Author Topic: Meet Ginny ...  (Read 3514 times)

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Re: Meet Ginny ...
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2007, 20:01:38 PM »
Well we're back from the vets and it's not brilliant news. The lump on the side of her face is a sebacious (sp!) cyst and their vet suggested that it should really be removed.

They've guestimated it (as ther pcs were down as the lightning storm took them out!) for the anesthetic, removal and sending off etc to be around £100 - I think this is clearly a re-homing centre guestimate mind.

We did ask if they'd be happy with our vets to do this, which they said they would be (as it'd mean less travelling for Ginny) however when our vet did the bill it came out at around £250!

We have said that we'd pay half the cost, even though it should have really been picked up on before we got her, but that's clearly one of the downsides of re-homing the way they do as they dont appear to have a full vet check prior to re-homing like the RSPCA do.

Anyway, after much discussion we've agreed that we'll have the treatment done at the rehoming centres vet (even though it means more travelling) as it means that the charity will only have to pay around £50, rather than £125 (and us also mind!). Their vet said the earliest they could do it was Monday 23rd July - the vet said it was nothing that that was too long to wait.

It's a pity she's got to go through surgery so soon after getting her, but she's a very strong and healthy cat so we know we've got no worries putting her through a general.

I'll probably update this under the Health section next.

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2007, 14:16:03 PM »
Aw, Ginny is beautiful, sounds like you're well and truly wrapped around her paws already  ;D

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2007, 13:09:18 PM »
Yes I would definately ring them about her blister and I would expect them to pick up the bill cos she is not yours yet.

Called the re-homing centre this morning and initially got the impression that they were trying to incinuate that she got it after she'd left the place - though my husband noticed it after a few hours and dont think a good scab can form in that short time - anyway I spoke to the lady that delivered Ginny to us who said it was fine for us to take her to the vets (where they pick the bill up) tonight - so we'll see what she's like being examined by a vet now - always a good test that!  ;D

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 23:54:26 PM »
So pleased you were able to give her a home, she looks lovely  ;D

Yes I would definately ring them about her blister and I would expect them to pick up the bill cos she is not yours yet.

Offline Ellie

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 19:52:45 PM »
Ginny is beautiful and doesn't look her age  :Luv:

Glad she is settling in so well  :)

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 19:43:00 PM »
She is gorgeous  :Luv:  I'm so pleased that she has been able to share some of Suki's love, it really does help to ease the pain of missing Suki  :hug:

Offline Baggy

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 17:58:22 PM »
Awww, she looks lovely and very friendly  :Luv:

Offline fluffycloud123

• Distinguished Cat
  • monkey and jaspers mummy xx
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 17:29:31 PM »
 :Luv: wow a ginger :Luv:

that fab so glad shes settled so well, and good for you getitng an older cat! :)

clare and gang x

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 17:02:35 PM »
 :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: Looking right at home  ;)

Offline Linda (Bengalbabe)

• Hero Cat
  • Gayzette Minerva
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 15:48:34 PM »
Well done offering up your home to this lovely lady - she is a stunner  :Luv:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 15:25:05 PM »
She's adorable!  :Luv:

And very well done for rehoming an older cat. They are so greatful, I've experienced.

I really think the best way to recover from losing a pet is to go out and get another needy one. So don't feel bad, feel proud!  :wow:

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 15:15:23 PM »
"My husband spent the night with her"
So glad we are not the only couple who sleep apart when a new cat arrives. Hope it doesn't have to last 5 weeks like it did when Freddie arrived with us lol.

Think i mistyped that  ;D I only meant that my husband spent the night with her, whilst I was out (have to admit I nearly cancelled lol). Thankfully she appeared to be more interested in exploring the house, spent most of her time in the study (she's already found her little place to snooze - behind one of the monitors in a corner). Glad though that Jasper (our 2nd cat) actually slept on our bed from around 4am this morning till I woke up at 8am - as that's what he usually does and glad that a new cat hasnt put his nose out of joint with regards to routine.

Just for interest, were you not home checked or did they do it same day?  Cramar Cat Rescue checked us same day when Aslan & Billy came to us. I must have looked desperate.

No we were not home checked prior to getting her. I think maybe the fact that the centre delivers the cats to you is their way of checking that you a. live where you say you do and b. that it is ok. The lady didnt really have a good look around, but we told her about how we've cat proofed the upstairs windows with veinetion blinds and that when Ginny does go out there are 2 of the plastic type houses which Sully uses (Suki bless her loved to be out in a house) - we provided the shelter out the back due to us renting and not being allowed to have a cat flap fitted to the front door.

