Author Topic: Teeth Cleaning  (Read 1069 times)

Offline sharonbee

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Max,Chloe,Paris,Dave,Isak,Freya
Re: Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2011, 22:21:57 PM »
I clean all my cats teeth with Logic tooth paste from the vets, I brush them daily. It is quite easy and they do get used to it after a while.

You don't need to brush all round the teeth, just lift up their gums and brush gently. If you have a very difficult cat you can just put this in the mouth without brushing but it isn't quite as effective as when you brush them. I usually buy baby toothbrushes.

I did try raw feeding as it is good for the teeth but my lot looked at me like I was away with the fairies, they jumped on it, threw it round the floor a few times, tried to kill it again and then walked away. I didn't try it again.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2011, 16:09:23 PM »
Yes, they splinter if they're cooked. Raw is fine. I try not to rely too much on commercially prepared cat foods, so chicken tends to make up a decent amount of their diet.

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
    • Poppy Seed Cats - Cat collars, accessories and cat art.
  • Slave to: Jazz, Marble, Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2011, 15:50:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

I thought chicken bones were bad for cats and would splinter in their throats. Is it just if they are cooked?

@Tiggys mum do you know what the powder is called? It sounds like a good idea.

Offline Lauryn

• Adult Cat
  • Slave to: Belle, Malcolm & Hal
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 11:38:02 AM »
My family's cat, Henry, had a bit of gingivitis and the vet suggested he be put on Science Plan Vet Essentials. While not exactly cheap, it did clear it up. I should probably mention that Henry is a bit of a chubster, so it helped with that, too.

With my 5, I opt for the chicken bone approach. Think they get less trouble from the vet than most people get from the dentist, so seems to be working well for us. They get hours of fun out of the bones, too.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
Good luck with the teeth brushing! When I got the boys as kittens I tried to get them used to things eg brushing, claw clipping - brushing teeth was the only thing I failed on as they were having none of it! :naughty:

Is your brush the type that goes on a finger or a normal one? I have a feeling a finger brush would be easier.

Aside from brushing you can get plaque off which is a powder you sprinkle on the food, it must taste OK  as mine don't seem to notice. There is also logic gel which is a gel you (ideally) squirt on their gums or squirt onto food - it has an enzymatic action and doesn't require brushing.

Treatwise there are whiskas dentabits but not sure how effective they are as they are very palatable and mine don't chew but instead inhale them!

Raw chicken wings are a good natural alternative.

Offline Poppy Seed Cats

• Adult Cat
    • Poppy Seed Cats - Cat collars, accessories and cat art.
  • Slave to: Jazz, Marble, Kiwi
Teeth Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 02:54:22 AM »
Hi Guys,

My favourite kitty Jazz (I know I shouldn't have a favourite :scared:) had his annual health check today and vet said he has some plaque build up on his back teeth so I will have to start brushing them on a weekly basis otherwise he will either need to be sedated and the vet clean them or he will get gingivitis. :-[

I've never cleaned a cats teeth before and Jazz is the boss cat who has to be bribed with treats just to be brushed for 5 minutes. I've got the cat toothpaste and brush set ready to go I just now need to pluck up the courage to try it. Does anyone have any useful advice for me? Also does anyone know of any treats I can give him similar to dentistix for dogs that will keep his teeth in tip top condition.

He's my baby and I want to avoid him been sedated at all costs because of the danger of something going wrong.

Link to CatChat