Author Topic: Need advice on kitten purchase.  (Read 64791 times)

Offline girlinleeds

• Senior Cat
Re: Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2013, 17:52:07 PM »
So glad shes settled in well, our small cat manages to either take up the entire sofa or squeeze into a tiny spot so shes cumfy and your not and i dont like to desturb her by moving

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #194 on: January 17, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
The rather gorgeous ginger fella is Lynx he is handlable and drools all over you - he joins me before sleep time for his cuddles and then its like the changing of the guard as my indoor only lot go down stairs and my indoor/outdoor crew and the Boris join me in bed for the night - I have the bed on timeshare with the cats :rofl:
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Sue P (Paddysmum)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Paddy's Mum (Ginger Imposter) [Nov 90- April '11]
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #193 on: January 17, 2013, 06:57:55 AM »

Liz - your piccie looks like a "Where's Wally" pic.  :evillaugh:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Slave to: Moray & Malt + my beautiful lost babies - Barley, Mac, Ross, and Tinks RIP babies.
« Reply #192 on: January 17, 2013, 06:56:47 AM »
 :evillaugh:  Stevo, one thing you must understand about this cat adoption malarkey - you don't have a house any more.  Tis not your house, your spot on the settee, your bed - they're hers.  She just lets you use them when it suits.  :Luv:  I think you're adapting well to your new status.  ;D

That definitely looked like a plotting for your bagels" face to me.  ;) :evillaugh:

is good though in all seriousness that she wasn't phazed whilst you were out at work.  Again, I think it shows the measure of trust and bonding you've built up in just the space of a week.   :)  It's like earning your cub badges all over again....  :evillaugh:

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #191 on: January 17, 2013, 04:58:13 AM »
 :hug:  Your new pet looks like its settling in for many years to come :shify:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2013, 02:25:31 AM »
Chuckles has moved in totally and completely and just look at her expression  ;D ;D

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2013, 23:20:55 PM »
Holey Moley Liz !!!  :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

That ginger one in the middle looks a right character  :wow:

:rofl:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 23:36:49 PM by stevo »

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2013, 23:07:28 PM »
Steve if you think you have problems with hair this is a bunch of my ferals on our Super Kingsize bed :rofl:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2013, 22:24:16 PM »
she seems totally clueless about doors.

I think the saying is "You don't have a dog and bark yourself"   :rofl:  She has only been with you a few days and already she has opening doors, moving up the sofa and sharing your bed! She knows exactly what she is doing.  You have been well and truly adopted  ;)

Oh, when I got home tonight I was perched on the settee waiting for the computer downstairs to boot up so I could see if the keyboard had fixed itself and she only jumps up, climbs right over me and curls up on MY spot on the settee... MY spot!!  Unbelievable, she's not even been here a week and she thinks she owns the place!   8)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2013, 22:04:19 PM »
she seems totally clueless about doors.

I think the saying is "You don't have a dog and bark yourself"   :rofl:  She has only been with you a few days and already she has opening doors, moving up the sofa and sharing your bed! She knows exactly what she is doing.  You have been well and truly adopted  ;)
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2013, 21:44:44 PM »
I use fleece type blankets on our bed and I do have the odd 10 or more and manage with cream and white bedding and not to much cat haor on said bedding :shocked: :rofl:

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2013, 21:24:00 PM »
I used to have nice white bedding. Then I got a boyfriend, cats and navy blue sheets. I have to lint roller my pillow every night. Charlie likes to sleep up against it.

Pleased she was ok today.