I think she's still going through the excited I've got a new home phase at the moment, though she's currently behind the monitor having a snooze so think things are catching up with her.

She's a really lovely cat and think we're lucky to have been picked by her. Her coat is lovely and healthy, you can tell she's been looked after. The only thing we're a little concerned about is that on her left cheek is a scab and what looks like a small blister - though she doesnt stay still it's quite difficult to have a look at it! The lady did say if we had any problems to call her, so think I might ring her on Monday just to mention it (as if the cat requires any vet treatment they have ok it first and then they go to their own vets as technically the cat is still property of the rehoming centre - do you guys think that then means that if any treatment was required that the centre would pick up the bill in these first two weeks as we've not yet officially adopted her?)

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 14:56:44 PM »
She's lovely and looks to be enjoying her new home!

Offline Annie

• Adult Cat
    • Catster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 13:10:49 PM »
She's beautiful! Good luck with her  :Luv:

Offline Rosella moggy

• Fundraising/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Popeye & Elsa
  • Slave to: Noni Baroni, Dinah, Ruby, Groucho, Bobby. Popeye & Elsa
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 13:05:02 PM »
Aaw Bex, she's lovely. How stunning that she is already a lap cat. She obviously is very trusting. Hope the boys settle down quickly. Ginny will certainly provide a distraction from missing Suki. Good of you to take on a mature lady but she is beautiful so can easily see the attraction.

"My husband spent the night with her"

So glad we are not the only couple who sleep apart when a new cat arrives. Hope it doesn't have to last 5 weeks like it did when Freddie arrived with us lol.

Just for interest, were you not home checked or did they do it same day?  Cramar Cat Rescue checked us same day when Aslan & Billy came to us. I must have looked desperate.

Offline scattycat

• Adult Cat
Meet Ginny ...
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 12:34:56 PM »
As some of you may have read we lost Suki last weekend, she was an old cat and we gave her a good two and half years with us.

The boys appeared to be ok (they were not looking for her no more) and both my husband and myself could think about our little lady without bursting into tears - and we're aware it's only been a week, but we felt we were ready to re-home another for that reason, but also we wanted to get a 3rd cat in so that it would be slightly eaiser for the boys (they wouldnt get used to being just the two of them).

So, we went to another local cat rehoming centre. Absolutly wonderful place, cats in large pens, mingling amonst themselves so you can tell which cats prefer to be on their own!

Anyway, we went along to have a look at what they had - as we wanted another oldie female. There were 4 which were suitable, but one little cat stood out from the others - and we think it was also partly the case that the cat chose us not us choosing the cat!

Ginny is a friendly cat who the homing centre think is about 12 - 14 years of age. Her previous owner died last year and the family are now no longer able to keep her, and had been there for 3 months. She was such an affectionate cat whilst we were with her and we knew she was right. Whilst we were stroking her, there were two other cats which were having a hissing/growling session, and she just sat there!

Anyway, we said that we'd like to try to rehome Ginny, and were very surprised when we were told we could have her delivered Saturday tea time!  ;D

Ginny arrived and settled in quite quickly (found where the food and litter trays were). The boys reacted quite oddly. Jasper I think was very observant and just looked at her from afar, Sully we have a feeling he wondered if it was Suki as he went up to her a miaowed. Unfortunately Ginny replied with a hiss and we're having the usual hisssing/growling between them that we had when we introduced cats 2 and 3 to Sully.

Ginny spent the night very excited. I'd been out round a friends from 7pm, didnt get home till gone midnight and I didnt get much sleep so think I'll need a snooze this afternoon!
My husband spent the night with her, and I've attached some piccies of her, and you can see she's a definete lap cat!

We'll never forget our little Suki, but we wanted to be a 3 cat family as we dont want any of our cats to be left on their own.

The re-homing centre use the policy whereby you have the cat for 2 weeks, and then they will call you to see if the cat has integrated well you then officially adopt them. We think this is a brilliant policy as we have felt when we've rehomed from the RSPCA that they kind of say to you that once you've adopted the cat that's it. We hope Ginny integrates well, the cats have all managed to be in the same room (which we did not get when we introduced Sully to Jasper and Suki to the boys) so we hope that that is a good sign.

Bex

[attachment deleted by admin]

Link to CatChat