Author Topic: 100's of ferals evicted from olympic building site need homes  (Read 10490 times)

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline MrsR

• Honorary Cat
  • RIP Sylvester, Sofa & Bunty - my furbabies x
Re: 100's of ferals evicted from olympic building site need homes
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2008, 00:05:14 AM »
Signed, so very sad  :(

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2008, 23:46:23 PM »
I'm wondering about this, I can't see my name on there but it said on my response from Care2 that I was the 99th signature which is back in Sept 07.  Maybe you are only allowed to sign once  :sneaky:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2008, 23:28:30 PM »
Well I signed before JS and dont see me there, I am sure I didnt tick to be anonymouse!

If I dont appear tomorrow I will try again.......typed a good messsaage too grrrrrrrrrrr         

Offline madkittyrescue

• Super Cat
  • Sarah, slave to the 4 legged furball gang!
    • Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2008, 22:48:00 PM »
signed.  Really hope that they manage to help as many as they can.  Wish we were closer or had space to take some!   :'(

:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:
Sunny Harbour Cat & Kitten Rescue
Covering Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians

http://www.sunnyharbour.org.uk

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2008, 22:24:18 PM »
Signed and put the link on my Facebook wall. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2008, 21:42:29 PM »
Signed, this is so bad cos it should have been sorted out months ago  >:(

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2008, 21:23:32 PM »
Signed.  Hope every one of them will be saved and find a lovely family like Peter and Paul did!!

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2008, 19:34:57 PM »
Update, please sign the petition on the link :

http://www.celiahammond.org/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=3&MMN_position=3:3

UPDATE 3RD FEB:
There have been quite a lot of developments recently:

The Olympic Delivery Authority have allowed us a period of access on the Southern part of the site at the Nuttalls main site offices on the Bow Industrial Estate from the 1st of Feb to the 10th Feb, from 6.30 p.m until midnight. Good news! Tonight we caught a black and white cat which appears to be pregnant and matches the description of one that was reported to us a few weeks ago (see below). We are not yet sure if there are any other cats here so will be continuing nightly observation and trapping until the 10th. We are grateful to the O.D.A for this concession of access to the Southern part of the site.

It came to our attention that a mother and kittens had been seen recently at the Core Team Offices on the northern part of the site. We negotiated access to these offices and it turned out that the kittens had actually been seen last summer. Access was granted from the 21st January until 27th January and further extended until tonight 3rd February for us to try to trap whatever cats were there. However, the only cat that appeared to be in the immediate vicinity was a pregnant, long haired tabby cat of 7-8 months old, possibly one of the surviving kittens. We trapped her and she is now safe with us. Whilst on site we could hear male cats fighting, presumably over one or more females and by making enquiries we have discovered where this group are located close by. We must now negotiate with the O.D.A for access to rescue them and to have the midnight deadline for trapping removed as most of the cats are nocturnal and are not even seen until the early hours of the morning.

UPDATE 17th JANUARY: On the 15th January a meeting was held between C.H.A.T and the O.D.A. to discuss access to the Olympic site.
The O.D.A. agreed to formalise C.H.A.T's access to the Waterden Road on the Northern part of the site. This is the road that C.H.A.T uses to reach the bus garage at the far end of the road, which is the last company still operating, but which closes on 26th February.

The O.D.A agreed access to the already closed bus garage at the entrance of Waterden road should cats be seen by C.H.A.T or site employees before or during the soft strip prior to demolition.
C.H.A.T has cleared the whole length of the Waterden Road area twice, as new cats are turning up and appear to be those migrating from the Southern part of the site, which is now so devastated that any remaining cats will be constantly on the move as this alien environment changes almost daily. We have managed to recover a total of seven cats from just outside the Southern part of the site, by creating strategic feeding points beyond the security gates.

The O.D.A are adamant that C.H.A.T will not have access to the Southern part of the site. Not all cats will have died in the demolition or starved to death and we want to recover any remaining cats trying to survive in this terribly hostile environment.

