Author Topic: I think I've made a mistake  (Read 2633 times)

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
Re: I think I've made a mistake
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 22:11:45 PM »
i hate to say it, but it sounds like one cat too many :(  Sometimes the addition of just one (particular) cat will completely upset the dynamic of the rest of the clan and in particular upset individuals who are susceptible like poor Bigears.  Might you ALL be happier if the new cat was rehomed somewhere else?  Multi-cat households are always more difficult and sometimes they just don't work at all.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 09:50:20 AM »
A torti, eh? They can be quite ummm....there's no word for it! ;)

I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time. If you already have five cats in an enclosed environment, though it might be a little bit too much for some of them to cope with. Especially the more nervous cats in the group. Sage sometimes takes time out from our new addition (incidentally, also a torti) by sleeping in my laundry basket!

Have you been in touch with a behaviouralist locallyto you to get advice?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 09:13:42 AM »
The whole situation is getting worse here, I have feliway plug ins upstairs and downstairs hoping to calm things down. Barney and Spangles seem to have excepted this addition to the house, Toffee is just being her normal shy self, Mollie the head of the clan has had a few spats with the new cat. My main problem is with Bigears who over the years has seen an increase in the population,  she has always been OK, slightly shy but  generally OK. But Yesterday I realised she wasn't indoors when I got up, I could not work out how she got out due to the cat proofing. Anyway I bought her back indoors and fed her, she refused to eat either her normal food or temptations which she loves. She just sat there shaking and shaking, I locked them all in while I went out came back 4 hrs later and Bigears is still shaking and still no food had been eaten.
I let them all out in the garden around 5ish, it the became apparent how she managed to get out, she litterally climbed the the brick wall of the house at an angle, knowing that by doing this she would miss the fencing and hopped into my neighbours garden. All night she has been out refusing to come back in, this morning I have fed them all, Bigears appeared on top of the fencing again refusing to come in, she seemed pleased to see me and I fed her on top of the fence, while she was eating I picked her up and bought her back down, but she wasn't having this and went straight back up the wall again.
This house has never smelt of cats, they've always been clean as far as grooming and toilets are concerned, now with this new addition it smells awful, who will not use the litter tray properly, and is generally upsetting the rest of the house, it has now been nearly 2 weeks since she arrived.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 22:50:45 PM »
it is possible to have two wombs, but very rare. i would be more suspicious that the vet didnt do it right in the first place.

I'm sure Queen Penguins cat Menue had a 'lady bit' missed in her op and had to be opened up again to remove the tiny bit they missed so perhaps it's something similar?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2008, 22:34:50 PM »
That's what I thought.  :shify:

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2008, 22:04:52 PM »
it is possible to have two wombs, but very rare. i would be more suspicious that the vet didnt do it right in the first place.
Please spay your cat

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2008, 18:09:57 PM »
Someone I bumped into in a shop purchasing things for their cat told me her cat had been spayed but still had kittens. She said that the cat had a second womb or something similiar.... :-: .....is it possible? Or common?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 18:10:18 PM by JackSpratt »

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2008, 17:11:43 PM »
Its possible they missed a bit when doing her and she still thinks like a normal entire cat. Give her time to settle but its something to consider.

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 16:27:20 PM »
I wonder if the yowing is just her hormones havent settled down yet? just a thought, hopefully if it is that, she'll be a bit quieter as time goes on.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 00:22:27 AM »
How old is she? and has she been spayed?

Hi, yes she has been spayed within the last month, it is possible that that she was the mother of these kittens http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,16915.msg291055.html#msg291055 and the woman who looked after her ths past month reckons that she is under a year old...

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2008, 23:55:15 PM »
How old is she? and has she been spayed?

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 23:51:39 PM »
Well when I came home  this evening thankfully there was no diarrhea, but it's the constant meowing 4 hrs solid so far this evening, I'm sure it's music to some of you cat lovers to listen to this meowing, but I do have a cut of point. I have tried playing with her and she is not really interested in this. She is not being bothered by any of the other cats, so she has the whole upstairs of the house to herself. I've decided to sleep on the sofa tonight just to try and get some decent sleep. Not sure how this will all pan out, I love cats but I think I may have found the exception,

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 19:04:06 PM »
Sounds abit too regular for stress, so a sample for testing would be handy. A restricted bland diet would help also, if they eat less then they poo less

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 16:55:00 PM »
This may help. Had to clean up our Noni last week. It's no fun. I hear unscented baby wipes and johnsons baby shampoo can come in useful  :hug:

http://www.downlandvets.co.uk/Pages/Clinical/Pages/CatDiarr.html

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 16:46:24 PM »
Yes, agree with the others, think a vet visit is necessary really, she needs something to settle her insides. I would imagine a lot of it is stress related due to change in environment, everything's all new and different for her, but she certainly needs checking.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »
Sounds like a vet visit is necessary, Barney - sorry. I know what you mean about doing without going there, it can be pretty pricey.

Good luck.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 08:13:41 AM »
Vet visit to be on the safe side, possibly worm her and put her on a bland diet to settle her tum down
Please spay your cat

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
I think I've made a mistake
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 08:12:16 AM »
Recently via this site I managed to get 2 dumped cats into a rescue, one was pregnant and had 3 kittens and is apparently doing OK... I agreed to take the other one back, on condition it was not meowing constantly and was generally in good health. The woman brought the cat Friday evening and it is now Monday morning, all I have done over this period of time is  clean up diarrhea from up the walls, carpets, my bed >:(, She has a larger than normal litter tray and if she uses it, completely misses it. !0 minutes ago I cleaned up her mess and just as I am about to leave for work she has messed all over the place again. Not only this she is still constantly meowing all night long, which is having an effect on my sleep and if I lose my sleep I just get ratty with everyone and everything. She is welcome to stay here but she does need to fit in with the rest of us. Her diet has not changed, she is not insured yet and it would not make much difference even if she was, so do you think this is stress related to her moving, I'm inclined to take her to my vets, but I can do without spending any more money there for a while....

Link to CatChat