, seemingly unhurt as it flew up into a tree with the many, many others. 
Pixie had a healthy respect for Maggies, after that  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 19:42:28 PM by Wibblechick »
People Power Works!!!

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2009, 10:48:02 AM »
Its just that Harry is a superb hunter. I learned this whilst playing with Da bird with him. He can twist and turn in mid-air like nothing I have ever seen before, none of my other cats can do what he does lets just put it that way! He is matrix cat!!!

Seriously though I know nothing stands a chance with Harry, thats why I dont like it! I even came in from the garden a few nights ago to see the leg and tail of a mouse slip down his throat  :sick:

If it was just for play and he brought them back unharmed I wouldnt be bothered, but he brings them back with heads/ limbs hanging off. So its certain death  :(

Offline Feline Costumier

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 08:24:55 AM »
In peak season I have no doubt Chilli kills of several mice and at least one bird a day. If she did it in the garden you knew all about it because there would be an awful commotion from all the other birds in the area. As for the magpies, they used to square up to her and squawk into the flat from the tree next to my balcony or if we were indoors from the railings on the balcony! Generally at 6am :tired: Chilli always rose to it too, never did catch one though, they always outsmarted her, I'm sure much to her chagrin.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2009, 04:41:21 AM »
your birds sound daft unless you put food for them on or near the ground.  :shify:

Harry is very cunning is more like it!  :sneaky: He climbs the trees for them!  :scared: :Crazy:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2009, 01:28:37 AM »
your birds sound daft unless you put food for them on or near the ground.  :shify:

My birds look before they leap LOL..........Misa cant understand why they fly away or sit on top of things taunting him...he really is a mouser.

Sasa however could catch a bird on the wing but my birds have learnt that there are hunter-killers around and are quite careful  ;D

Mice just dont stand a chance.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2009, 00:18:15 AM »
I let him out about 7 and he was still like he was drunk. He managed to get over to next doors garden tho so I just left him, and wished him good luck!  :shy:

Its all starting now and I dont think I can cope with it! Harry is a hunter and now Lyla is doing exactly the same. I cant cope with double the death, Harry was getting 2 birds a day last summer  :( I really considered keeping him indoors.

I have even had to deal with a pigeon with its head hanging off but still alive!!! Harry was just sitting there letting it suffer. It was just blinking at me and that really broke me heart, made me not like Harry for a while I felt like he was a monster!

I need to know how to kill things humainly or else I am really going to have to consider keeping the pair of them as house cats!

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 20:29:06 PM »
They do like cheese cos I used cheese to get a terrified one into a box for safety from my mouseman Misa!

I watched it in the box picking up a piece of cheese and nibbling it  ;D

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2009, 20:24:45 PM »
I think is best that you take him outside and leave him in a quiet place, my picollo used to bring them in all the times and once there was this one which i thought was injured and tried to keep him in a box , but after moving him to the box it just froze and didnt move any more so i thought the poor guy is dead :( I put him on a big leaf of lettuce and took him to the back garden and left him in a corner , turned my back and then thought let me cover him and there he was gone! So it just may be that he is scared of you and he can smell the cats .
Some fresh air and off he goes to his family, i hope. :)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2009, 20:03:29 PM »
I know mice aren't birds ( :evillaugh: ) but when I rescued a pigeon bobbing around in the canal where I lived in Hackney (Vicky Park), When I finally got some advice - the RSPB were useless. A stuck up sounding woman asked if it was a swan. I told her I thought it was a pigeon and she said they "couldn't possibly help me"  >:( - anyway, I digress  :evillaugh: - The local RSPCA told me that it was probably in shock and to put it in a cardboard box somewhere dark and quiet for 6 hours. He said it would either be better or dead. Amazingly, it seemed a lot better so my friend Peri came with me and we released it in Victoria Park. It was walking around but not flying  :( - Some crows started worrying it so we put it back in the box for a while. We released it a while later and it ran into some rose bushes. We couldn't find it and my friend said we just had to let nature take its course  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 19:53:09 PM »
A friend of mine put some cheese in the box with the mouse and left it settle a little while before releasing it

Now i have been told that mice dont actually like cheese !!
apparently their like things like sausage rolls or CHOCCY

that mouse did!

