Author Topic: Worrying litter tray deposits?  (Read 8145 times)

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
Re: Worrying litter tray deposits?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2009, 15:41:02 PM »
Could it be stress and she is holding on??

I know this is what my Jess was doing he was holding himself until he HAD to go as he was so full, it was all stress related

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2009, 15:02:20 PM »
Well we've been to the vets - going back tomorrow afternoon.

The vet thinks it's strange that Storm isn't wanting to go to the loo all the time if it is Cystitis. Her bladder is very full & i have to try & get a sample of urine off her so it can be checked. Easier said than done as she's not going much. Could there be a reason why she's holding on????

As a precaution the vet has given Storm an antibiotic injection so fingers crossed that should help.

Thanks for the well wishes.  :hug:

Offline Leanne

• Super Cat
  • Milo & Jess
  • Slave to: Jess & Milo
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
Fingers crossed for you  :hug:

Was it blood in the urine?

Offline Janeyk

• Rescue & Rehoming/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 10:54:53 AM »
Best of luck for Storm xx
Please consider the harder to home cats in rescue.

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2009, 10:52:45 AM »
Hi guys just a quick update. Storm is going to the vets in half an hour. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2009, 21:51:23 PM »
Thanks for that great advice Rosella. I'll def give the insurance search a go & look into AXA tomorrow. I'll also pop into the vets & see if they want to see Storm. I don't think it's anything serious, she's eating, drinking, playing & sleeping ok. I know they hide it well but they haven't changed. Just her wee.

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 21:41:38 PM »
If you use the search facility you'll fnd a number of threads that discuss insurance. 

Quite a few on this site were with M&S for a while when Axa were their Underwriters.  M&S premiums then went through the roof and policy altered when they changed underwriters along the lines that you have to check with their vet nurse before using out of hours vet and policy excess increased (used to be nil!).  I would guess Axa will be cheaper than M&S.  I can recommend Axa for paying up in a timely manner with no fuss also.

I think I'm right in saying the cover originally offered by M&S is the same as Axa offer now and is cheaper especially for older cats as Axa's excess does not alter based on age.  You need to bear in mind that chopping and changing for best deals can be problematic if pud becomes ill as next insurance company will not cover existing conditions so the idea is to choose a company that are likely to continue offering pet insurance.  That is one reason people like Petplan as they are in the pet insurance market for the long haul but I think they are expensive and excess too high.

Still not getting any commission from Axa  >:(  ;)

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 20:46:19 PM »
Thanks for the price guidance. I can afford that. Storms still eating so i'm guessing eventually what goes in will have to come out.

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 20:38:01 PM »
My Merlin had cytitis just before xmas and his antiB's and consultation came to £42 (£47 but i get a reduced consultation for being such a good customer  :rofl:).  all vets vary so thats just to give you an idea.
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 19:57:44 PM »
Thanks i'll have a look at AXA.  I've just had a brief look at money supermarket. M&S seem to do a good one. Has anyone got experience of them?

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 19:28:48 PM »
Axa.  Still not cheap but was best value last time I spent what seemed like a month researching it  ;)

Most insurances will not cover any illlness that develops in 1st 2 weeks

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 19:14:34 PM »
Can you recommend any insurers that cover most of the bases? Pet Plan seem quite expensive.

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 19:06:28 PM »
The vets will be able to give you special litter which you can get a sample from- clever stuff! I would imagine it won't be too expensive if it's a case of antibiotics but enquire with your vets as they all charge differently. It really depends on what the problem is and if it's easy to diagnose or if she needs additional tests.

It may be worth you getting your pet insurance sorted out online, they will be able to give you instant cover and you can pay a small amount each month by DD

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 18:56:43 PM »
I doubt i'll be able to get a sample off her. She's got a collar on for a shoulder wound & gets spooked when people 'creep' up behind her. Will treatment cost alot? I've just been made redundant & haven't got round to sorting insurance out for them yet because money's tight.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 18:55:39 PM »
If shes holding it in too long then it will be extra strong and then increase her chances of problems, try an extra tray with different litter and see if she goes more often

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 18:50:02 PM »
I haven't changed her food recently. She's not going frequently either. I think she went for the first time about an hour ago, but i can't 100% certain. I'll pop into the vets in the morning, it's just over the road.

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 18:48:24 PM »
A vet check is very good idea, take a sample if you can get one  ;) or they can collect one whilst your there, have it checked for crystals.
I would also suggest you add a 2nd tray, as stress is the main cause of bladder probs  :tired:

Offline Debsymiller (Rufus' mum)

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
  • RIP Layla and Rufus- love you forever xxx
    • East Surrey Cats Protection
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 18:37:26 PM »
It sounds like she may have a urinary infection like cystitis if she is only doing a bit at a time and it's darker. Is she going very regularly?
You probably need to get her to a vet ASAP so she can have antibiotics before it gets too painful for her. Having had a cat who suffered very badly with urinary problems, I was advised by the vets that a dodgy tum can often accompany a water problem.
Poor puss  :hug: the antibiotics will help the problem very quickly so she should be back to normal soon

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 18:33:42 PM »
Have you changed the food at all?

Offline kp76

• Adult Cat
Worrying litter tray deposits?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 18:21:57 PM »
Ok guys here's one that has been bothering me for a few days now. I have 2 cats, both use the same litter tray. Over the last few days i've noticed that Storm has been producing dark coloured urine into the wood based litter, far darker than Alfie's & also she seems to only be producing a little bit. Any idea's why? A couple of days ago she also passed a firm poo but it turned runny part way through. Could this be connected?

Link to CatChat