Author Topic: Worried about Dragan  (Read 4124 times)

Offline madkittyrescue

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Re: Worried about Dragan
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2008, 14:29:38 PM »
Hi MM... I'm really sorry to read of Dragan. Only just catching up on posts.  All of us here are sending big :hug: and purrs and hope that both he and you are feeling much better soon.

The stress of the works and flood will no doubt have added to his condition.  I really really hope that things improve for him in the next day or so.

Keep us posted.  We have everything here crossed and double crossed for him.

:hug:
xxx
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 13:00:04 PM »
Aww, poor Dragan, I do hope it is just a mix of everything adn that he is OK soon.
Mark, painkillers are funny things in cats, my vet said there are very few that have been effective, and now Metacam is the only licenced product, so it is what vets should be prescribing. Things like Rimadyl which used to be used can only be used if hte vet puts a good case forward for using it - there can be serious side effects with that too, and I dont know if it is an NSAID, but if you search for it on here, I think Lynn might have posted the data sheet.
Please spay your cat

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2008, 12:21:30 PM »
Poor Dragon,may be you should give him till monday to rest and yourself try ro take it easy and relax, i am sure he can feel that you are worried and stressed and makes him stressed. Cant you ask his vet to do a home visit just this time so atleast Dragon gets a break from traveling to the surgery?

I feel for you, and i know what you are going through. You are trying to do whats best for him and he is lucky to have someone who cares so much and you to have Dragon. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2008, 10:40:02 AM »
Often the best way - No easy answer when you want the best for them  :hug:

Surely there must be a painkiller that isn't a NSAID? - I guess the vet would have given it if there were.
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »
Have now spoken with the vet who basically said that the reason for the caution re the mixing of the two drugs is that one increases blood flow to the kidneys (Fortekor) and one decreases it (Metacam).  He said we are using the Metacam very cautiously and there shouldn't be a problem with this.  He said Dragan may be off colour for a few days after starting on the Fortekor but possibly not as lethargic and weak as he appears.  He did say that the renovations and flood trauma might have impacted on him and it would take him longer to recover due to his advanced years and health problems.  He recommends I monitor Dragan until his regular vet is on duty on Monday.  However, if I become more worried or he deteriorates, to take him straight in (they are a 24 hour emergency hospital).  It is difficult for you to imagine I think how very stressed he gets when he has to go to the vet.  He has been 27 times since October due to the string incident and his dental and regular monitoring.  Bless him last time when I had to take him back for the repeat blood tests he wet himself (and me) when I was putting him in the basket.  Additionally my vet is not local and is about half an hour drive each way so am worried that further stress and upset may tip his balance further.  I think I will have to do what the vet said and monitor him.  Scarey though

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
I know when Clapton had his last dental, the vet gave hive a Metacam injection and one 2 days later. I asked for drops but he didn't want to give them to me because of the CRF, although he didn't mention that it was a problem with Fortekor. I read somewhere else that NSAIDS cancel out the effects of Fortekor. Basically "I think" NSAIDS stop swelling so possibly close arteries whereas Fortekor opens them up in basic terms?

Sorry re my earlier post - I meant the Fortekor leaflet, not the Metacam one (sure you knew what I meant  :hug: )
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:30:59 AM by Mark »

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2008, 09:41:07 AM »
Fingers crossed
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2008, 09:40:27 AM »
Hace checked the leaflet with the Fortekor and it says "In man the combinationation of ACE inhibitors and NSAIDS can lead to reduced antihypertensive efficacy or impaired renal function.  Therefore concurrent use of NSAIDS should be considered with care".  I have phoned the vet and am to phone back in half an hour as he was engaged.  Now I am worried.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2008, 09:31:52 AM »
Ah right.
Please spay your cat

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2008, 09:31:17 AM »
I have to agree with Desley that long-term treatment is ideally done with glucosamine etc. The meds can have longterm effects that are not good for an animals system. I use glucosamine for Shadow and he gets tablets only when he is having an acute episode, and then only short term.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2008, 09:30:04 AM »
He has a supplement with glucosomine but the vet said it would take months to show any effect and he is in a fair bit of pain some days so we are trying to keep him comfortable.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2008, 09:24:24 AM »
Have you tried more natural things like Glucosamine and Green Lipped Mussel?
Please spay your cat

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2008, 09:21:10 AM »
Hi Des, yes it was me.  He has half the recommended dose no more than 3 times a week.  It's a balancing act finding meds that don't clash or have bad side effects and yet keeping him  mobile and comfortable.  Sometimes I feel like I am giving him poison and it upsets me.  He is fast asleep right now in his furry house.  Has had his Metacam and can't have anymore now until next Wednesday

