Author Topic: Need advice on kitten purchase.  (Read 64791 times)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
Re: Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #115 on: January 10, 2013, 22:18:49 PM »
and here's all Chuckles' cyber aunties waiting on here to dish out loads of advice and it looks as if you and her aren't going to need any of it  :sneakin:

Oh I think I will.  I'll start now. 

Is she supposed to be drooling like she is?  when she shakes her head its flying everywhere!  its not like thick dog drool, more like small water droplets.  Its not like its pouring out or anything but I don't remember the ex's cats doing it...

I'm not overly worried or anything but is it normal ?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2013, 21:58:49 PM »
and here's all Chuckles' cyber aunties waiting on here to dish out loads of advice and it looks as if you and her aren't going to need any of it  :sneakin:
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 21:41:42 PM »
I don't think the move has bothered her at all.  She seems really relaxed.  Think I'll let her out of the spare room tomorrow for a proper look round  ;D

I was well impressed earlier, her first proper feed, she got a massive chunk of cat food out of the dish and dropped it right on the carpet... then ate it from there, jelly everywhere!  :shocked:

Yeah, I have a feeling she will be on the bed in no time  :evillaugh:

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 21:05:59 PM »
This is the first thread I came to find when I logged on this evening, and I'm delighted that there are pics already  :wow: Just like everyone else says, it's amazing how settled she looks already, maybe she was originally very loved before she was found straying.  I don't think it'll be long before you wake up to find her sitting on your head  :naughty:

Offline Jiji

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Algernon & Noodle
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 18:17:11 PM »
She's gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: and seems to have her paws well and truly under the table already  :)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2013, 18:12:25 PM »
She's gorgeous  :Luv: and clearly has made herself at home!

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2013, 16:08:31 PM »
She is gorgeous, and settling so well, and loving the one to one attention from you.

Black/black and white definately the best colour.

Have a good evening with her.

Just remember there is no such thing as too many photos. We won't get bored of them.

Nicky

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2013, 15:53:19 PM »
 :1st place:

On Chuckle's arrival. She's gorgeous and has clearly adopted you rather than the other way round  :Luv:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2013, 15:20:40 PM »
She looks very at home Stevo  :) :)

What a pretty girl she is  :Luv2:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2013, 14:50:10 PM »
I've had a better look at the photos. Can I have Luna back please?  :rofl: :rofl: they look like mirror images.

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2013, 14:36:44 PM »
Just got my first lick !!!!!!   :wow: :wow: :wow:

I think she likes the bed, was in it before, on her back with her head over the side resting on my leg.  Obviously loving the attention  ;D

Do you know anything about her background?

Only that she was a stray, the woman at the rescue said she was quite scared when she first came in.  She looks ok now though!  ;)  And that people didn't seem to want cats that looked like her!  >:(

Is that tank warm purrchance  :evillaugh:

28C all year round.  Wish the rest of the house was!!

All this excitement has worn me out, gonna have a snooze on the settee for  half an hour :)

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2013, 14:03:15 PM »
She's gorgeous, I love black & whites - I had one for nearly 13 years. Like everyone says, she looks very relaxed already.

Do you know anything about her background?
You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2013, 13:58:27 PM »

At the risk of sounding pervy, I can't wait to see some cuddling action.  :wow: :evillaugh:  But let me make it clear that it's not necessary for full body shots - legs and laps are the norm.  :rofl: :rofl:

Ah yes Sheryl - on the bed.  Hear that Stevo?  On the bed.  :)  Hope you've got your cat throw ready to drape artfully over the duvet  :Luv:

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #102 on: January 10, 2013, 13:56:43 PM »
She is adorable and looks so relaxed already - I bet she will be snuggled up on your bed with you tonight - LOL
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #101 on: January 10, 2013, 13:55:46 PM »
Stevo she's lovely, I'm not surprised you fell for her with her bobby socks and a French Polish on her front paws  :briggin: and you've got her right where she wants you   :briggin:

My favourite colour combination as well  :Luv2: . She could be my Theo's twin sister. He's stunningly handsome too (if I do say so myself)  :Luv2:

Belly rubs on a first date?  :wow: My goodness this has got Love Story written all over it.  :shy:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
  • Slave to: Chelsea (March 1994 ~ March 2012 - Rest in peace my darling), Luna and Cleo plus Simba the Ginga
« Reply #100 on: January 10, 2013, 13:55:29 PM »
Well doesn't she look right at home! Looks like she has picked herself the right home.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #99 on: January 10, 2013, 13:38:55 PM »
Chuckles is lovely and looks right at home already  ;D

Is that tank warm purrchance  :evillaugh:

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #98 on: January 10, 2013, 13:35:54 PM »
I got home in time :)

She's beautiful and doesn't look at all shy or nervous - can see she will make herself at home in no time and I bet won't waste any time in being confined to one room!

