Author Topic: A question to all you rescue people  (Read 1823 times)

Offline LesleyW

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Many and varied
Re: A question to all you rescue people
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2008, 19:45:07 PM »
I always check for chips - my scanner is in my handbag at all times, hubby often picks up stray dogs when he is driving around - see, he's as mad as I am.
Even the smallest feline is a masterpiece (Leonardo da Vinci)

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2008, 19:43:09 PM »
 :-[ :-[ :-[ Shadow's chip is still registered to an address in New Zealand  :-[ :-[ :-[ I have yet to find the paperwork to sort it out - have to make that an Easter Break priority I think  :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2008, 16:44:34 PM »
always check.
It annoys me that european microchips are so difficult to trace - especially now that people are using pet passports!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2008, 08:43:10 AM »
Not changing the address when a family moves unfortunately is common place, we often have instances of it. and usually after much phoning around find the owner, one was even now in New Zealand. One of the most memorable was, when we had a cat handed in that was in a bad way that had been found on a main road in Chesterfield it was taken to our vets where it received medical attention and was found to be blind, although it was micro-chipped they could not trace the owner so they asked us if we would take it in. The telephone number and address were in Kent, I contacted the Cats Protection nearest to the given address and they went to the house and found out that the family have moved out over 3 years ago and no one knew where. The surname was unusual so I logged onto Directory enquiries for the Kent area, no luck, so I then looked in the London area and there were 2 families listed with that surname, I rang them both but no luck, I had of course looked in our local book, I then rang directory enquiries and asked if anyone with that surname was listed as ex-directory, wonderful there were another two families. I explained the position and asked if it were possible for them to ring the families and ask if they had come from Kent and had lost a cat, of course you know the answer. I then decided to ask the local paper if they could put an appeal in. A while later I received a call from one of the office workers, she actually knew a gentleman with that surname through his work with the children of Chernobyl and would ask him to ring me. Yes, it was his cat who had been missing for about a week, a few days before she (now we know her name is Sophie) had disappeared, Sophie had a stroke and the family thought she had gone away to die,  (I did explain that was an old wife's tale) Sophie was not blind the last time the family had seen her so perhaps she had been involved in some other sort of trauma.

Apparently there are only 8 families in the country with the surname, the owner still works in Essex  but lives in Chesterfield, he advised me that he thought the new vet (who was not our vet) would have automatically informed the micro chip company of his change of address.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 08:07:15 AM »
Actually, your post reminded me that one person I advised to get checked first did have a chip - owners hadnt updated the address details, but fortunately were tracked down, can't remember who ended up doing the work though.
Please spay your cat

Offline Canterbury_cats (Sharon)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Leo(Bridge babe 4/10) & Bella my darling Siamese
    • http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 08:05:43 AM »
We have several chip readers and people have gone out and checked for chips on strays. But our main success is when our advice it to take a stray to the vets to be scanned. So far we have had around 5 successes..

One even an uneutered tom!! One missing for 2yrs and one that was on meds and had been missing for 6months.. All those cats got their chip due to being rescue animals..(sorry except the full tom one). He was neutered the next day but two weeks later went AwOL...

We have taken in a few cats with chips but the details of owners could not be traced... Probably just dumped.

All cats go to the vets first so are checked at the vets before coming into our care.
Cannot save the world, but if everyone does something we can have a jolly good job trying too....

Canterbury & District Cats Protection
http://www.canterbury.cats.org.uk

Please use our VetUK link on the Home Page of our website.
We want your old used inkjets & mobile phones!

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008, 08:00:24 AM »
Yep, and like Ela, we ask people to take them to see if they have a home and therefore dont need to come into our care. I haven't had a stray with a chip yet, but dont give up hope!!
Please spay your cat

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 00:38:00 AM »
We scan all the cats that come into care, and some even before they come into care while they are on our list of cats waiting to come in. Others while they are on the list we ask the finder to take to a vets to ensure the cat is not chipped.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 23:35:13 PM »
I scan all that come into me, and up to date, I've only ever had one that was microchipped.

Offline barney

• Adult Cat
A question to all you rescue people
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 23:18:19 PM »
Hi, as much as I admire the good work you guys do, and as much as I like my vets and trust them implicitly, having recently taken in a stray it wasn't scanned for a chip. OK it may have been scanned later in the day, but i was there for over an hour and it didn't happen. As this site is mainly about rescue etc, I wonder do you all scan every single cat that comes into your possesion? Or is it just pot luck as to wether it is scanned or not?

Link to CatChat