Author Topic: Feeding healthy cats k/d food  (Read 1039 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Re: Feeding healthy cats k/d food
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 16:02:14 PM »
It sounds like her vet has scared her off buying regular food. I am going over there next week and told her my opinion of k/d food - I stressed it was a personal opinion and not CPs  :evillaugh: - I told her the tests were done on rats etc. Her cats are show cats - no idea what they are. Anyway, I will try to talk her round. She is going to quiz her vet as well. I will recommend vetUK for the k/d and will try to persuade her to give her healthy cats regular food. I don't know how advanced the CRF is and I'm not a vet but I had to say something.

She said she has also stopped feeding fresh chicken on vets advice  :tired:

I will have a word. I will also print out the Orijen "white paper" for her. In a way, I don't blame people for thinking vets are beyond question but they are  :evillaugh:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 16:08:29 PM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 15:54:32 PM »
she will be spending a fortune as well (poss why the vet is happy with her buy 4 lots!)  when bluto was on the struvite stone diet our vet bills were very high and there was only one of him

Offline Gillian Harvey

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Sam RIP
    • Scruffy Joe's Cat Grooming & Cat Sitting
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 15:52:51 PM »
So her vet reckons regular cat food is terrible, but thinks k/d is good?!!!! There isnt sufficent protein from appropriate sources for a cat with kidney failure in k/d, never mind for a healthy cat LOL! These are the first ingredients in k/d dry - Brewers rice, corn gluten meal, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), chicken by-product meal. I wouldnt feed it to any cat! 

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
Feeding healthy cats k/d food
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 15:38:46 PM »
I had a message on the line from a nice woman who said she had about 12 boxes of cat food for us. She said one of her cats has been diagnosed with CRF and the vet said to feed him k/d - she said it is difficult to separate the cats food so she is feeding all 4 on it - I told her I didn't think it was a good idea. She is going t ask her vet. She said her vet is very good and told her regular catfood is terrible and the jelly is far too rich for cats and they shouldn't eat it. I have referred her to Tanya's CRF site. I told her my view on k/d re muscle wastage etc but told her that it wasn't advice but recommended she didn't take what her vet told her without reading up on it and making her own mind up. Anyway, she has insisted she wants to give us the food.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Link to CatChat