Author Topic: Young Sootie Off Wet Food  (Read 2405 times)

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
Re: Young Sootie Off Wet Food
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »
Thank you all, let us hope the young fellow can stay well, he and his friend Sophie!  :catplay2:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2009, 09:52:25 AM by sarasara »

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 07:54:08 AM »
Glad all is well  :)
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 01:21:46 AM »
That's good to hear  :)

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 22:24:01 PM »
Hope he's perked up by now?  :hug:
Glad to report that Mr. Sooty seems to be out of the woods.
I treated him with profender worm drop and after two days he seems to be back to his old self.
It looks like it was a parasite or worm injested alive from the rodent which had caused the problem.
If someone has the same problem but worming does not do the trick then it may be that their mog was unable to digest parts of the mouse which can get stuck in its innards and needs a teaspoon of liquid paraffin three times a day to help shift it.
An ex-ray recommended if that is not working.

Mr Sooty  ;D breathes a sigh of relief:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 12:22:03 PM »
Hi Sara,

Sorry to hear about Sooty, I do agree with you that it does not sound particularly serious at this point.
What type of food have you been feeding him that he is now no longer interested in?
Hi Yvonne, well we recently switched from Whiskas tinned food to better quality food in pouches with real fish. That is because tins can go off in this late summer weather but also because the pouches have less in them, and so better for feeding a wet and dry diet.
He really enjoyed the pouches and it was not until the day he ate the fieldmouse that Sophie (his slightly elder girlfriend) caught for him that the problem arose. Previously when he was only tiny he ate an insect and had to have the vet out to give him an anti-biotic injection which solved the problem. I really don't think it is the food or the weather; the other cats are fine. I think he has some parasite in his stomach which makes eating rich or wet food unnapetising. So we will first eliminate that probability. If by Wednesday he has not improved then I will call up the vet who wont have a clue anyway but could take his temperature and give him an antibiotic. If he had just gone off wet food as some cats I'm told do then his vitality should not have been affected. That is the only sign of a problem, a lack of his usual more frenetic behaviour.

Offline Yvonne

• Super Cat
  • Cleo
  • Slave to: Trevor, Clare, Spotty, Homer, Parrot, Cody, strays, Ginger Snaps and Jacob Black.
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »
Hi Sara,

Sorry to hear about Sooty, I do agree with you that it does not sound particularly serious at this point.
What type of food have you been feeding him that he is now no longer interested in?
The Purrs 2011 Cat Show!
Could your cat be a winner? 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37101.0.html

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 09:50:46 AM »
The only problem is that he is petrified  :sick: of vets and not obviously very ill. He is drinking a lot more  ;) and eat's enough biscuits to keep his weight.

If he's drinking more as well then I'd def be taking him to the vets. Cats can go downhill very very quickly so it's not worth the risk of waiting especially as like MM said it's the weekend. Try and see if you can get an appt for tomorrow morning. 1 quick vet check up will be better for a vet fearing cat than leaving it and it turning into something serious that requires any many vets visits.
Where I live the vets are fairly useless and most of the time get the diagnosis wrong and make the cats more sick from the terror of a visit to or from them. I generally end up finding out the problem on the net.
Without any obvious symptoms there is little they could do at this point anyway.
I am getting him the de-wormer on Monday and we shall see if it was some parasite he ate with the mouse. If not I will have a vet out to take his temperature and see if it is a tummy infection. Even though he ate only some jelly from his soft food this morning and ate some biscuits he is outside with his girlfriend now and looking fine. But he is not rough and tumbling with her or chasing each other around very much so he is not his normal self, also he is slower to get up in the morning when usually he is trying to wake me up. So he lacks his usual vitality. He drinks more because he is eating dry. His demeanour has not changed at all so no escalation of the problem. He seems happy and content and not obviously ill in any way. Surprised no one else has experienced this.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 21:47:43 PM »
The only problem is that he is petrified  :sick: of vets and not obviously very ill. He is drinking a lot more  ;) and eat's enough biscuits to keep his weight.

If he's drinking more as well then I'd def be taking him to the vets. Cats can go downhill very very quickly so it's not worth the risk of waiting especially as like MM said it's the weekend. Try and see if you can get an appt for tomorrow morning. 1 quick vet check up will be better for a vet fearing cat than leaving it and it turning into something serious that requires any many vets visits.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 21:23:29 PM »
The only problem is that he is petrified  :sick: of vets and not obviously very ill. He is drinking a lot more  ;) and eat's enough biscuits to keep his weight. I think he has probably ingested some irritant from something from the mouse he ate that has put him off rich food, maybe some sort of tummy bug but not serious enough to cause obvious symptoms.  :innocent: So thanks for all your kind suggestions. I'm watching him closely and if any sign of a temperature or other such symptom and I'll get the vet out.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 17:40:39 PM »
No, Tiggy's Mum it's very odd. He is haphazardly eating biscuits but won't eat more than a nibble of wet no matter how luxurious. I am wondering if when he ate the mouse last weeks he got some worm in him. I am going to buy worm treatment on Monday and I will try that. He is also not running around with the other cat or wrestling with her as he used to though seems otherwise active.   :tired:

He sounds off his other food as well as wet, id be off for a check up especially as its the weekend.
If he had worms he would be more hungry, i wouldnt reccomend worming him when already off colour without him having the all clear from a vet

Offline Kay and Penny

• Auction Staff
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 13:24:51 PM »
all three of mine, including Miss Piggy, are eating less now the weather has finally warmed up

might be an idea to offer some liquor you have cooked the fish in as he could go short of fluid if he was getting most of it from wet food
Robert A. Heinlein:
How you behave toward cats here below determines your status in Heaven.

Offline Lottie (Team Svartalfheim's)

• Distinguished Cat
  • GB* Svartalfheim's Sunset Boulevard
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest cats
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 13:15:17 PM »
Is he still eating his dry food and fish ok or is he off his food in general? Definately worm him and if in doubt get your vet to check him over. Could be that as it is so hot that the wet food is spoiling very quickly and so not smelling/tasting as nice to him.
Feel free to visit the Team at www.svartalfheim.co.uk

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 12:58:38 PM »
Worming sounds like a good idea and if he doesn't seem his normal self then maybe have a chat with the vets and see if they want to see him. It could be that he's just 'gone off' that particular brand and wants some 'non luxurious' wet food  :naughty:

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:54:47 PM »
No, Tiggy's Mum it's very odd. He is haphazardly eating biscuits but won't eat more than a nibble of wet no matter how luxurious. I am wondering if when he ate the mouse last weeks he got some worm in him. I am going to buy worm treatment on Monday and I will try that. He is also not running around with the other cat or wrestling with her as he used to though seems otherwise active.   :tired:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 12:20:11 PM »

Offline sarasara

• Adult Cat
Young Sootie Off Wet Food
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 21:08:30 PM »
Hi Purrs,

Without wanting getting into the subject of which is best wet or dry, because I give them both, my young Sootie who is nine months old suddenly stopped his wet food three days ago.

I feed them the best quality real fish and normally he loves his pouch in the morning and the evening with dry biscuits in-between.

It happened the same day he ate a small fieldmouse his girlfriend Sophie gave him and he has not been quite as energetic as normal last few days but seems ok and eating enough.

Anyone noticed this before? It's not the fault of the wet food which he loves. :-:
Thanks,
sara.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 21:56:18 PM by sarasara »

Link to CatChat