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 08:53:43 AM »
Metacam isn't good with cats with CRF, but was it you that had already discussed it with the vet? I know someone has in the past week or so.
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 08:48:17 AM »
Glad he's feeling better. I would keep up with the fortekor as I found missing odd days makes clapton ill so I have to make sure he takes it religiously. I hope it is just that as levels normalise in under a week and things only get better  :hug:

Maybe Lynn can advise on this but the Metacam leaflet says Fortekor should not be given with NSAIDS - and apparently Metacam is one - hopefully someone can confirm what is correct?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 08:51:17 AM by Mark »

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 05:58:40 AM »
That's great MaddiesMum.....hopefully once the metacam kicks in he'll be feeling tons better!  :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 05:17:13 AM »
Well he seems a little better touch wood.  He has been up in the night (I fell asleep) as he had moved out of his furry house and into his bed.  This morning he has had a potter round (is wobbly on his legs though), eaten his breakfast, had a drink, had a cuddle and now retired back to his furry house.  will keep monitoring him.  Didn't give him his Metacam last night so will do so today which hopefully may help with his legs.  Thank you all for your supportive messages, it really helps to be able to share the worry

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2008, 23:43:50 PM »
I hope Dragon feels better tomorrow, please let us know.

Thinking of you and Dragon. :hug: :hug:

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 22:52:07 PM »
Aww, fingers crossed he perks up soon
Please spay your cat

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
  • R.I.P.Tigger Sept95--30/1/08-much loved & missed
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 22:00:24 PM »
Hope he's going to be ok Maddie, as you say--you can't help worrying, let us know if he has perked up tomorrow, as i said in my last post--i know how you feel.
((((((hugs from me,Tigger & Meg)))))))))))))))
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 22:01:08 PM by chris91011 »

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 21:39:55 PM »
Well I spoke to the vet.  I didn;'t give him his Fortekor today because I wanted to see if he perked up so that I could say for sure it was the Fortekor causing it.  There has been no change though.  The vet said he must have it so I gave it to him and he ate it.

vet said ideally he should go down to the surgery BUT as he is eating, drinking, getting out of his furry house to wee and purring when I rub his chin and pet him that he doesn;'t seem to be desperately ill.  They said if he deteriorates to take him straight down but agreed with me that unless absolutely necessary it may stress him too much in his current state.  They said not to worry about him sleeping.  They said if he doesn't improve in the next 1/2 days they def want to see him.

It is very upsetting to see him so lethargic and weak but the problem is he has had an awful week with the renovations and the water and that has stressed him no end so is it a combination of the med and the stress, or is it the stress, or is it the med or is he ill.  Anyway will do what vet suggests and monitor him - am sleeping on the sofa tonight and hopefully he will improve.

Obviously I am worried (nothing is going to stop that). 

Offline chris91011

• Adult Cat
  • R.I.P.Tigger Sept95--30/1/08-much loved & missed
    • My Pet Site
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 21:34:53 PM »
oh Maddie, i know how you feel, any news yet? hope he is ok :hug: to you & Dragon.
Chris.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 19:18:02 PM »
Hope its only an early reaction to the medication which will get better very soon  :hug:

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 18:37:56 PM »
Hope he's OK. One thing the vet didn't tell me is when they first start taking Fortekor, they can be poorly for a few days - I think it's due to the raised creatanine or something. This soon goes.

Offline Gwen

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 18:31:46 PM »
Thinking bout you and Dragan :hug:
Love me,love my animals.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 18:30:24 PM »
He is no different, very lethargic and seems weak.  Still eating and purring when stroked but seems scared to get out of his furry house.  Am waiting to speak to vet at 7pm but I don';t think it is looking good.  Vets did say it could be the Fortekor as this sometimes makes them drowsy when they first go on it but I think this is more than drowsiness.

Offline gibraltarcat

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2008, 17:51:12 PM »
Do hope Dragan is doing Ok?  :hug: :hug: to you both.

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2008, 13:23:23 PM »
Just did that Pav and obviously they want him down there.  Anyway have agreed with them to leave it until about 4 and if not perking up any to take him down and they will fit me in.  I have to admit I am scared and anxious though

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2008, 13:10:34 PM »
Maybe you should call them and tell them about him,it might be the stress of last few days but is best to check with the vet.

Give lots of cuddles to Dragon from us. :hug: :hug:

Offline Maddiesmum

• Honorary Cat
Worried about Dragan
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 13:00:38 PM »
He doesn't seem at all well today.  No energy, barely getting out of his furry house and no purring.  He is still eating though.  I am wondering whether it might be as a result of all the stress he has gone through this week with the renovations and the flood?  Anyway if he doesn't pick up by this evening I am taking him to the vet.  Don't want to rush him there yet as that will make him feel even worse.

Link to CatChat