Author Topic: How Could You?  (Read 3408 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: How Could You?
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2007, 19:31:25 PM »
Tiger is a tabby too Leigh. I hope she does, we have limited time together, as she has 2 arthritic hips, and either a tumour or chronic inflammation in one knee, and has either refused meds, or they haven't helped, so we have to monitor her quality of life now - and we have had a bad weekend.
Please spay your cat

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
  • Alfie, Frankie & Leigh, my boys & me
    • http://www.alfie-cat.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 19:23:55 PM »
Hi Desley, that's a lovely stiory, I bet she loves you very much, as you know, these things take time and when they come together there's nothing better.

Cheers Dawn, I've always loved tabby cats, she's got such a sweet temperament, she slept behind my head on the pillow for some time after I adopted her, she felt safe there and the boys scared her a bit as they've got so much energy but now she's settled in and just sleeps on top of me instead  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers

Leigh
Alfie and Frankie's dad - "Letterbox" are Rockin' the Feline World

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 19:09:14 PM »
Poor Suzie, bet she is glad to be flea free now
Thanks Leigh and Dawn - I am still waiting for her to repay the kindness, sadly he hadn't done a lot with her, so she isnt' very handleable, she was only supposed to be a foster, but who wants a 13yo cat who doesn't really like people?? Fortunately for her, I love her to bits.
Please spay your cat

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 18:49:05 PM »
Oh that is so sad Desley - glad she is with you now  :Luv:

Leigh - Suzie is a beauty  :Luv:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2007, 18:39:39 PM »
Good for you blackcat, rather too much love than not enough :)

Suzie did the same when I brought her here from my mum's in a taxi via the vets to get her examined and treated for fleas, mum's place was teaming with fleas and I got bitten to pieces every time I went over there each day whilst she was in hospital, I had to de-flea myself every time before arriving home so as to avoid bringing them home to my cats. Well done to you Desley for having Tiger, I believe firmly that animals know when they experience acts of kindness and repay such act one hundred-fold and more. That's why it makes me angry when animals are "abandoned" it's an act of gross betrayal of their love and loyalty.

Cheers all

Leigh
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 18:43:53 PM by LeighK »

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2007, 18:31:20 PM »
That has put a smile on my face, good to know there are good people about.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2007, 18:29:40 PM »
We actually had a stand up family brawl over which of us would get mum's cats. We both wanted them!!

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2007, 18:28:00 PM »
Bless you. Yes, it annoys me too, especially when it is an elderly cat owned from a kitten - I cried when I brought Tiger here, as she cried all the way, she had been there since 8 weeks old, and at 13 was being uprooted, it was heartbreaking - hers was slightly worse in a way, she came here as her owner didn't want the hassle of her anymore and would have had her pts if my vets receptionist hadn't given him an alternative - how could I turn her away?
Please spay your cat

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2007, 18:24:52 PM »
Hi Desley,

It was me who brought her home for my mum on the bus from the pet shop all those years ago as a tiny kitten miaowing all the way there, if that's not family I don't know what is. It really sickens me when I hear stories of family picking over the bones when an elederly relative dies or goes into a home and nobody wanting the animals, makes my very angry.

Cheers

Leigh

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 18:17:54 PM »
LEigh, I wish there were more people like you, who were willing to take on relative's pets, 3 of the ones here are here due to owners having to go into care and no one willing to help out, 2 of which are senior cats.
Please spay your cat

Offline LeighK

• Super Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 18:15:35 PM »
Hi folks,

This type of story always makes me very sad and angry, not the telling of it but the content. When my mum wen't into her nursing home last year I could never abandon her 16, now 17 year old cat Suzie. My cats are every bit my family as any of my human relatives, in most cases more so!. Of all of mum's modest "possesions" and I use the word in the lossest sense, Suzie was and is the most precious and to have her curled up on my bed every night purring whilst I stroke her is too precious for words.

Cheers

Leigh

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 16:22:24 PM »
You wouldn't abandon a family member because they were old or ill

That is exactly how I feel about these Siamese babes I have here at the moment. If the same person had a human baby with the runs, would they consider PTS for them too? A life is a life whether animal or human - neither is more important than the other  >:(

I really hate the way animals are seen by so many people as disposable - it makes me so angry.