Congrats :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #97 on: January 10, 2013, 13:34:44 PM »

Oh wow - just look at her!!   :wow: :wow:  Does she look relaxed or what? 

Stevo, she's gorgeous.  And she looks right at home already.  Can't believe how chilled she seems.   ;D
I bet you're chuffed to bits - and she obviously trusts you, as she was wrapping herself about your legs in no time  :)  You'd never have got a belly rub if she didn't feel comfortable with you. 
Chuckles has well and truly landed on her feet.  Am so pleased for you both.  Glad the paperwork was sorted out eventually and didn't hold you up too much.

Keep us up to speed with progress. 

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #96 on: January 10, 2013, 13:29:38 PM »
Ok, got to the rescue and something was wrong straight away, apparently she hadn't been vet checked but some one had "passed" her???  Some woman who was working there was far from impressed.  Anyway I had to wait around for 20 mins or so while they sorted some paperwork out.  I wasn't too bothered cos it was nice and warm in there   :)  Anyway they eventually carried Chuckles out and we popped her in the carrier and off we went  :wow:

The poor little mite cried in the car all the way home.  The spare room is a bit sparse to say the least so I put an old picture against the drier (think you can see it in one of the pics) for her to hide under if she needed too, I left the carrier out too.

I opened the carrier door and she walked straight out, come over to me and started rubbing up against me.  With in 5 mins she was purring and even rolled over and let me scratch her belly   :Luv:

I've been sat with her for the last hour while she was having a mooch round.  Tried to give her a piece of chicken, she wouldn't take it from my hand but had no problems scoffing it out the bowl!  :evillaugh:

Shes been checking out the snake tank, found the litter tray and I left her lounging around in her bed :wow:

Here's some pics I know you have been waiting for !  I'll try to get some better ones shortly

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #95 on: January 10, 2013, 13:18:39 PM »
I am sure Sheila is right  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #94 on: January 10, 2013, 13:00:42 PM »

It's like being a kid and asking your Mum and Dad if Santy Paws has been yet  :evillaugh:  Am hoping you're right Sheila.  :)

:waiting:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2013, 12:54:30 PM »
I'm guessing this is good news  :shify: the fact he's too busy to post suggest he's either:

Upside down under the bed with her  :evillaugh: ; or

Slaving it up with goodness knows how many months of neglect to cast aside   :cat rub: :catlove2: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2013, 10:58:34 AM »
Good luck

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2013, 10:54:58 AM »

Way to go Stevo - lotsa luck, keep calm, and enjoy!   :wow: :hug:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2013, 10:52:01 AM »
Ok, it's time to go get her.

I'm actually a bit nervous, worse than a first date this...   :Crazy:

Back shortly  :wow:

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #89 on: January 10, 2013, 08:30:59 AM »
Today's the day Stevo  :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Really looking forward to seeing piccies of Chuckles  :) :) :)
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:26 AM »

Today's the day!   Stevo and Chuckles are moving in together  ;D ;D   :narna dance: :yayyy: :cuddle:

Sounds like you have everything ready and more!  ;D    Cant wait to hear more when you've got her home and settled her in.   :) :hug:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2013, 06:54:26 AM »
It's here! Thursday is here  :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2013, 22:48:37 PM »
Wow aren't you all organised! I've missed all the action today... I must remember to get on tomorrow day time and check for updates since its the big day! Lol!

Just to add in that if you are worried about cat hair on the bed.. I did pick up a habit from an ex boys - an old towel at the end of the bed. He used to put an old towel on his couch and bed and initially I thought he was a bit anal retentive about cat hair... However I ended up doing the same and it makes a significant difference to cat hair. More importantly you can just whip it off and cat hair gone! Surprisingly my two seem to have taken right to the towels too although I do sometimes get woken by a big main coon paw being thrust into my mouth when Rio decides my pillow is warmer!

Good luck tomorrow..., and stone roses style hat? Lol hope you don't wear the matching flares with it these days ;-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
« Reply #85 on: January 09, 2013, 22:14:50 PM »
I've propped the door to our tray open on a door frame, my lot are new to covered trays so I'm playing it slow - they still prefer the uncovered trays though.  :shify:

Two inches is generous, she'll be paddling around in it all night. If she's anything like my girls she'll enjoy digging down to Oz.  ;D

Asthma? That Dyson Pet vacuum cleaner your Mum wants to buy you will come in handy.  :sneaky:

:welcome: Sally Snake  :Luv2:

I collar mine for a few weeks until they find their way around the neighbourhood, then remove the collars. There's a good reason to pop her name and your phone number on an engraved tag to fit to your snap collar (e-bay these: cheap and very reassuring).