Offline sheryl

• Super Cat
  • Im a Crazy CatWoman
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2013, 21:04:02 PM »
Aww she is adorable - I can highly recommend the Amaze Brush for removing cat fur (got mine off Ebay) or a nice thick fleece blanket for her to lay on and the fur will stick to that and not the Duvet x
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner?  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2013, 19:58:58 PM »
Well, I'm home.  Chuckles seems fine, she came over to say hello when I got in.  Got a quick meow and lots of rubbing herself up against my legs.  We have both had our tea and are now relaxing on the bed watching bear grylls.  Dam computer keyboard downstairs is totally shot, dug a spare one out at work today but forgot to pick it up before I left, hence why we're upstairs on the laptop.  Plus its warmer  :)

I think I know where she's been hanging out today, there is a mass of cat hair on the bed where I sleep....... don't even get me started on the amount of hair on top of the duvet where she sleeps at night, hang on I'll try to get a pic  :briggin:

Sorted.  If you look closely she seems to have brung crumbs onto the bed too, it must be Chuckles as I never get crumbs in, on or around the bed....   :shify:

I mean, just look at the innocence in the face on the pic below  :evillaugh:

Think I'm definitely going to go with the towel on the bed suggestion that someone made a while back.  My beds more black than cream now!

You could also get her a treatball
Pfff, I've got her one, she won't touch it.  The treats are a bit weak though...

Ultimately, of course, you'll get a companion for her, won't you?  ;)
Maybe...  maybe  :)  Give me a month or two to see how I get on with this one  ;D

She's totally settling in now, she's strutting round like she owns the place...  She was even giving my bagels I had for tea a shifty look, I recon left unattended they would have been... mauled  :shify:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2013, 19:43:21 PM »
hi Stevo - how s it gone, first day back?  Hope all is well and you both snuggled down together for the evening.

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2013, 14:06:25 PM »
I was going to suggest that to Stevo  :shify: but I thought it might be best to give it a week or two  :evillaugh:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

Offline Greenlaner

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Billy
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2013, 12:42:16 PM »
  Cats do tend to have built in warmth with their coats. My Billy has several cosy places and he likes listening to radio 4 extra when I am out.  :innocent: :shify:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:43:23 PM by Greenlaner »

Offline jezebel

• Super Cat
  • Slave to: Vincent, RIP beautiful Drum & Bass sisters and the lovely Bruce
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2013, 11:57:13 AM »
This suggestion is a bit late, cos you've already gone to work, but you could leave the radio on for her. Some cats like this.

You could also get her a treatball - a plastic ball you fill with treats, it has a little hole in it so the treats fall out when the ball is pushed around. I have one for Drum and it keeps her amused for ages (and amuses me again in the evening when I have to find out where she's left it!).

You can't change the world by rescuing one cat, but for that one cat you are changing its world.

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »
Nor us, and The Munchkin is fine. He spends most of the day on the bed or on his paddy bear throw.

I get home from work first and he's always in the same place- on the back of the sofa looking out of the front window where he can see me coming down the street. It's very sweet  :Luv2:

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2013, 07:55:22 AM »
she'll be fine and will probably sleep all day then be ready for some attention when you get home.  I don't leave the heating on during the day either.  It's on before I go to work then I leave a heat pad and a hot water bottle on the bed but I only really do that for Jaffa because he's an elderly cat and has quite thin fur.  I wouldn't do it for Mosi because he has a fluffy fur coat to keep him warm.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »

Thinking about you today Stevo.   :hug:  I know it'll be hard to go back to work, leaving Chuckles on her own.  I feel like that about Ross when we go on holiday, even though I know he's in excellent hands.  I think it's a natural part of caring  :hug:  Sending a chin tickle for Chuckles, and hoping all goes smoothly for you both. 

Offline nickynoo93

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Charlie, Poppy, Wordy and Ollie. RIP Bridge Baby Harry. x
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2013, 06:04:39 AM »
She will be fine. They always find somewhere warm to get to.

Charlie has a piece of Vet bed in the drawer under the bed.

At the moment we have the heating so that it comes on if it reaches 14c. Toasty for when we get home as well.

Good luck.

