Author Topic: New Auction software - Please post comments / questions / problems here  (Read 36734 times)

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
Re: New Auction software - Please post comments / questions / problems here
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 13:24:22 PM »
I'll have a play later. The girls might want to put their brother up for sale  :evillaugh: 

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 12:49:07 PM »
wouldn't let me click the blue box turned into a hand

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »
Chrome has updated to the latest version, but it still :evillaugh: won't let me bid, so maybe something in my settings in Chrome if no one else is having problems :-: The previous version was in my last post, but for some reason it pasted in microscopic font  It was [size=0px]Version 37.0.2062.124 m  [/size][/color]
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:50:35 AM by Jiji »

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 01:52:57 AM »
Forgot to add that I like having a pic of the item on the main listing.  :)   It might stop me from bidding on the wrong item in the final minutes when two things have similar names, but I doubt it.  :rofl:

Offline CarolM (Wendolene)

• Royal Cat
  • Korky: June 1992 - 19/10/2009
  • Slave to: Bunty and Biggles
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 01:48:06 AM »
So far so good.  ;D  I've entered items and had notifications of bids,  and I've bid on items and had notifications of being outbid.  At first I was a bit disappointed that you could only see the name of the last bidder and not all the bidders (like to size up the competition  :evillaugh: ) but when the notification of being outbid arrived it had a list of all bidders so no problem there.

I just :Luv2:  the buttons on the left hand side for Unviewed items, My bids and My listings.  They will save me so much time (and help stop me from bankrupting myself) when the auction gets into full swing.  I haven't tried the Search or Edit buttons yet but I will.

I'm finding having the comments separated from the bids a bit strange because the last bid and the last comment are not necessarily from the same person so if somebody has posted just a smiley it doesn't always make sense now that you can only see the last bid and not any that went before it.  My feeling is this might take a bit of the fun out of handbag exchanges  but I'll just have to get into one and see what happens.  :)  I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I've never been very successful at keeping track of 'my' items in the final frantic minutes of the auction and I wonder how I will cope with the new system and whether I'll be able to see them all on screen and cope with all the updating involved.  I notice there is a countdown clock so are you going to publicise when we're approaching the end of the test auction like you do with the real one so that we can see how it works and have a practice under pressure?  I think I might need more than one practice.  :innocent:

I notice that its possible to ignore what the auctioner asked for as a starting price and bid lower.  Yes I know twas ever thus but I just wondered if its possible to programme it such that the system won't accept a lower bid (says she who knows nothing whatsoever about how much work this might entail.... I'll get me coat  :sneakin:  )

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 00:00:02 AM »
Afraid this is just too complicated and tbh I cant see me bidding cos I dont want to have to play with my email settings cos can cause chaos and still havent been able tp get things back to how they were before my lappy was rebuilt in Jun. Messages on Purrs are the only way to stay in contct with people as lost all my email addys when lappy went down. I dont want my email or messages clogged up, I can do that all by myself  :innocent:

Ebay style auctions OK for ebay but wont do the job on Purrs I think. this software has taken all the fun away and no way will the auction keep running for two weeks with bids as the bids used to appear on the main pages of Purrs so one could see that action was happening. Now its seperated and one has to go into an auction button the that is a very concious thing to have to do and so easy to forget or just ignore.

Also dont think the last afternoon of bids will happen.

Sorry these comments will not please you but although the auction had become so much work and these is a way of reducing that, I personally dont think its going to bring two weeks of bids in and auction income will be seriously down.

Apart from all of that I still havent been able to successfully bid on anything

Sorry I can't see what is complicated? Can you explain please?

With using the normal threads like last year in the auction you would have got pm notifications with updated posts and that will have also been sent by email if you have that option set up.  I know some people used to turn notifications off during auction time to stop the e,ails coming through.  So no different there to this new system.

With our previous auctions they were all held in the fundraising  section in the forum and like any other thread you need to go into that thread to read it
So this way you need to click on auction button at top instead of scrolling down to click into the fundraising board.

