Author Topic: Rant and request for tips  (Read 14574 times)

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
Re: Rant and request for tips
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 22:02:53 PM »
well he may be skinny but he's not starving.  i'm wondering if maybe it's an old cat.  watching it eat i'm inclined to think it might have some dental problems but i havent investigated yet because i dont want to upset it.  having said that it's very relaxed.  i'm going to go back again tomorrow to double check that i have the right cat and haven't pinched somebodies elderly pet lol
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 13:27:07 PM »
Just checking to see how the little guy is doing? Hope he had a good night :hug:

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 02:40:00 AM »
Well done  :hug:

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
  • Slave to: Lupus, Jack, Fat Andy, Milky,Shenzy, Ollie, Teddy bear, Jemima Spider, Socks, Sam, Merlin, Mouse and Smudge
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 22:24:05 PM »
no idea on his age, older than a year definitely.  hopefully one of the neighbours will know.

i would be able to keep him for a while if they can check him over and give him a clean bill of health.  i just cant afford more vet bills at the moment but if they can cover that then he can lodge here for a bit
In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods;  they have not forgotten this  - Terry Pratchett

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 22:18:04 PM »
Well done, so glad you managed to get hold of him/her. Do you think you'll be able to keep him for a while if CP can't take him?

Offline pappilon

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 22:08:46 PM »
Bless you for helping him/her. How can people just move and not bother  >:(
How old do you think he is?

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 21:59:10 PM »
Well done! Hope you hear back from the rescues soon.

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 20:34:21 PM »
ok i got the b&w, he's at my house and he's eaten. i went back this evening just to see if he'd shown himself at all today but he hadnt. as i went to let myself out of the security door i saw a head peeping at me so went back to my mates to get a positive id. he was a bit wary but came for a little stroke and didn't object when i picked him up. so i got him into her kitchen and text my son to bring a basket, all the time feeding him my mates ham lol.  i say he but not sure of it's sex yet, don't want to stress him out. unfortunately i cant keep him separated from mine as my house is open plan and the only room with a door other than the bathroom is my kids room. he doesn't seem to be bothered by my dogs or the other cats and has eaten and purred. it is very skinny and has a couple of cat bites but they look dry and scabbed over and don't seem to be bothering him. he's quite long haired and you cant really tell how skinny he is unless you stroke him. haven't heard from CP yet but i'm not expecting to until after the weekend. i am going to do a letter drop tomorrow to see if the others need catching or if the people there are happy to keep on feeding them.  will try and get a pic on tomorrow

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 12:51:53 PM »
Are they approachable? It's a lot easier if they are. That's the first question.

Do you have rescue spaces secured for them? Or homes?

ive been to the flats this morning but only managed to speak to one person.  i saw a huge ginger that is possibly one of the old ladies.  the person i spoke to said one of the neighbours feeds him but doesnt let him in her flat.  he looks very healthy and obviously isnt urgently in need of anything food related.  if they are all as friendly as him then they shouldnt be hard to catch.  I stayed for 2 hours and didnt see any other cats. apparently the b&w that is possibly injured is always about but there was no sign of it last night or this morning. i want to check that the ginger i saw is actually a stray when i go back later.  i have a friend who lives in the block and shes promised that if she sees the b&w she'll try to get him in and call me.  i saw more than one doorstep with empty plates on them and one had a box with a blanket.  at the moment i'm concerned mostly about the one that might be injured because apparently it's very skinny.  i'm hoping that the ginger is one of the old ladies and that her neighbours are looking after them because if that's the case then if they are anything like him they are not in urgent need.  will be going back later so will keep you updated

i'm still waiting on replies from the CP and rescue centre i've contacted.

Offline Mymblesdaughter

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Xander and Buffy
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »
Hi

Sorry not much advice I can offer but I know my local rescue uses tinned pilchards or sardines because they are really smelly to attract them. That's how they caught the Mum of my two.

Really hope you manage to get them.

I've got one I'm feeding at work. He's a stray and I have no idea where he sleeps. The only thing I can do for him is put food down. I worry about him a lot especially now the weather is so cold. He's been on the waiting list at a local rescue for about six months. Often wonder why I'm the only one who seem to see these cats. Others seem to turn a blind eye.   

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:36:37 AM »
Are they approachable? It's a lot easier if they are. That's the first question.

Do you have rescue spaces secured for them? Or homes?

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline Bonkers Mad!!!

• Distinguished Cat
Rant and request for tips
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:42:10 AM »
hi, i am extremely worried about some cats in my local area.  there are 4 that urgently need a vet to
look them over.  1 was left around 3 months ago when the owner moved and didnt take it with them and 3 used to live with a old lady who died early in 2012.  they all lived in the same block of flats and i believe that
they are living out of the bins now.  i have no idea of ages or sexes.  i was only told about these cats yesterday and have not slept for thinking about them.  with snow just around the corner i'm worried about their chances of survival. i am going there today in the hopes of at least seeing them although i'm not optimistic about my chances of catching them.  i don't think trapping them is a good idea as the area is not particularly nice and i'm concerned that a trapped cat is easy prey for the local hooligans and i dont live close enough to keep an eye on them.

i'm going to do some door knocking today to see if anybody is feeding them but from what i've been told these cats are slowly starving and it's thought that the one who was abandoned is possibly injured.  i'm furious that this suffering is going on right under peoples noses and nobody is doing anything about it.  i dont know if the cats are approachable and i'm really worried that i'm not going to be able to help before something horrible happens.  ive contacted my local CP and animal samaritans and wanted to know if anybody has any tips for catching them quickly
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 08:43:38 AM by Bonkers Mad!!! »

Link to CatChat