Author Topic: Aborted vet vist - aaaargh!  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Aborted vet vist - aaaargh!
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 13:35:26 PM »
I cover the cage even in the car with just the end near to me uncovered cos all 4 of mine hate travelling. When in vets I keep them covered not that that blocks out the crying.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 07:44:06 AM »
Do you cover your carry basket?, usually that seems to keep a cat calm.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ann Clarke (Tabby cat)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Dylan 1999 (approx) - 26/12/09. Love you forever.
    • Gateshead CP
  • Slave to: Hobbes and Luna
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 23:27:22 PM »
Thanks for all the advice guys, I don't think our vet does home visits (we don't have very many vets in this area and they aren't exactly convenient). We do have a lady who runs a pet taxi service who we sometimes use for taking our rescue cats to the vet, she's a bit more expensive than a normal taxi but at least she would be ok with any noise and/or mess! I'm definitely going to get some feliway as it may help him while he's in the carrier and stop him getting so stressed out. Good idea about using Vet UK and will certainly use one of the links  :Luv: I'm leaving the carrier out in the kitchen at the moment so he can see it and get used to it again. Thanks again you always come up with some good ideas  :Luv:

Offline Kate

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 17:21:04 PM »
Spending a fortuen on taxis at the mo to get ET to vets.....
If only cats were more public transport friendly!!

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 16:22:46 PM »
Feliway is much cheaper from vet uk  ;) dont forget to click through a rescue link  ;D
Feliway spray smells very strongly of alcohol so spray the basket 15 mins before you go to let it evaporate, it comes with instructions.

If it were me id preferably book a home visit or go by taxi and just make sure theres lots of towels in his cage topped with vet bedding.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 16:18:02 PM »
You could try some rescue remedy, two small drops rubbed onto the outside of his ears.  Worked for Lukey when the 'freezer monsters' were terrorising him!

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 14:22:14 PM »
If you have got a nice vet you could ask them to do a home visit, it will cost more but be less stresful.
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 13:18:36 PM »
Thanks very much Ron, I did wonder about feliway but wasn't sure how to use it in this situation so I will give this a try out with him and see how he goes before I book another appointment.  :thanks:

Offline ronandcats

• Hero Cat
    • LostCatsBrighton
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 13:15:34 PM »
 Hi Ann try spraying above his head with a feliway before you put him in his basket I always use it if one of our strays get stressed out, you can buy it at your vets and it always seems to work for me, a friend of mine drove his cats all the way to Wales from Brighton and it worked on all five cats, wish you luck Ron.

• Super Cat
    • Gateshead CP
Aborted vet vist - aaaargh!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 12:49:33 PM »
Took today off so I could take Hobbes to the vet for his booster vac. Unfortunately Hobbes had other ideas  >:(. I got him in the carrier without too much trouble and although he wasn't happy I thought he would settle down as he was no bother last year when he went for neutering etc. Unfortunately as I went to the door to go outside he got very very stressed, culminating in him howling like a banshee and weeing all over the bottom of the carrier (thank goodness I put newspaper in it) as I stood outside with him. As we were getting the bus there was no way I could take him like that he was just getting too distressed so the vet visit was aborted  >:(

The trouble is he's an indoor cat so not used to going outside and he is a bit of a nervy cat, he's only used to me as I don't get many visitors and he's always been a bit highly strung. I wasn't expecting his reaction though, I've never had that before with any of my cats and he was fine last time. Of course since I brought him back into the house and he gave himself a good wash he is acting as if nothing has happened and butter wouldn't melt little  :censored: No idea how I'm now going to get him to the vet for his vacc, fortunately as he's indoor it's not quite so much of an issue. Any advice on how to help with something like this would be very much appreciated. Don't you just love them  :rofl:

Link to CatChat