Nicky

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #173 on: January 15, 2013, 23:35:15 PM »
if you're worried about her being cold, you could fold your duvet in half so she can get inside - I daresay a bit more fur won't make much difference now, and might even add a tog or two
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline fluffybunny

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Geoffrey and Milly
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2013, 22:56:27 PM »
don't like the thought of her being in all day on her own  :'(

I bet she'll be asleep for most of the day  :rofl:  :rofl:

Personally I would put the stringy toys away in a drawer and only get them out when you're there, I always worry that they would somehow get themselves tangled up and choke with those sorts of toys unsupervised. Do let us know whether she comes rushing to greet you when you get home or whether you get one eye open and a look of "oh, it's you"  :rofl:

Offline sheilarose

• Royal Cat
  • Sly da sly - how do I love thee!
    • Cats Protection Chelmsford
  • Slave to: Sly, Theo, Ziggy, Basil, Fuzz & Dot and Rosie the Rescue dog
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2013, 21:09:52 PM »
Have a nice few minutes playtime with her in the morning and she'll be fine to sleep all day. I'm so amused that she brings her toys to you for playtime already - such a show of affection and trust is truly rare in such a short time  :wow:

Our heating is off through the day and night, only coming on for a couple of hours in the morning and evening, then the sitting room fire keeps us toasty in the evenings. All the cats just find their warmest spots and stay there and there's a scrum for the bed, I usually wake with at least 3 cats sprawled out on my side (strangely they don't bother OH at all  :shify: ).

Pursley has a self heating mat she guards viciously so this might be worth thinking about.  ;)

Be sure and give her plenty of TLC the moment you walk through the door so she knows she hasn't been abandoned (again  :( ) This should become a regular thing so she gets the hang of you leaving in the morning and coming home with TLC in bundles each evening. She should settle easily once she's confident her new Dad is indeed coming home to her.  :)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2013, 18:26:06 PM »

You're bound to worry Stevo   :hug: :hug:   

As long as her things and your things are around her, she should be reasonably settled.  As for being cold, she should be fine - she has her snuggley bed you bought her, and it's generally warmer in the house than outside, especially with all the snow around about. 

I love the photo of her on your bed - with her little duck on a string.   :wow:  Even adult cats enjoy a good play, and that's clearly her favourite toy if she's brought it to you twice.   :Luv:

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2013, 18:08:04 PM »
she is wearing fur, she will be fine!

You'd think so, but I think most of the fur is now on my bed  :shify:

In fact she's putting more fur on it now, I spilt some lemonade over my computer keyboard earlier and it stopped working and is currently drying out on the radiator downstairs so me and Chuckles are relaxing on the bed using the laptop and watching some tele.

Does she like your guitar playing?
loves it!! ....  :rofl:  I'm not very good  ;D

Hope she'll be ok tomorrow, don't like the thought of her being in all day on her own  :'(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2013, 15:15:45 PM »
she is wearing fur, she will be fine!

Offline souffle

• Super Cat
  • muvver to Callie & Monty RIP
    • custardhamstery.weebly.com
  • Slave to: Callie and Monty
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2013, 15:14:44 PM »
aww she looks well comfy there -
Our cats stay in without any heating when we are out. They are fine with just the times we have it on and the house will stay warm enough anyway. They have nice fur coats!
Does she like your guitar playing?
I bet you will be a cat bore when you get back to work  ;) Payback for all the folks who are kid bores eh!
souf by Lynne Blair, on Flickr

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2013, 15:14:27 PM »
I have heating on 24/7 and doesnt use any more oil cos the house is very cold and the cost of switching on again and the total reheating of the house is just as much.

I dont like the idea of cats going from freezing cold to hot again and vice versa, mind you I am here all the time and hate the cold.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2013, 12:14:46 PM »
I put my heating on a timer on low on and off throughout the day....is  that a possibility?

Chuckles looks like she's always lived with you. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Sootyca

• Super Cat
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
Mine stay in the house on their own with no heating on - they have furry coats and curl up on a bed and sleep the day away.  The only concession I would make if it was a really cold house would be a heat reflective bed (self heating).  I personally won't leave an electric blanket on - too many fire horror stories for my liking.