I agree Mark, probably shocked or stunned poor thing
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 19:54:47 PM by janeyk »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 19:12:43 PM »
Possibly in shock. Should it be given some water or a food with high water content as they pee constantly?

Just found a link here - raw fruit and mouse food. It says they have poor recuperative powers  :(
http://www.petloversonline.co.uk/mice.htm
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 19:55:41 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 19:08:30 PM »
they do love chócolate

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2009, 19:07:37 PM »
A friend of mine put some cheese in the box with the mouse and left it settle a little while before releasing it

Now i have been told that mice dont actually like cheese !!
apparently their like things like sausage rolls or CHOCCY

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 19:03:47 PM »
i obviously worded that wrongly.  of course if the animal is suffering then its entirely different.  however just because the vast majority of mice and baby birds and such like wont survive due to the "nature" of nature doesnt mean it's ok to kill them.  which is how woodlandcats post came across to me

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 18:59:10 PM »
i don't kill anything, it's not my place to decide who lives and who dies.

I must disagree with you, Bonkers Mad.  To spare any animal from suffering should be our paramount consideration, in my opinion.  Including homo sapiens, of course.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 18:47:17 PM »
i don't kill anything, it's not my place to decide who lives and who dies.

Offline woodlandcats

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 18:43:44 PM »
We kill mice the cats don't kill (which rarely happens) it's "human" to kill them as they won't survive most of the time, it's nature
Every life should have 9 cats

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 16:52:44 PM »
I tend to put the box in the bathroom with the door shut and the light off

that's exactly what i do.

if you have some peanuts they absolutely love them and if it eats then its probably ok.  is it a field mouse or a housemouse?  do you know?

i kept the last fieldmouse that Jack bought in, Rebound lived for 3 years in a gerbilarium that was huge for a little mouse.  we called him the luckiest mouse alive.  i wouldnt want to keep a house mouse though, they smell  :rofl:

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 16:41:46 PM »
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 16:12:59 PM »
I tend to put the box in the bathroom with the door shut and the light off ....gives the mouse time to recover quietly.
I would also release it later tonight once your cats are all indoors

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 16:00:58 PM »
it could be shock - I once rescued from the jaws of death a bluetit which was unable to stand - I feared the worst but put it on the shelf by an open window in the garden shed and watched through the binoculars - 20 minutes later it flew out of the open window
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 15:56:18 PM »
Shock maybe but im afraid i let nature take its course when any prey is injured, its a quicker end

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 15:55:40 PM »
Ok thanks  :)

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 15:46:12 PM »
i usually keep them in a box until all of mine are in for the night before i release them.  i had one that kept falling over so i took it to the local wildlife hospital thinking it had a bad leg.  turns out it was concussed and just needed a few hours quiet time.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 15:29:32 PM »
Its moving around in the box. I would of let it out already but its still falling over, thats whats putting me off.

One of my lot will just walk back in with it and hopefully not Harry as he eats them  :sick:

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 15:27:06 PM »
I've rescued a few in my time - any mouse which enters the cat enclosure is snapped up instantly by Tiffany, but she brings them into the house so I soon get them off her

it may have an injury to a leg, but I don't think it will survive being kept very long, so can only suggest you release it in the safest place you can find - under a shed or into the middle of a thick hedge, perhaps
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Royal Cat
  • Ollie Bonga
Lyla had a mouse!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 15:23:13 PM »
And now the mouse is in a box  ;D alive although its a bit strange!

Its ok I think but when I handle it it keeps falling over, as if its drunk! I just went to let it out, its been in the box for about an hour, and its still falling over a bit wobbily!

I have checked it over and cant see any blood or injuries. What should I do with the little guy?

As you may guess I dont usually come across live ones.

I know how to deal with mice but this one doesn't seem right  :-:

Link to CatChat