If you mean that new items that are posted as threads last year could be seen in your unread posts link at top then no problem , if you want to be notified of all new items up for auction then you can select to be notified of all on the main page.  This way your unread post section does not get clogged up with many auction threads. People have not liked that before.

Sorry I don't understand about a conscious decision to click on the auction button ? People would still had to click on the auction topic on all our auctions before to go in there! What's the difference?

Sorry Gill please help me to understand why you can't bid on anything?

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2014, 23:36:17 PM »
Just tried twice more on 2 other items and neither worked, one said I had already bid or clicked twice.hadnt, next one said I had to bid higher and had!
#
I am not sure I am even seeing the first page right as doesnt have two sides.

An using IE9

Have also added item that was OK until I tried to bid on it and wont let me.

So far not impressed at all cos there too many things that we do in auction normally that cannot be done any more so on those alone will loose about £300.

Apart from it allowed me to add something thats all thats worked so far for me.

Also I cant see comments with bids seems that they are split up or is it I am just not seeing it right?

no more time to play any more.

Nope you can't bid on your own item lol read instructions lol

Great thanks so much - can ya explain what we can't do anymore please ?  Why will we loose 300 where did that come from?
If you mean the name a cat, gills pictures for bid etc then we can still do that in a normal thread in the auction section of the forum. No problem. :)

The comments are under the bid section. Yes  you need to scroll down to view them. It was the only way we could have a comment section in with the same page as the bids.  We had to rewrite the software to do this. You don't get comments on eBay lol
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 00:16:05 AM by Tan »

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2014, 23:31:20 PM »
No problem bidding or uploading items (Internet Explorer).

I'm getting one message for each bid on my items with an extra message if a comment is made with the bid.  I would have thought only one message, for the bid, would be enough otherwise everyone's personal message box is going to get clogged up, particularly when the bidding gets fierce :duel:.

I also got the "you have been outbid" message okay.

All the messages are also being automatically copied to my email address.

I'll have another play tomorrow :)

Great thanks hun  ;D

As we had to write software to join the bid action and the comment action on one page but we can't change the forums inbuilt notification system to send one notice with comment and bid instead of separately.
Best thing is if these are too much , to untick the notify option when you add a listing so no notifications are sent and then you need to look at your my  listing page to see the bids on your items.

Bidders will get a pm notice when outbid. Like ebay.  If you do not want this sent as an email as well best to turn off pm email notifications in your pm settings while the auction is on  :)

If you want to not get certain pm's from auction say the outbid messages, you can set up a rule in your pm settings to auto delete them
For example a rule of
Any message that contains the word outbid in the message subject box - delete.

X

Afraid this is just too complicated and tbh I cant see me bidding cos I dont want to have to play with my email settings cos can cause chaos and still havent been able tp get things back to how they were before my lappy was rebuilt in Jun. Messages on Purrs are the only way to stay in contct with people as lost all my email addys when lappy went down. I dont want my email or messages clogged up, I can do that all by myself  :innocent:

Ebay style auctions OK for ebay but wont do the job on Purrs I think. this software has taken all the fun away and no way will the auction keep running for two weeks with bids as the bids used to appear on the main pages of Purrs so one could see that action was happening. Now its seperated and one has to go into an auction button the that is a very concious thing to have to do and so easy to forget or just ignore.

Also dont think the last afternoon of bids will happen.

Sorry these comments will not please you but although the auction had become so much work and these is a way of reducing that, I personally dont think its going to bring two weeks of bids in and auction income will be seriously down.

Apart from all of that I still havent been able to successfully bid on anything

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2014, 23:23:15 PM »
Can you email me a screen print of the page after you click enter bid please. You should have a page with the amount box then underneath a normal comments box then a place bid & comment button.

So the amount comes up and you get a message saying you have already bid - this would only happen if you clicked the quick bid button twice  - if your browser is slow then ya need  to hang on for the page to reload with your bid on it.