WE HAVE RECEIVED REPORTS THAT A SMALL NUMBER OF CATS HAVE BEEN SEEN ON THE BOW INDUSTRIAL ESTATE IN THE VICINITY OF THE MAIN CONTRACTORS OFFICE. THIS IS ON THE SOUTHERN PART OF THE SITE AND WE ARE AWAITING A RESPONSE AS TO WHETHER WE WILL BE ALLOWED TO HAVE ACCESS TO RESCUE THEM.

It is in everybody's interests, particularly the cats, to bring this situation to a conclusion. If there is any hope of bringing the remaining cats to safety it must be done very quickly as every day that goes by reduces their chances of survival. With the impending kitten season upon us, those females which do survive will shortly be having kittens and the thought of kittens being born into this environment of demolition, excavation and earthworks is truly appalling.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 15:58:28 PM »
she is a pretty amazing woman she turned her back on a "glam" life style to help out animals, got to be good in my book - still nothing back from Ken or Boris but then there is a post strike I suppose

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2007, 15:56:57 PM »
saw a brief article in the Evening Standard about this last night. Apparently the Celia Hammond group has had some publicity - must have been the previous day when I didn't get a paper - about it. They have been inundated with enquiries from people wanting to help, generally in the way of re-homing. Nice to see there are still people out there who care.

I was reading about her - didn't realise she was a "supermodel" in the 60's

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2007, 08:09:56 AM »
thanks for tracking it down Gill, yes, that looks like what would have led to the follow-up article I saw.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2007, 23:54:16 PM »

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2007, 10:13:07 AM »
saw a brief article in the Evening Standard about this last night. Apparently the Celia Hammond group has had some publicity - must have been the previous day when I didn't get a paper - about it. They have been inundated with enquiries from people wanting to help, generally in the way of re-homing. Nice to see there are still people out there who care.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2007, 20:21:13 PM »
Definately individual letters, cos bc is right, standard letters have no effect.

I agree make it short and concise and had never thought about the question at the end but that sounds good.

OK someone find out where we write too or email.

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2007, 20:20:29 PM »
you tryin to keep me out of the quiz??!! Nah, it has the potential to conflict with my job and would be counterproductive as, like I said, standard letters don't get the attention they deserve cos the recipient reckons, if you don't care enough to make the point in you own words, why should they bother paying attention to your opinion By the way my job does not involve slaughtering kitties, but does require me to be on good professional terms with ODA as I am trying to extract large sums of money from them for my employers purposes  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2007, 20:17:16 PM »
Okay BC you have the job........just remember to take an hour and a half doing it  :sneaky:

Offline blackcat

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2007, 20:12:50 PM »
a standard letter has far less effect than a letter which is individual. Also, you should always ask your question, or at least intimate it, at the beginning of the letter. If they are being swamped, they will not get to the end of you letter, but will only read it to get the gist of your message. Be effective. Write clearly and concisely. And make it short. Anything more than a page, leaving a generous space for address, signature block and date, will not get the attention you seek.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2007, 20:10:17 PM »
lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll doubt it  :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2007, 20:06:57 PM »

...and if it end's with a question then they'l also have to reply  :wow:

Well I sent Ken Livingstone's office an email ending with a question but didn't get a reply. Ayway, the way this country is now I am going to be true Blue from now  :evillaugh:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2007, 20:00:01 PM »
Yes a master copy would be great  ;)

...and if it end's with a question then they'l also have to reply  :wow:
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 20:01:18 PM by Ruth (Bazsmum) »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2007, 19:58:56 PM »
Ok lets have the email for ODA on here and then we can all start emailing them  >:(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2007, 13:04:55 PM »
I just found this message from Celia on the dog pages (I wa searching "cat olympic" to see what came up. She s urging people to email the ODA (Olympic delivery authority) to get them to change their mind

http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?s=13d4718d27dd4990902e61522163f08c&showtopic=151951&pid=2161344&mode=threaded&show=&st=&#entry2161344

