Author Topic: X-posted from CC - can anyone offer any advice (URGENT)  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
Re: X-posted from CC - can anyone offer any advice (URGENT)
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2008, 14:10:27 PM »
Thanks for all your comments guys ... I have altered the poster on CC.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 16:32:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure Slippery Elm can also be used for constipation, might be worth a try  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 16:25:29 PM »
Will the private vet go ahead without consent from the RSPCA? If they are offering a payment plan and are happy to do the op id pay up out my own pocket. Not what you expect when you take on a cat on an adoption type agreement but what do you do when you've got attached and want them healthy again  :(

Offline tammy

• Distinguished Cat
  • Smudge
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 13:07:50 PM »
I think lactulose only works in mild cases-Ive had previous experience of this with a cat I had. In some cases the op is the only choice-its either that or cat version of colonic irrigation every couple of months!!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 12:26:25 PM »
All I can say about this is if we home a cat and it needed vet treatment and the owner could not pay no matter what the cost we would if the vet thought the cat could then go on to have a quality life. At the very least we would offer to lend the money.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 13:46:29 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 06:54:21 AM »
My Dragan had terrible constipation problems.  He had developed a pouch in his anus where poo would collect.  He was successfully treated with Lactulose (softens the poo) and sometimes I gave him Katalax on his paw if he was really bad.  Has your vet tried alternatives to the op?  Peridale is also a stool softener

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 22:40:26 PM »
I dont know anything about their assisted adoption programme but sounds strange that the poor cat has been homed with a problem and then they wont help.

I think this works in the way someone adopts a cat with problems, the RSPCA will then continue to help with his vet bills but might be totally wrong.

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 22:39:10 PM »
Thanks Dawn  :hug:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 22:37:48 PM »
Not sure I can advise really  :shy:  I am on the committee for the RSPCA so don't really have anything to do with this side of things although we deal with some of the requests for money.  What RSPCA are you dealing with?  The problem being and I know this is wrong but the way they would look at it is purely down to expense.  £600 on one cat could go a long way to helping many others and if they allocated this money to every cat in their care, hundreds would suffer because of it, this is the way they would look at it, not me  :(  It's a sad situation all round I'm afraid.  If it was me, and I could afford it and the cat has a good quality of life and will do after the op, I would go for it and deal with them afterwards.  The other thing that may be worth suggesting although you shouldn't have to, is to offer to pay for some of his treatment if they can pay the rest but I would only suggest this when all other avenues have been exhausted as you really shouldn't be paying out for a cat that you are basically looking after.  It may also be worth getting it in writing from the vet to say this procedure is 99% effective and will solve all his problems.  This would be another issue, they will probably be looking at it long term and as long as they know it's money well spent in that it would solve his problems, they may go for it.  I hope something can be sorted out and I will try and get some more info on how the assisted adoption programme works. 

ccmacey

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 22:26:47 PM »
Is this about the rspca not paying the bill when they say she is on a scheme

I would go with the vets advice, forget about the money for now and contact the cab after.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 22:15:33 PM »
Have sent her a message and hope she can advice 

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 22:14:51 PM »
Thanks Gill,  I couldn't remember who it was that had RSPCA links but knew it was someone on here :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 22:12:20 PM »
I think D Dawns comments would be good here cos she has links with RSPCA.

I dont know anything about their assisted adoption programme but sounds strange that the poor cat has been homed with a problem and then they wont help.

They have some of the best vets available and this just sounds to me that they are not willing to spend any of their vast fortune.  I will send this link to DD and see if she can add anything.

Have to say that I would go with the procedure and argue with RSPCA afterwards.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
X-posted from CC - can anyone offer any advice (URGENT)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 22:04:23 PM »
This is the posted from CC

Title:  A heartbreaking decision made more tricky by the RSPCA!
http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/18/73604.html?1205963359

My cat has just come back from another night in hospital because of constipation. I got her from the RSPCA about 3 months ago she is 12, everything bar the constipation is perfect. The vet has told me there is a surgical procedure which she feels has a 99% chance of working to solve it once and for all. The RSPCA have her on an assisted adoption program and have said they would not help pay for the operation and feel it is not in the best intrests of her. The vet feels it is in her best intrest and has offered me 6 months credit to pay for it, which brings it to only 100 quid a month. As you can tell money is tight, but I am so tempted to go for the operation because the vet anticipates Olive has another 5 years at least! What would everyone else do? My heart says go for it without a doubt, my mind says is it in her best interests. Any comments really appreciated!

There have been a few posts but I think this chap needs some advice.  Please read all the comments so far.

Link to CatChat