The elastic ones aren't as safe as the snap ones, but some owners on here have found their snap collars to be faulty, so if yours doesn't release with a sharp pull, take it back and change it.  :-:

This is thrilling, Stevo, I'm greener than a green thing on greenday.  ;D

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #84 on: January 09, 2013, 21:47:25 PM »
I left the door off of our 2 trays, wasn't  long before I put them on.

I never managed to keep collars on mine, they stay on for about 10 minutes!

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #83 on: January 09, 2013, 21:18:03 PM »
Well, that's the spare room sorted out.  Took a touch longer than anticipated, must of kicked up a bit of (lot of) dust - sneezing fit, now asthma's playing up, can hardly breath lol  :doh:

It's all set now though  :wow:

I picked up a collar today, well the sales assistant did her job and sold me one.  I thought they were supposed to be elastic ?  even though is says elastic on the cardboard bit - its not.  It also has a "safety buckle" on it, it don't seem very safe to me.  Recon you could hang me with it  >:(

Oh, and how much litter you supposed to put in the litter tray?  Lol, probably actually says on the bag how much to use - I'm a bloke, I don't read instructions.  Was a 10 litre bag, recon I've poured about 7 - 8 litres into the litter tray, lol, its about 2 inch deep ...  its dirt cheap anyway.  Can always get some more.

The door on the litter tray folds back and opens the whole front up.  Recon that will be enough or play safe and remove the lid ?

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #82 on: January 09, 2013, 19:29:54 PM »
fabulous - we await the arrival of Princess Chuckles with baited breath

I would advise removing the flap from the litter tray though, as she may well not have encountered one like that before - you may have to take off the top too at first, to make sure she knows there is litter in there

it would help perhaps if the rescue would let you take away a bit of the litter from the tray she has been using there, to add to the new tray, so she recognises the smell
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2013, 18:27:37 PM »
floor cleaning machine thingie

I can only think you mean the bag behind and too the left, lol, that's my archery stuff, its the arrow tube sticking out the top     The thing behind is an old CD stand with a Stone Roses bucket hat perched on the top.

Yes, that was it  :evillaugh: ;D  I did wonder - couldnt decide if it was rug doctor/Karcher cross or a blueprint R2D2   :shy:

I have an archery weekend to take sometime this summer - it was a present for me recent "significant" birthday  :wow:  Am looking forward to it, as it's something I've always wanted to try (no doubt I'll be pants at it, but should still be a good day out.)

Well, hello Sally the corn snake - hope you're ready for your new house companion.   :)  My sis used to have snakes - one was a corn snake and the other two were (I think) rat snakes.

Just one more sleep!  :wow:  Wonder what Chuckles is thinking of tonight.....?  :)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2013, 17:57:42 PM »
The scratching post was from Pets at Home, was £30. Its got a furry top and everything  :wow:

My snake is a corn snake, had her about 10 years now.  I'm going to have to buy a bit of a stand to put her tank on so kitty can't look directly in the tank.  They are going to be sharing a room, to begin with.  Sally rarely moves from under her bit of wood anyway, she's well hidden.  Might even move her into my bedroom and put the tank on top of my drawers out of the way.

floor cleaning machine thingie

:-:  I can only think you mean the bag behind and too the left, lol, that's my archery stuff, its the arrow tube sticking out the top  :evillaugh:   The thing behind is an old CD stand with a Stone Roses bucket hat perched on the top.

Gonna go sort the room out when the house has warmed up a bit, usually at work now and cant be bothered messing with the timer settings on the central heating - if I just turn it on I'll only forget to turn it off before I go to bed.  Besides its nice and warm here on the settee under my blanket and the room won't take long to sort. 

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2013, 17:47:41 PM »
 :yesss: :pic:  I feel so excited, and it's not even me getting a kitty.   :wow:

Offline LouiseJ

• Auction Staff
  • Super Cat
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2013, 17:40:55 PM »
Whoo hoo!!
I can't wait to see the pictures.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2013, 17:23:59 PM »
Steve that scratching post is brilliant can I ask where you got it as our rather large one similar to that had been clawed to death

I am sure that you and Chuckles will have a blast tomorrow and she will have you wrapped round her paw in no time :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2013, 17:16:47 PM »
Well done on only spending £135.lol 

If Chuckles doesn't use the bed they come in handy of you are playing on the floor with the cats, somewhere to rest your weary head, I fell asleep with my head in a donut bed with Wordy tucked up against me, when we first brought him home.lol

So exciting, I'm working tomorrow so hope for some photos when I get in.

If you haven't already get her room set up for her, litter tray etc. So you can put her in there and let her settle.

Nicky

Link to CatChat