Author Topic: Links to the damage elasticated collars can do  (Read 1172 times)

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
Re: Links to the damage elasticated collars can do
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2007, 20:41:55 PM »
Everything crossed that they listen JS.

I remember Rosey  :Luv: she is a sweetheart and used to steal Teresa's dinner off her plate  :Luv:

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2007, 20:34:29 PM »
All sent. Hopefully the seller will reconsider her merchandise in future, but it's doubtful.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 20:24:20 PM »
Thanks for the responses.

And thank you for the pictures Teresa. I'm sending them via email to the EBay seller to explain why the collars aren't "safe" for cats.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 20:24:35 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 20:19:21 PM »
Poor Rosie ... Minnie once got her leg through her "safety" collar and it didn't break ... fortunately my OH saw what had happened quite quickly and cut it off ... she had quite a deep graze under her leg though - looking at this poor little one, I think Minxie was really lucky.

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 19:42:23 PM »
My vet sells what he calls safety collars. In fact he give all new customers one. It has a small piece of elastic. When I challenged him on it, he snapped one. I'm sure the average cat wouldn't be able to though. He still insists they are safety but I'm not. They are made by catac. Tesco are selling a £1.00 cat set that has a small bowl, a toy and a collar with a buckle. I dread to think how many thousands of these they will sell.

I don't know if anyone remembers last year when I contacted trading standards regarding pets at home selling elasticated collars as safety. They had a meeting with pets at home and were satisfied they were safety collars  >:(

« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 19:48:10 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 19:09:21 PM »
I only wish I had taken pics of some of the injuries we have dealt with. I just don't think people always believe us when we say what terrible injuries can be caused by collars, even the so called safety collars on occasions.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Teresa Pawcats

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • www.pawsinncatrescue.co.uk
    • Paws Inn Website rehoming page
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 18:58:58 PM »
Heres some pictures of Rosey,one of last years rescues who many Cat Chatters will remember.She had a pink elasticated collar which her front leg went through,despite attempts to try to save the leg Rosey ended up losing it.
Have lots more pics of her injuries if needed.
Sorry if these pics distress anyone,Rosey is now a very happy girl in her new home.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
Links to the damage elasticated collars can do
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 18:45:38 PM »
I emailed a question to an EBay member and got this reply:

"hi, the collars are safety collars so are elasticated and totally safe for your furry friend.thanks for your question."

Obviously, I'm not buying them now! Does anyone have a link to the pictures that illustrate what a cat can do to itself with one of those collars?

Link to CatChat