Author Topic: advice?  (Read 1532 times)

Online Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: advice?
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 19:10:04 PM »
I agree with Jen, I would definitely ask if there is anything needed computer wise, they might appreciate someone who can help with CatChat, or maybe something like an e-bay shop.
Please spay your cat

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 12:12:45 PM »

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 11:07:59 AM »
I'd still email people and call them as there's always work needed to be done on the phone lines or answering emails, what about setting up a website or maintaining their websites?

I'd pester, but then that's just me  :innocent:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline jecca

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:10 AM »
hey everyone, little update for you guys.

iv seen on the rescues website what they are looking for in volenteers,and all theyr looking for is fosterers,and home checkers, unfotunatly i cant do either of them.

you need your own transport for one,and id love to do fostering but i dont have the room or the means to get the cat to the vet if needed.

aw well :( maybe next time..

thanks for all your advice and encouraging words :)
cats arent for crimbo theyr for life:) *taz and pooka*

Offline wharfevalley catsprotection

• Cat Rescue
  • Distinguished Cat
  • Bobby - looking for a new home
    • Cats Protection Wharfe Valley
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:08:36 AM »
Hey hun!

Just wanted to say that the whole reason I got involved in CP was because I was ill with panic and agoraphobia - I can honestly, honestly say that my volunteering made me better. Although I was working from home, the confidence it gave me in learning new skills, meeting new people (albeit over email for a long time!) and helping made a difference.

I can now go and meet volunteers and go to the pens (becuase i've gotten to know them and feel safe there) etc and 3 years down the line, i'm just about to take on the co-ordinator's role!

If you ever need owt, just drop me a PM - i've been there (and still get agrophobic feelings) so know what you're going thru xxxxxxxx  :hug:
Visit the cats and kittens looking for homes in the Leeds area at www.cats-wharfevalley.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 09:41:49 AM »
Jecca, don't feel embarrassed. People get ill, it's one of those things. And physical or psychological they impact on your life severely.

I think your list idea is a good one, let us know how you get on. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline jecca

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 23:25:10 PM »
actualy yeh you do have a point :) :)

i am realy good on the phone(i used to work in a call centre a few years back) so i could do that ;D

i just want to help in anyway, i understand the amount of rescues needing a hand with things and how hard it can be for the people working there trying to juggle everything. :shocked:

im gonna write down everything,and see what my forte would be :) thanks for that bit of advice :) going to do that now.

as for computer skills,im good at that,might need a recap on spread sheets but nout that couldnt be sorted :)

cheers! :shy:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 23:14:36 PM »
Well first off, well done for wanting to do something to help the rescue.  :hug:

Secondly, what you need to do is list your particular talents and skills and see if that matches what they need. We had a thread recently in the General chat section I think... Stuart felt there wasn't much he could do to help his local rescue as he had so little time and such limited space... but when all the jobs a rescue needs to do is listed down, it soon becomes evident that almost everyone can do some little thing to make life easier for the other volunteers and share the load.  ;)

How are you like on the phone for instance? Do you think you could handle calls from the public and (with a bit of training) offer advice? How are your computer skills? Can you do spreadsheets and help wirh record keeping? Could you help with fundraising efforts in some way? Or publicity? Run and maintain a Catchat page?

There are so many varied tasks needed to keep a rescue running, I am confident there's some way you can contribute no matter what your skills base is.  ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 23:04:54 PM »
First is....can you get there?

if the answer is yes then ring them and be open and honest.

I helped Cp after I was taken ill and had no balance  and they let me cuddle cats , which was great for me and hopefully helped the cats too.

It really depends what they want these volunteers to do, whether they need to be able to drive or what.

Somethings you maybe able to do and others maybe not but you have nothing to lose, they can only say no  :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 22:52:44 PM »
I don't have any advice I'm afraid hun, but I would say go for it, you have nothing to lose by asking, and iniative can often get you a long way xxx

Best of luck  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline jecca

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 22:51:37 PM »
yeah,i just feel a bit embarresed to ask and explain my current situation :scared:

i just feel a bit of a joke tbh,and maybe theyl think i would be a danger to the cats...

just want a little bit advice befre i phone them lol ;)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 22:49:19 PM »
All you can do is ask and if they are willing to let you have a try  :hug:

Offline jecca

• Adult Cat
advice?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 22:48:14 PM »
hey,just looking for a bit advice realy,

iv just found out ,a local cat rescue in west lothian(i live in edinburgh city centre) is desperate for volenteers.
i would LOVE to do it,i would be in my element. BUT.

i am disabled,and have agoraphobia. yes i know i sound stupid and a total train wreck. :scared:

so im wondering do you think they wouldnt mind if i volenteer for them?obv i couldnt lift heavy things due to me having a balance problem(its part of my disabilty) but i could try my best,
and i think this could be my key to getting outside again and recovering from my agorphobia.

just wanted some thoughts on it, im not too sure if they would or not :scared: obv i wouldnt put any cats in danger or anything,i just would realy like this chance to rebiuld my life and do something good and rewarding.

Link to CatChat