She looks well settled. :)

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #163 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:54 AM »
I use microwave heatpads in the oldies beds and leave the electric blankets on on our bed and in the cat room and they survive just fine, also good are the self heating beds as once theya re warm they retain the cats body heat - my ferals outside have them and the micro heatpads and we have temps down to minus 15

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #162 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
Tried to put an update post on yesterday but kept getting side tracked  :innocent:

Chuckles has settled in fine :)

Woke up yesterday morning to find her curled up on my duvet, I popped to the toilet and went back to bed.  Whilst trying to get back to sleep Chuckles get up and goes downstairs.  About 5 minutes later I hears her meowing and yowling, outside my bedroom door - making a right racket, I thought something was wrong so I went to check.  She's only dragged a duck on a string from the computer desk downstairs all the way upstairs and is sat there with it at her feet.

Same deal this morning but she tried to drag the toy into the room but the stick got stuck on a shoe that I'm using to keep a gap in the door. 

You can see the toy in the pic I've just taken.  We're just kicking back on the couch watching Jeremy Kyle - I think she's a fan  :wow:

It's back to work tomorrow, hope she's going to be ok being left on her own all day  :'(

Will she be ok in a cold house during the day? I can't keep the central heating on all day everyday, it will cost a fortune.  I'm thinking it will be alright as the cats outside seem fine in the snow.

I wouldn't want the little mite to be cold.

Oh yeah, check out her funky new collar too  ;D

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2013, 07:29:27 AM »

What news on the Stevo and Chuckles thread?  What have you both been up to, and how are you getting on?  :)

Offline Tigerlily (Allison)

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Toby
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2013, 08:00:26 AM »
Oh wow!  :wow: :wow: Love the new pics, especially the one of her sprawled on the sofa  :Luv: :Luv:

My Toby always dribbles when I make a fuss of him. And just for good measure he usually shakes his head so I get a good splattering of it  :rofl: :rofl:
http://www.cat-rescue1.co.uk/

RIP Simba ~ 16/04/02
RIP Tiger ~ 25/08/02
RIP Lily ~ 03/04/10
RIP Molly ~ 04/11/16
Always in my thoughts, forever in my heart

If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2013, 07:26:00 AM »

See how much richer your life's become in the space of two weeks  ;D :hug: :hug:  To say nothing of Chuckles' life, which is now richer by one sofa, 1 big bed, one cat bed and one devoted Dad.  :Luv:

(Mind you - Keith Lemon.  :-:  Really??  :evillaugh:)

Offline stevo

• Adult Cat
« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2013, 21:10:18 PM »
Chuckles went down a storm today when my sister and bro in law popped round to see her.  My sis got belly rubs within two minutes of being in the house.   She was a proper little attention seeker  :sneaky:

I fell asleep on the settee earlier and woke up to find Chuckles sprawled out next to me, was dead sweet  :Luv:  She's snuggled up on the bed watching tele with me now - think she's enjoying Keith Lemon :)

Oh, and good call on whoever said to flush the litter - very good call.

Offline caledonia

• Hero Cat
  • RIP My beloved boys Bertie, Oscar & Edgar
  • Slave to: Nina & Rio
Need advice on kitten purchase.
« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2013, 20:29:57 PM »
Yep she will know how the doors work.. She just doesn't want you to know that yet! :-)
Love from Rachael & fur babies Nina & Rio

RIP Bertie 23/12/2007
RIP Oscar 31/08/2011
RIP Edgar 09/11/2011

Always loved, never forgotten

Offline Skiddaw

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: The Munchkin and formerly to dear, departed Uncle M
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2013, 12:39:25 PM »

[/quote]

That's what she wants you to think!  Why should she waste energy and demean herself by opening a door when she has staff to do it.  Both of mine have the "clueless" look at doors until there either no-one around to open them or no-one will get up then they can magically manage to get through them.
[/quote]

:rofl:

So true...so true...

Link to CatChat