Author Topic: Question On Indoor Outdoor Cats?  (Read 2576 times)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
Re: Question On Indoor Outdoor Cats?
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 22:54:50 PM »
When I was younger it was fairly common for dogs to roam freely but look how that has changed.

That is so true. when I was a child our dog was chained to the kennel and we 'let it off for a run' once a day. It took itself off around the river bank and wandered from our property across another to an abattoir two headlands over the way. It was only when it started coming back with offal that we slowed this down as parents worried about hydatids. Nowadays Shadow would think I had cut his throat if I tried to chain him to a kennel, he gets taken for walks on and off-leash and sleeps in my bedroom (sometimes on the bed if it is really cold). Attitudes change and personally I would prefer to keep my kitties in where they are safe as the facilities exist to make their lives as indoor cats rich and stimulating. (note to self - must get da bird!!! lol)

Offline Schmew

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 22:33:57 PM »
My first FIV cat was used to being outside but only ever went into the garden when I went with her so when I found she was positive I didn't change that. The positive cats I've had since pussy willow have all been indoors, with access to an enclosed run (which has grown over the years) so they're still safe but can get fresh air. I'll always have FIV cats so the situation will always be the same here, and to be honest I don't think my nerves would take it if I had cats that I let out free to roam, I know I would worry too much!

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 11:59:38 AM »
It certainly does seem to be more common.  When I first got Jaffa I didnt' know anyone else who kept a cat indoors.  Granted, I didn't have the internet then so didn't have access to cat forums, but it really does seem to be so much more common to keep them indoors now.  When I was younger it was fairly common for dogs to roam freely but look how that has changed.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
personally i do think that in a few years outdoor cats will be the minority.

I am sure you are right, I know we are getting asked more and more for indoor cats.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:30:32 AM »
personally i do think that in a few years outdoor cats will be the minority.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 12:25:42 PM »
I think the advice in the article is very wise - always keep your kitty indoors after dark. Mind you in winter that is for around 20 hours a day  :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 12:01:36 PM »
I remember someone posting stats on catchat last year and it was shocking. Not exact figures but I remember in the UK alone I think it was over 200 A DAY!  :'(

It was me  ;) but the post was removed !!

It was facts given by a well known insurance company.
The number of deaths and injuries were really high and that was just from that company !

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 19:51:10 PM »
3 x the number I thought and even then I thought is was shocking  :(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 19:33:11 PM »
I know theres been posts on here about this issue on how its safer  for cats to to be indoor & on the problem on RTAs but Im wondering if theres statistics on RTAs/other dangers?

I remember someone posting stats on catchat last year and it was shocking. Not exact figures but I remember in the UK alone I think it was over 200 A DAY!  :'(
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 18:45:46 PM »
My personal statistics are: four outdoor cats died in RTA, several seriously injured due to activities available to them as outdoor cats. None since I kept them indoors. Since then all my babies have died as a result of old age or terminal illness.

MBll

Question On Indoor Outdoor Cats?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 18:41:34 PM »
I know theres been posts on here about this issue on how its safer  for cats to to be indoor & on the problem on RTAs but Im wondering if theres statistics on RTAs/other dangers?

Link to CatChat