Author Topic: Worried about my Lilycat  (Read 5876 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Worried about my Lilycat
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2007, 20:32:44 PM »
Thats great you found a food she likes  ;D if she likes puree then a/d from the vets may attract her, its a complete diet.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2007, 06:52:45 AM »
Add me to the list of well wishers  :)

She should have a good chance as I did'nt realise that this has only happened in the last couple of months....CC's Ollie was born with it  :( ;)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2007, 22:22:54 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed she is in the 80%.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2007, 22:10:29 PM »
Well done lilycat  ;D

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2007, 22:08:31 PM »
Great news, it's so worry when they are not eating.  Well done Lilycat

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2007, 21:24:57 PM »
I ordered some Applaws food for her and although I still had to puree it, she absolutely loved it and got down just about a full 70g tin  ;D tomorrow I'll start adding the Vetri-DMG I ordered and try to build her up a bit...I'm much happier now she's had a proper meal  :wow:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 16:29:58 PM »
I think 80% is a good way of looking at it, if she turns out to be in the 20% who dont improve then at least you wont have that 'but what if' niggling at you.

Good luck for monday :luck:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 13:23:21 PM »
Monday will soon be here and hope that she will be oK till then  :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 08:33:44 AM »
Aw bless her.  It is awful to see them uncomfortable and not be able to do anything to help.  You are doing everything you can for her and she is one lucky cat to have you for a mum

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2007, 22:18:27 PM »
 :thanks: for all your good thoughts!

She's not eating much at all - today she's had about a couple of teaspoons of nice mushy Tuna Royale. I'm still giving her her antibiotics and Metacam and I've ordered a bottle of Vetri DMG from Vet UK, it might make her a little bit stronger and help her to recover from the op.

She's in the bedroom with me now - she's mooching around but when I get into bed she'll be up for a cuddle  :Luv:

On Monday I'll give her her favourite bed to take, she loves her fleecy hammock so I'll take that out of the frame and fold it up for her and I'll give her something I've worn as well. I've been assuming that visiting must be allowed but if they say it's not, I'll kick up a polite fuss  :sneaky:

The thought of her still being affected after the operation is certainly a worry Lynn, I think I read that it has an 80% success rate which isn't fantastic but she's been slowly deteriorating over the last 8 weeks. It's hard to know what's for the best...is the op her best chance or should I keep trying her on various things for another [extremely painful] 2 months? It's so difficult without any guarrantees.

Thanks for all your good wishes...I'm sure all those positive thoughts will help 

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 17:30:54 PM »
How is Lilycat today?

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 16:15:40 PM »
How is she doing?

Offline Felix (Caroline)

• Hero Cat
  • Simba
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 15:40:44 PM »
Goodluck Lilycat will be thinking of you both :Luv:
Caroline xx

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 01:42:37 AM »
>Lynn...that's what CC was told as Ollie's teeth are perfect and the vet said tooth removal may have no effect.... :scared:

I hope everything works out good Lilycat.... :hug:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 23:36:24 PM »
I just came on after reading initial couple of posts to suggest feeding via tube through her neck, this is a fantastic way to tube feed and if necessary can be left in for fairly long periods of time and you could even use it at home as its far easier than a nasogastric tube and puss are far happier with them,

I totally understand how difficult the op will be so good luck to all concerned, i also empathise with the sheer hard work of who ever is doing the procedure (longest i spent doing 1 dental was 3 hours on a lab --- NIGHTMARE and back breaking) However my hugs go to lily for afterwards aswell and heres hoping they keep her well zonked with pethidine or similar drugs.

My only concern that if it is some type of sensitivity that her gums and mucous membranes in and around her mouth may still be affected even without the teeth, has the vet said anything about the "what ifs"

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 23:21:59 PM »
Poor Lily  :hug:  Does she have a favourite blanket that you could take with her and an maybe item of your clothing so that she can be comforted by your smell. 

Will be thinking of you both on Monday  :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 22:41:07 PM »
I am sure they will allow visits cos all good vets know that cats get better quicker when their fav human visits, insist  ;D

Lots of cuddles to Lily and hope she gets well soon  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2007, 22:13:47 PM »
Poor Lilycat.  She will be well monitored whilst hospitalised which will ease your mind I hope.  Good luck to her and you

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2007, 22:08:45 PM »
Ah right.
Please spay your cat

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2007, 22:04:34 PM »
I think the problem is that she basically has a full mouth of strong teeth - it isn't her teeth that are the problem as such.

The operation for teeth removal due to Stomatitis has to be done by a vet with special training as it's not just a normal dental. I think they have to make sure they remove all traces of the tooth and root[?], there have been cases where the eye socket has been punctured during the procedure and the eye has been lost. 

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2007, 21:58:30 PM »
Blimey, that sounds a long time for a full mouth removal, and I can't understand the tube feeding either. My 3rd cat went in for a dental and came back completely toothless, she managed quite well, Ginger lost his over the course of a few years, and he sulked if he didn't get his supper biscuits, and loved raw meat. Fingers crossed for her.
Please spay your cat

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2007, 21:55:36 PM »
Lily went to the vet who has advised us to have her teeth removed - she hasn't made any progress at all on the current course of treatment  :(.

