Author Topic: Worrying day: Samantha is at vets' being debunged.  (Read 3735 times)

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
Re: Worrying day: Samantha is at vets' being debunged.
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2007, 07:55:50 AM »
Shame she wont tolerate it in her food, Molly accepts it no problem (I didn't try giving it to her first, just straight in the food), and she is really fussy with things being put in her food, and also being given anything. She doesn't have wind with it either
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2007, 16:37:04 PM »
We must be lucky then cos Dragan has been windless.  I know cats hate it but have you tried mixing it really well in ?

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2007, 13:34:45 PM »
Unfortunately she hates the taste of it  :sick:
I read on the net that it makes them fart - boy is she blowing them! Apart from that they're both fine at the mo.
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2007, 06:44:44 AM »
Have you tried it on the cat's food?  Mine takes it that way no problem.  Saves the stress of having to syringe it down his throat. 

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2007, 01:38:34 AM »
I must admit that it's a bit of a battle to give her lactulose (pin cat down, syringe into mouth before clawed to death!) but it has successfully got her 'going' again. When she's back in the habit, I'll change to Katalax, which is easier to give.

She's going back to the vet for a check on monday, I'll have a chat about Katalax v lactulose. I just hope he isn't too partisan cos he sells the Katalax at a tenner a tube!!!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 01:38:55 AM by Hippykitty »
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 23:09:52 PM »
That is interesting Swamp - just a shame Molly wont tolerate Katalax, so she has to have Lactulose.
Please spay your cat

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2007, 15:03:28 PM »
Glad to hear that Samantha got on well at the vet. I take Lactulose and can recommend it,its very gentle.  ;D

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2007, 10:07:45 AM »
just to pass on (so to speak   :-:) what my vet told me - he thinks Katalax is the safest laxative for constant use out there.  I had to use it in 3 day bursts together with Peridale (2x daily Peridale indefinitely) for Max.
However at present he's agreeing to nosh K/d chicken which is definitely helping in the poo department.
Poop btw is a very delicate way of putting it :) good luck.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2007, 14:52:25 PM »
it will prob take a couple of days before she can use the tray cos she has just been cleared.....hope it goes well from then  :hug:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2007, 07:43:07 AM »
Thanks. I'll get some lactulose and see how she gets on with that. I just wish she'd do a big smelly one in the litter tray.  :sick:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2007, 07:24:42 AM »
Glad Sam is home and now debunged.  As I said in my earlier post my cat suffers badly from constipation as a side effect of his pancreatitis.

The vet has given him lactulose (you can buy it from the chemist) 1.5ml twice a day.

In the past I have given him liquid paraffin occasionally, I just drop it on his food and mix it well in, he has had no problem with that.

Good luck

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2007, 07:23:10 AM »
Lactulose is better than Liquid Parafin, I was told to give Molly Liquid PArafin, but found it a struggle to buy, the chemist said that it has been replaced by Lactulose. It is just a liquid you can dribble over their food - Molly hates any treats, but is fine with it. The vets other suggestion was higher fibre food, so she gets Perfect Fit Indoor and Asda Tiger Senior a couple of times a week, as they were the highest fibre wet foods I could find - wet food is better than dry, as it has more moisture, if they dont have enough moisture, then they will also struggle.
Please spay your cat

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2007, 07:19:28 AM »
Thanks for your concern.
 Sam is home and seemed much happier after being debunged. The vet said he thinks the cause is that her bowel muscles have become weak with age and has recommended daily doses of Katalax. He didn't say (and I didn't think to ask), whether it was fur. If it is because her muscles are too weak to push out the poop, then bulking up her poop (sorry to keep saying the word) will probably make things worse?
Trouble is, she hasn't 'been' since she got back from the vet, even though she used to be a poop factory! Does anyone know of a stronger, safe laxative for cats? I don't think I can afford regular enemas! Also, I've read the blurb on the Katalax tube and it seems to be mostly cod liver oil, which contains lots of vit a, which isn't good for cats.
Vet wants to see her in two weeks to see how she's getting on. I'm hoping she won't need debunging every two weeks, as that would work out at £200 per month! So laxative recommendations would be welcome. What about liquid paraffin? Is it difficult to give?
At least the vet didn't think that anything sinister was blocking her; he said he had "a good poke around" and couldn't find anything obvious.
Sorry to take so long in catching up, but have been occupied with her ladyship.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 14:09:56 PM »
How is samantha?