The you have to bid higher message will only show if you didn't bid higher than the current bid. It may be like our normal forum threads if some one is also bidding on the same item at the same time and they got their bid in first just before you it will also say you need to bid higher message. That's no different to the normal forum where if there is a new post while you make a post it will tell you another post has been made.

Ie9 is old so will check it out tomorrow. What windows version have you got? 

Xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2014, 23:01:47 PM »
Just tried twice more on 2 other items and neither worked, one said I had already bid or clicked twice.hadnt, next one said I had to bid higher and had!
#
I am not sure I am even seeing the first page right as doesnt have two sides.

An using IE9

Have also added item that was OK until I tried to bid on it and wont let me.

So far not impressed at all cos there too many things that we do in auction normally that cannot be done any more so on those alone will loose about £300.

Apart from it allowed me to add something thats all thats worked so far for me.

Also I cant see comments with bids seems that they are split up or is it I am just not seeing it right?

no more time to play any more.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 23:17:43 PM by Gill (sneakiefeline) »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 22:54:57 PM »
How much were you bidding ?

When you bid by either clicking quick bid or  wrriting a comment and then click place bid & comment it automatically takes you back to the item
Then to go to the main auction page to see all the listings simply click back to auction
X

I bid 200.00 and wrote stuff

Ok thanks
Large bid amounts work so 200.00 would of been fine.
What bid button did you press after entering amount.

What browser are you using and version

Can you bid on anything . Try again for me :)

It's
Click on an item
Click enter bid button
Enter amount in decimal
Click quick bid button OR write in comment box and click place bid & comment button

That item page will reload with your bid on automatically

Then click back to auction to go back to main listing page

Ta x
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 22:59:57 PM by Tan »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 22:44:04 PM »

When you bid by either clicking quick bid or  wrriting a comment and then click place bid & comment it automatically takes you back to the item
Then to go to the main auction page to see all the listings simply click back to auction
X

I bid 200.00 and wrote stuff

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 21:54:28 PM »

I'm getting one message for each bid on my items with an extra message if a comment is made with the bid.  I would have thought only one message, for the bid, would be enough otherwise everyone's personal message box is going to get clogged up, particularly when the bidding gets fierce :duel:.

Great thanks hun  ;D

As we had to write software to join the bid action and the comment action on one page but we can't change the forums inbuilt notification system to send one notice with comment and bid instead of separately.
Best thing is if these are too much , to untick the notify option when you add a listing so no notifications are sent and then you need to look at your my  listing page to see the bids on your items.

Bidders will get a pm notice when outbid. Like ebay.  If you do not want this sent as an email as well best to turn off pm email notifications in your pm settings while the auction is on  :)

If you want to not get certain pm's from auction say the outbid messages, you can set up a rule in your pm settings to auto delete them
For example a rule of
Any message that contains the word outbid in the message subject box - delete.

X
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 22:46:59 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2014, 21:31:39 PM »
Should be in your chrome settings an option called about Google crome in there will be the version number
X

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2014, 21:22:43 PM »
Great thanks hun what version crome are you on?

Xx

No idea I'm afraid! How do I find out?

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2014, 21:13:53 PM »
Great thanks hun what version crome are you on?

Lol oooo yes thanks will let Steve know to change button spelling
Xx

Offline Lyn (Slugsta)

• Royal Cat
  • Slave to: Sky. Bridge babies Candy, Stripey, Chivers, Punky, Cleo and Alfie forever loved.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2014, 20:54:45 PM »
I'm in chrome and have been able to bid.

Did you know that the tab on the bar at the top of the page reads 'Aution 2014' rather than 'auction'?

Offline Frances

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Christopher, Eleanor and George; RIP James
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 20:53:46 PM »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 20:14:40 PM »
there are many different browsers and versions and also differnt versions of Windows's , Apple mac etc

If you are having any trouble bidding etc please post here
-What browser and version you are using
-what part is not working for you
-does it work using a different browser

We have tested on
Firefox
Internet explorer
Crome
Safari
Mobile Crome
But we don't have all the differnt versions peoole many have so any probs you are having we really want to know about :)

Thanks sooooo much.