We've got her booked in for her operation on Monday...I'm really worrying now, they've said that she'll have to stay in hospital for at least 5 days and will be being fed via a a tube in her neck. They've also said that she could be under anaesthetic for 90 minutes  :scared:.

The only good thing is that I've got savings enough to cover the estimate for her treatment so I won't have to resort to using the credit card....£800+ and worth every penny, I just hope she's ok; I hope they allow visiting because I'll miss her so much if I can't see her for nearly a week  :( 

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 21:59:43 PM by lilycat »

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2007, 19:55:25 PM »
How did Lily get on today?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 19:42:49 PM »
If it's any consolation, I have a cat, Polly, who has no teeth. No idea how she lost them, but she's very old. She copes perfectly well and isn't bothered at all. I suppose having teeth isn't such a vanity issue for cats.

Best wishes to Lily, I hope she gets this sorted.  :hug:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 18:37:46 PM »
Lily was on steroids to begin with but I took her to see the senior vet at the practice and he took her off them straight away fortunately.

I've written down the Vetri DMG supplement details so OH can enquire about it when he takes her tomorrow - just to make sure it would be ok in conjunction with any prescription meds she may be given...it sounds well worth trying. Thanks MM  :)

The vet has talked about extraction but I think he wants to keep it as a last resort as he says her teeth are healthy in themselves and removing a mouth full of healthy teeth is a major operation, plus, it's not a guarranteed cure. I can see where he's coming from but I think it's time we tried something else - trouble is, even if she did have a 'dental' she wouldn't tolerate the daily tooth brushing and rinses afterwards that'd keep the condition at bay.

Thanks for your good thoughts, I certainly appreciate it and I'm sure Lilymonster does too - if she comes down for a cuddle I'll give her a special squeeze  :hug:  :thanks:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 17:19:47 PM »
That wont last tho Ruth as eventually the steroids have less and less effect  :( If they have an immune system problem steroids can lower that further too.

Lilycat, heres the link for the supplement i mentioned http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=9281.0

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 17:06:51 PM »
One of CC's cats "Ollie" has stomitus (sp?) He gets a steroid jab every month and was up till a couple of months ago on long term antibiotics too  ;)

His breath dos'nt smell anymore, he has no soreness of the mouth or scabs.....his coat looks lovely now that he isnt cleaning it with an infected mouth....

I do hope the vet can sort this as its an awful illness if not under control  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 16:49:09 PM »
It maybe they couldnt do a dental if her mouth is that swollen up. The vets iv seen prefer to try and get some of the sypmtoms under control before going in.  :-:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 16:35:49 PM »
Millys Mums ... on the first website I listed it says in BIG RD LETTERS  .... DO NOT USE STEROIDS

Of course I'm no vet and a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 16:03:42 PM »
A change of tactics certainly sounds needed. Antirobe is normally really good for mouth infections, especially 2 weeks in.

Z/d is is a horrible diet, the "wet" version is just like rubber  :sick: i dont blame lily for not eating it!

Maybe a steroid jab and extractions may be the way to go.

Fingers crossed you vet takes your concerns on board cos she doesnt sound like a happy bunny.

Gentle tickles to Lily  :Luv2:

If you have a look in the fiv section theres a thread for an immune system supplement, may be worth mentioning to your vet and see what he thinks.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 16:02:59 PM »
i am so sorry that lily is ill and hope the vet can help tomorrow  :hug: :hug:

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 15:44:09 PM »
So sorry to hear abut lilly.

Have you seen the following website:  http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/stomatitis.html

http://ucat.us/Stomatitis.html

Big hugs to you and lilly  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 15:42:06 PM »
 :hug:

hope things go OK at the vet tomorrow

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
Worried about my Lilycat
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 15:36:57 PM »
My lovely Lily really isn't very well  :scared:

She's had Stomatitis for about 2 months now and this latest course of treatment doesn't seem to be getting any better results than the last lot. At the mo. she's on Metacam and Antirobe [for the past 2 weeks] and the condition's getting worse if anything.

The vet also wanted her on z/d which I tried but she won't eat, so I've given her food she likes [so she has her Metacam] but because her mouth is so painful I've been pureeing it...today I had to feed her by hand but she still only managed a tiny tiny bit before it hurt her too much. Also, she's been drooling, it's been pink and on one occasion, green. She tried to clean her face the other day and was yowling while she was doing it, it was so sore  :(

I can tell she's feeling more depressed because she hasn't been coming for her evening cuddle - she's always been a bit more clingy when she doesn't feel well, but now she just stays in her radiator hammock. Usually comes down at about 9, I hold her in my arms, we get comfy and she has a good old cuddle, purr and snooze.

I'm just really worried about her - she's got an appointment at the vet in the morning and I've written an update on her condition for the vet as OH is taking her because I'm at Uni all day.

The vet thinks she's developed an immunity disorder, she got acne earlier this year and ended up with a toe amputated, e-coli and MRSA. That cleared up, I noticed a new spot of acne and this time she's ended up with Stomatitis. If she keeps falling prey to one thing after another, I worry that she won't be strong enough to keep fighting it off  :'(     

Link to CatChat