Author Topic: Fitting cat flaps  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Fitting cat flaps
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 15:28:05 PM »
If you are going to do what Lynn has suggested, definatly prefit the flap so much easier than grovelling around on your knees  ;D

I had double glazed door, window only top half and I just cut a hole out but this door was so hard to do and took me forever!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
Re: Fitting cat flaps
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 14:48:43 PM »
easy

take out the glass and you could fit wood to either side of the original panel and fix in place with beading (and brown silicone if nec)  Of course you could pre cut the cat flap hole in the wood before putting it in.  You could use either thick ply or hardwood and stain to whatever colour to match the prexisting wood.

Offline Lily

• Adult Cat
  • Lily
Fitting cat flaps
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 14:35:06 PM »
I've bought a cat flap but it's a bit of a faff putting it where I want it, I'll try to explain.  I don't want to put it in the actual door as it would be quite a hassle to remove if/when I move, so I decided to fit it in the panel to the side of the door.  This panel is partially glazed (two single panes) and as the flap won't fit underneath the bottom pane I need to remove the bottom pane of glass and replace it with a wood panel.  Then the cat flap can fit easily into the wood and it's easy to replace the wood and get rid of the cat flap.  I have no idea where to start, my boyfriend took one look at it and said it needed a handyman.  So I phoned a few and it seems to be about £80 (2 hours work) to fit it excluding materials (wooden panel, edging and sealant).  Has anyone else attempted this?  I'd like it to have a nice finish and look like it has always been that way.  Plus is anyone in the Reading area who can recommend a handyman?

Link to CatChat