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 13:34:50 PM »
My cat suffers from constipation as a side effect of his pancreatitis.  He has had to have several enemas and once went 15 days without a poo.

The hospital vet recommended lactulose (1.5 ml twice a day) and I keep some of this in now.  Also a little amount of liquid paraffin could be used (not too much and not too often) also vet said tuna with the sunflower oil left on it might help.

I have tried weetabix crumbled on his food too and he is on Peridale but sometimes still gets the constipation.  Good luck

Offline swampmaxmum

• Super Cat
  • SwampMax happy on their sunny French balcon 05!
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 11:09:50 AM »

agree with Milly's Mum on the peridale (bran). If she can take tablets, they are small capsules and work gently. How is she doing anyway today?

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »
i hope she is OK, I use Lactulose on Molly and it does help a lot.
Please spay your cat

Offline Amanda (mad4moggies)

• Adult Cat
  • RIP Spot 18/04/11 - Missed more than words can say
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 23:56:23 PM »
Hippykitty, i hope that Samantha is home and well. I can`t remember if she is on any treatment for the constipation but if she isn`t then it would be worth asking your vet about lactulose which you can get from either the vets or the chemist and using it as a regular thing every day on her food may prevent her from having any future troubles.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 20:45:14 PM »
How's the patient doing x

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 18:20:49 PM »
I hope every thing has gone well and will be interested if its a mass of fur cos Sasa I am sure eats a lot.

I do hope she is OK  :hug:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007, 17:06:38 PM »
I hope shes ok. You could ask your vet about peridale, its a granule that swells and holds water making a ncie bulky poo  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007, 12:25:54 PM »
Only the vet would know for sure but I guess they are the same as us in that if they eat a high-fibre diet, it will stop them getting bunged up. I hope. Hope they give you the good news soon  :hug:
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 12:14:14 PM »
Good Luck at the vets  :hug: :hug:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:02:50 PM »
Aww, hope all goes well today, try not to worry, but I know its hard  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 11:58:14 AM »
Awww best wishes to Samantha, and to you HK  :hug:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:55:58 AM »
Awww. Good luck at the vets, Samantha.

I'm not going to say "try not to worry" either. I know there's no point - you just can't help it, can you?!

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 10:43:03 AM »
The vet didn't mention anything about a change in diet. She's not fat, but lives on Whiskas. She swallows a lot of fur from grooming herself (shorthair) and Polly (fluffy). Do you think a change in diet would help?

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 10:34:12 AM »
No point saying "Try not to worry" - it is annoying that we have to sign a consent form and release vets from any responsibility though. I'm sure she will be fine though - Its routine although they don't usually go as far as saying there is a possibility you cat will die  :(
Will she be going onto a high-fibre diet once its sorted out. Kylie is on Hill's obesity food and is as regular as clockwork with her great big stinkers now  :sick:
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 10:34:35 AM by Mark »
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
Worrying day: Samantha is at vets' being debunged.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 10:23:49 AM »
I'm worrying my head off, and Polly is going round the house howling and looking for her friend, wondering why she didn't come back from the vet this morning.

I took Samantha in to be 'debunged' under general anaesthetic, and for the vet to investigate whether there is a sinister reason for the severe constipation. I just hate signing that horrid consent form and being told by the nurse that 'there's a possibility that she may die under the anaesthetic' I KNOW, I wish they wouldn't remind me, it makes me feel like I'm signing a death warrant.

A friend is coming over later, when he can get into gear (he's a slow-starter), to take my mind off it. Meanwhile, I thought I'd visit Purrs as I haven't been here much lately - health problems and stuff.

I'm so worried they'll find a tumour, or she'll die while under (she's about 17 years old).  :scared:

Link to CatChat