Good on you Berties Mum, the world needs more people like those on Purrs  :hug:

RIP to all babes who deserved so much better xxxxxxxxxx
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 16:23:20 PM by Cheesecat (Dawn) »
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 16:16:05 PM »
I'm having a good weep here ... particularly because, as you know, Minnie came to me back in June when her old owner, my nextdoor neighbour, moved to New Zealand leaving Minnie behind and not making any arrangements for her at all.  Some of the other neighbours wanted to call the RSPCA to take her away, but I was too fond of her to let her go.  Now that I know she is blind in one eye, deaf in one ear and 7.5 years old, I'm even more glad I made that decision because I wonder whether she would ever have found a home otherwise.

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 15:44:15 PM »
Isnt it funny our furbabies know when we are crying - Issey has jumped up on my lap to comfort me.

I have read something like that before but this one still has been crying.

Nothing would come between me and my cats, i would move heaven and earth for them and sell what ever i had to if ever needed

RIP all those who have died in rescue centres xxx

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 15:26:29 PM »
Too true :( I'd go to the ends of the earth for my furbabies, and find it so upsetting to think of all the people out there who just treat them like a kitchen appliance - great when it works exactly as you want, but as soon as there's the slightest problem, just ditch it and get a replacement >:( I used to keep ratties, and finding a good vet was hell - we often had to drive for 40 mins to get to a good one. We also had a couple of them with chronic problems, like arthritis and asthma, and it often cost us over £100 a month in treatment, but it never occured to us to count the cost as a problem - they were our babies and worth every penny. You wouldn't abandon a family member because they were old or ill - I fail to see how our fluffies should be any different. Its such a shame that so few people fully consider the commitment and resposibility needed to be a pet owner. I forget where it comes from, but I recall a quote I heard many years ago,
"We remain responsible forever for the things we have tamed".

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 14:41:24 PM »
Sadly too many - and not just puppies either - I was shocked to find out how many small furries end up in rescue last week.
Please spay your cat

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 14:35:01 PM »
I've seens that before, but it still makes me cry every time :( I think it is particularly saddening at this time of year - how many puppies and kittens will be given as poorly considered "presents" only to be abandoned on the following months? :'(

Offline puddypaws

• Hero Cat
  • Mum to Sophie and Oscar
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 14:18:25 PM »
That is really heartbreaking :(

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:11:42 AM »
That is too sad for words, sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks  :'(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 11:12:05 AM by clarenmax »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline le chat noir

• Senior Cat
  • Whiskers now at the bridge & Phoebe currently AWOL
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 11:10:23 AM »
This is so sad - I'm having a cry too.  :'(

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »
Giving SHadow a special hug, cos he knows I am crying. Oh, what a sad story ... :'(

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2007, 10:26:51 AM »
yep, and despite knowing it, and knowing how sad it is, I read it anyway. Although I did have to hug the 17yo purring next to me, who is lucky she is in this country, or she could have had the same fate, as could 2 of the others here.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:29:19 AM by Desley (booktigger) »
Please spay your cat

Offline Beanie

• Senior Cat
  • Beanie
How Could You?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2007, 10:25:05 AM »
The following story may have been seen by a few of you but it sadly illustrates the selfish and ignorant attitude of some human beings. I believe that it is American in origin and looks at life and death through the eyes of a dog. The story could easily relate to a cat too. Whilst most rescues do not euthanise in this country, that is not the universal approach.

I dedicate this story to Lucas and all the waifs and strays who have either been mistreated or find themselves surplus to a family requirements through absolutely no fault of their own and often have to fend for themselves as they are disgarded Sadly. rescues around the UK see similar situations on many occasions when an animal is cast aside.

I would urge people to read it and reflect.

Des, Is this the one that you thought that you posted on Cat Chat?

=========================================================================

When I was a puppy I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent and roll me over for a bellyrub.

My housetraining took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed, listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them, especially their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams. Together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being your dog to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now you have a new career opportunity in another city and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter. It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog or cat, even one with "papers."

You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream...or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table, rubbed my ears and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. With my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not meant for her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

Owning a cat is a lifetime partnership.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi

"I am in favour of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln

Link to CatChat