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2007, 10:37:31 AM »
Awww I think pictures will be in order!  :Luv: I know which type of guests I would rather have...  :evillaugh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2007, 10:32:58 AM »
thanks Dawn, I'll have a look a bt later but have a million and one things to do ready for guests checking in later  :( and need to get ahead as tomorrow is pretty tied up running millions (well 7  :evillaugh: ) kittens to the vet - that the stuff I would rather do though  ;D

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2007, 10:28:49 AM »
There are lots of media emails etc here Mark - some generic BBC news ones, not sure if they are much good? Lots of papers too:

http://www.mng.org.uk/gh/resources/media_email_fax_list.htm

I thought I kept a copy of the media contacts database from my last job but cant find it  :doh:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2007, 09:25:09 AM »
I have sent emails to ITV London, ITV National and Channel 4 news. I added that Ken Livingstone's office didn't even have the courtesy to acknowledge an email sent last week. I would imagine they would find this a "Human Interest" story but I won't hold my breath - lets hope a cat lover takes it up.

I also just sent one to Sky News. Trying to find a newsdesk contact for BBC as well.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 10:05:17 AM by Mark »

Offline Kittybabe (Ruth)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Lexy - Queen of all Kittydom
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 20:09:02 PM »
Just cross posting this link on the Petitions area:

http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php?topic=8094.0

Offline kelly-joy

• Cat Rescue
  • Hero Cat
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 19:31:34 PM »
I have signed. Has anyone contacted local newspapers and the tv the more media coverage we get the better.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2007, 16:28:08 PM »
I dont think that anyone stepped into Tony Banks shoes, he was one in a million.

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2007, 16:23:21 PM »
have sent a letter to Boris Johnson as well, he's probably in blackpool or where ever they are this week so I don't expect much to get done - don't we have any MP's who have stepped into the shoes of the late Tony Banks??  I know Anne Widecombe has cats but not sure if this is really her sort of thing, any ideas??

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2007, 12:13:51 PM »
I've written a proper letter, I'm not expecting a reply but you can try.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »
Did you email Dawn, I sent an email to Ken Livingstone's office 1st thing Friday but they haven't acknowledged it  >:(

Offline Dawn F

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »
I have written to Ken but perhaps we could contact Boris Johnson to stir it up a bit, he opened the Blue Cross in Lewknor that I help out at so he might have an interest

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2007, 18:41:11 PM »
Ok Dawn,if you could PM that.
I have 2 weeks off so would be fun to train into london.

Offline ginge66

• Distinguished Cat
  • Nigel R.I.P, 1989-2007
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2007, 18:33:45 PM »
I must confess that I have never considered feral cats occupying derelict buildings before and must say this story is so shocking to me, and so common reading through your posts >:( >:(
Have sent a small donation but am unable to sign the petition, will try again later.

I agree with what has been said earlier about informing the press, especially with all the bad publicity recently about how the money is spent/ wasted by the Olympic committee it really is a disgrace :censored: :censored:

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2007, 17:44:15 PM »
:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I was going to contact them to help out onsite but i dont have any construction certificates  :(

Isn't it worth contacting them anyway and asking........I have Celia's mobile number somewhere if that will help  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2007, 17:35:44 PM »
 :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

I was going to contact them to help out onsite but i dont have any construction certificates  :(

Offline Gail Bengal Slave

• Moderating Staff
  • Super Cat
  • My Darling Zak
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2007, 12:52:50 PM »
What an nightmare and why do they leave it all until they demolished their habitat which leaves them even more traumatised  :mad2:  :mad2:  These people should be made to pay to relocate these animals..........who the hell do they think they are  :censored:  I've only glanced at the link as I will want to get involved and at the moment, I need to get mine sorted before taking in any more  :sad no:  :sad no:

DD your house is small but heart is HUGE and will always be open to homeless ferals xxxxxxxxx

A Meow Massages your heart.

Link to CatChat