Author Topic: WORRIED cat coughing again.  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Lang

• Adult Cat
Re: WORRIED cat coughing again.
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2007, 23:15:51 PM »
I dont smoke in the house so it cant be that,
I think the vet may well be right because there was no coughing today + none yeaterday and she has had no fish flavoured food  ;D

Great.  Fingers crossed.  :)

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2007, 20:18:30 PM »
I dont smoke in the house so it cant be that,
I think the vet may well be right because there was no coughing today + none yeaterday and she has had no fish flavoured food  ;D

Offline Lang

• Adult Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2007, 16:38:27 PM »
One thing that is worth doing is checking for possible triggers.  I have heard of an asthmatic cat being sensitive to cigarette smoke, and when the person in the house stopped smoking, the cat stopped coughing.  :)  Good luck, anyway.

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2007, 18:26:59 PM »
atleast the vet said she seems fine in herself so that sounds good to me  ;D
They cant actualy test for ashtma but can do lots of other tests + xrays he said if it is ashtma it is only very mild  ;D
im alot happier today as i know it is nothing seroius and that she should be fine  ;D
God knows how i will get her to use an inhaler if it comes to it  :rofl:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2007, 18:18:27 PM »
I suppose it could be so many things like stress for example.

I hope the tests have a good result and Kitty stops coughing  ;D

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2007, 17:07:23 PM »
I took kitty to the vets today and she has got to go back on monday for some tests xrays etc,

My vet said that by what i have told him he thinks it may be ashtma but cant really tell untill all these tests have been done,

He asked me what she eats, She is very fussy and only really likes fish flavoured cat food he said this could be the cause but didnt explain why and i forgot to ask as was quite upset, Any ideas?

Kitty seems fine today hasnt coughed at all, Also my vet told me that she should cope fine if it is ashtma which is quite reasurring  ;D

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 22:49:30 PM »
coz i wanted them to all start at the same time so that the money comes out of my bank at the same time each month and not all over the place as i know i would not have the money in there and then get in debt with the bank  :-[

Me too my gfs been upset all evening because of her coughing so hopefully its nothing to serious at all  :(

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2007, 22:46:29 PM »
There is no reason why all the cats cant have different insurance companies and if the kittens are already with AXA and if its a better policy I would leave them there.

Why on earth did you change the date of Kittys policy, sorry that sounds rude but not meant to be. All policys can start on different dates and also its not a good idea to keep switching from Company to company very frequently.
I hope there is nothing seriously wrong with Kitty and that it can be sorted out very quickly  :hug:

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2007, 21:02:21 PM »
ok thanks for that info itl be very helpfull if it is! it may also explain why she will only play for short periods and then just lays on the floor.

Argos isnt a 2 bad of policy just not great but obviously if i have to stay with them i will and ill insure the 2 kittens with them 2 if it comes to it.

Your all such a nice bunch on here  ;D  :hug:

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2007, 21:00:13 PM »
I will do hopefully i can get an appointment for tommorrow or thursday as partner has got hospital on friday and i know she will cancell her appointment just to come to the vets with kitty  :rofl:

She seems fine in herself other than when she has her little coughing fits its so horrible as there is nothing i can do to stop her from coughing  :(

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007, 20:58:58 PM »
If it's anything ongoing (like asthma) then you'll need to stick with Argos as Axa won't cover it as it will count as pre-existing.  Lisa (littlebobo) has a very young cat (1 year ish) with asthma.  I think he copes fine with it, if it turns out to be asthma you could PM her to ask how he copes with it.

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007, 20:55:49 PM »
It is unlikely to be cancer in one so young.  Good luck at the vets and let us know how you get on  :hug:
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007, 20:54:59 PM »
i have recently changed to axa but that policy doesnt start untill the end of the  month now as i changed the start date because i have insured my 2 new kittens with them too so i should still be covered with argos for now.

Yeah very recently changed vets due to my old one being useless.

I really do hope she is ok but reading up on all the symptoms of ashtma it really does sound like what she has got  :( hopefully im just being a worrier

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 20:50:56 PM »
Is Kitty the one you recently insured with Axa or is she still with Argos?  If it's a new policy you normally have to wait two weeks before you can make a claim, worth checking your policy documents in any case.  If you take her during the two week period it will count as a pre-existing condition and it won't be covered at all.

You can ask the vet to deal direct with the Insurance company but to be honest I'd be very surprised if the cost of the visit came to more than the excess you have to pay anyway, obviously if she has tests etc then it would do.  You could take your insurance docs with you to prove she is insured, otherwise you could be a new customer (think it was you that's changed vets recently?) saying the insurance will pay and not be insured at all, never to be seen agian!

Fingers crossed for Kitty, hope it's nothing too serious  :hug:

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 20:49:39 PM »
Thanks blackcat i have only had her 2-3 months and this will be her first vet visit other than when she went for her booster vaccination

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 20:47:43 PM »
kitty is only 1 year old  :(
Up untill now it seemed like she had recovered from her cough but today she has had 3 coughing fits it really scares me, It does seem like a furball but i dont think it is anymore because she never brings anything up.

I will call the vets first thing in the morning and try and get an appointment.

Hopefully shes ok  :(

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 20:42:51 PM »
I would get her to the vet and get her checked out ... I don't want to worry you but my mums cat had a cough she kept taking her to the vet and was told it was hayfever.  The vet prescribed a steroid injection then "lucy" was fine for a few months however as this had been ongoing for several months my mum finally insisted on more tests and it has transpired that Lucy has throat cancer   :'(  ... as it is now inoperable we are not sure how long she has left.

I'm not sure how old Kitty is .. Lucy is 14 ... but it definitely needs checking out.

In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 20:41:00 PM »
talk to them explain the situation. Most vets would understand extenuating circs If they don't then it's time to change vets ...

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 20:38:21 PM »
Also as she is insured i will only have to pay the excess but on my vets website it says you have to pay the bill and then your insurance company will pay out to you the only thing is as im in the middle of changing jobs and gf has been of work sick for the past month we have very little money coming in, So do you think there would be a way round this so that the insurance company will pay the vets straight away instead of me having to pay them? If not i really dont know were i will get the money from  :-[

Offline tez2384

• Senior Cat
WORRIED cat coughing again.
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 20:34:07 PM »
Not so long ago i put up a post about kitty coughing, she coughs as if she has got a furball and stretches her neck right out and after she has finished coughing she seems to be breathing very heavily you cant hear her but you can see her body going up and down alot quicker than usual.

Thought it was a furball so got some furball paste and for about a week there was no coughing at all,

Now she has started coughing again, was just reading online and in my cat books and it sounds like it may well be ashtma  :(

Going to phone the vets tommorrow and see what they say but any advice? If it is ashtma is this serious? Does anyone here have an ashtmatic cat?

All advice is much appreciated.

Link to CatChat