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 19:39:10 PM »
I'm on mobile safari browser at the mo just bided 10000.00 bid  by entering that in the amount box, scrolled down selected a smiley in the comments box then clicked place bid & comment button

It took me straight back to that item page showing my bid and I just clicked on back to auction button to go back to see all the listings

Very quick

Is that what ys did ?
X

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 19:34:08 PM »

X

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 19:29:01 PM »
Well it didnt accept my very high bid on Bunty and said I had to put a higher bid in........well I had it was double and in right format with comment.

Then couldnr get easily back to item and has taken for ages and had to go back to auction and start all over, well I didnt too much work.

Dont know what I did wrong  :(

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Will have a play with this later this week but have a question, Can it shuffle the items at night and can a total  be done every few days?

OK two questions!

:rofl: :rofl:
lol gilly I knew ya were going to ask that :)
Yes  auction staff can select any individual item or tick any multiple items and move them up down the list
They have an additional tick box selection on the left hand side of the listing main page
The list is in lowest bid and new items at top sort order so any new items are at top.

Yes admin has a running total of current bids on the main page at any time. No adding up needed, no excel files needed anymore :)

Xx
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 19:46:40 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Hi Jen thanks  it's important cause someone else can using the same Crome so ta hun

I just used Crome latest version 38.02 and could bid as admin and a normal member
If ha can check your version for me and also what happens when you can't bid? Any error messages ?
Does the amount box appears if you click enter bid button on a listing
Xx

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
Chrome is
Version 37.0.2062.124 m It doesn't seem to want to upgrade  :Crazy: so not sure if it is the latest version. I am more than happy to use Waterfox as I prefer it to Chrome if it is just mine that is playing up  :) The most important thing is I can bid! :chicken:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:34:20 AM by Jiji »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Will have a play with this later this week but have a question, Can it shuffle the items at night and can a total  be done every few days?

OK two questions!

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Hi Hun

what crome version is it?

And ya can with firefox Yes ? :)

:hug: :hug:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
Looks like my money is safe, I can't bid on the items  :naughty:
Edit to say I can't use Chrome to bid, but can using Waterfox

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 18:11:16 PM by Jiji »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Is there anyone who cannot see the amount box appear with the comments section underneath when you click "enter Bid" blue button in a listing page if using windows 8 with Internet explorer 11?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 17:14:54 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
Ok Hunnies

I think we got it all  but we soooooo need ya all testing :wish: the new Auction software for us so we have no probs in the big 2 weeks   :cuddle: :thanks:

Please could ya have a go at listing items for auction and bidding on other members items. This is just a test so anything can go up :)

The full instructions how to list an auction item and bid can be seen here - http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,45221.0.html or under the instructions tab in the auction section.

Basic instructions are
To List on item for Auction
1 -Click on Add Auction Listing on the main auction page.
2 - Enter your Item title in the top box.
3 - Enter the item description in the larger Box.
4 – Untick or leave ticked the “Notify” option
5 – Add up to 3 images in Jpeg format.
6 – Click Save Listing button at bottom.

To Bid
1 – Click on to the listing title or picture.
2 – Click the blue Enter Bid button.
3 – Enter your bid amount.
4 –  To place your bid only without leaving a comment, Click Quick Bid button
OR
    - To bid and also add a comment, Scroll down to the comments box, enter your comment then Click Place Bid & Comment Button.

Please write any ideas, probs or any comments about the new software here. All feedback is really appreciated  :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 13:39:46 PM by Tan »

Offline Tan

• Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
New Auction software - Please post comments / questions / problems here
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 17:46:55 PM »
Once the new auction software in ready, we would very much appreciate ya having a go at a test run so we can fix any um errors or queries before the big day on 16th Nov.

Please use this thread to post anything whatso ever about the auction software

ie if you find something not working, If you don't like something, if you like something  :evillaugh:  as we will have a chance to change things of we can beforehand :)

« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 13:24:45 PM by Tan »

Link to CatChat