Author Topic: Growing till 2 - is this true?  (Read 6050 times)

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Re: Growing till 2 - is this true?
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 22:39:23 PM »
 :shocked:Oh my! I suppose I had better not rule out that extra sofa quite yet! :rofl: I guess it must depend on the cat, and on their diet - our boy has been on a very good quality diet since he was 5months (unsure about previously, as he was a rescue), and certainly grew fast on it. Hopefully he is either done growing, or if not, won't grow too much more!

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 19:45:10 PM »
Sofie was nine months when she arrived and a dainty tiny wee lass who had just weaned her first litter. I assumed she would stay that size, having had kittens, but no - she kept on growing for quite some time afterwards. Given that Smidgen is at 6 months, alrady huge, I dread to think how big he will be when he finishes. Will probably have to buy another bed :rofl:

Offline Christine (Blip)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Blip
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2007, 19:33:14 PM »
Blip came to us at eighteen months, a tiny possum-like creature, and certainly grew once she started being given nourishing food.  So yes, from my experience cats can grow until two years old or so.
I'm a member of the British Humanist Association, the national charity supporting and representing people who seek to live good lives without religious or superstitious beliefs http://www.humanism.org.uk/home

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2007, 19:16:21 PM »
When Bertie was about 18 months old and getting so big that we were considering building an extension, the vet told me he'd got to an age where he should stop growing in length and height but would continue to build muscle.  This seems to be true - he's now three and weighs 7lb more than he did then, but he isn't any taller or longer although people keep saying he looks as if he's "grown."

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2007, 18:28:51 PM »
love the close-up kitty pink-pads!  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline dolcetta46

• Super Cat
    • Oliver's personal page
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2007, 17:23:53 PM »
My Riley is a huge, long, lanky, string bean type cat and he loves nothing more than laying upside down in my arms while i rub/pat/stroke his tummy  :)  The scary thing is that he is only 8 months old - I can barely get through the door with him laying lengthways in my arms as it is  :Crazy:

I bet this is due to his particular diet of veggies and Always Ultra... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 17:15:37 PM »
:shify: I'm beginning to think there are several Riley-clones out there! :shify:
Does your boy "stretch" towards you if he's being held by someone? Here's an odd pics of Riley being cradled by my boyf, until he spotted his mom.... :rofl:

Riley only likes me to hold him like that  :Luv: He does try to reach out and grab anything/anyone that happens to be near him or walking past though :evillaugh:  He was only 5 months when this pic was taken, he is even bigger now  :)

Here he is a few weeks ago, gives you an idea of his gangly-ness  :evillaugh:

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 17:09:15 PM »
Doesn't it also depend on whether they're neutered or not?  Thought I'd heard somewhere before that entire toms often grow to be larger than their 'chopped' counterparts?

Thats true, if left entire they get the lovely big heads, like Sylvias Tabs  :Luv: (I wouldnt intentionally grow one tho).

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 16:51:58 PM »
 :shify: I'm beginning to think there are several Riley-clones out there! :shify:
Does your boy "stretch" towards you if he's being held by someone? Here's an odd pics of Riley being cradled by my boyf, until he spotted his mom.... :rofl:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 16:43:38 PM »
I have enough bother holding Riley as it is (he likes to be picked up and "babied" - cradled on his back getting his tum rubbed - you can carry him for ages!)  ;)

This is uncanny  :Crazy:  My Riley is a huge, long, lanky, string bean type cat and he loves nothing more than laying upside down in my arms while i rub/pat/stroke his tummy  :)  The scary thing is that he is only 8 months old - I can barely get through the door with him laying lengthways in my arms as it is  :Crazy:

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 15:21:04 PM »
Doesn't it also depend on whether they're neutered or not?  Thought I'd heard somewhere before that entire toms often grow to be larger than their 'chopped' counterparts?

I'd heard that, too - I think it also depends how old they are when neutered. My first boy was neutered at 3 months (he was getting an op for a fracture, and the vet neutered him at the same time) - he stayed very small (for a boy), and looked somewhat "feminine", he never got the broad head or "chops" of a typical tom, and looked very kittenish his whole life. Riley, by contrast, wasn't neutered until he was 6 1/2 months old, and he has gotten VERY big indeed! :shocked:

Offline alisonandarchie

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Archie's mum
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 13:43:19 PM »
I was wondering about growth a swell as Archie is 17mths old and still very tiny :innocent:

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 13:20:34 PM »

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Sabrina (Auferstehen)

• Super Cat
    • Bywater Paws
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 13:17:20 PM »
It depends on the breed.  Most moggies have completed their skeletal growth by 9-12 months, but they will continue to develop muscle.  Large breeds like the maince coon, however, aren't fully grown until about 4years old.

Poor Lisa with her Leo ;)

Lirael is a midget, the 8 month old kittens we've got are her size and she's 3 on the 19th!

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 12:55:27 PM »
I've had a few people now tell me that cats don't stope growing until they are 2 years old. Is this correct?

I think that is the Consensus of  opinion, but of course as with everythong in life there are always exceptions to the rule.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 12:24:41 PM »
Maine coons are soooo lovely - doubt I could cope, tho - I think it would end up way to big for my feeble girly arms :rofl: I'm rather gald he's probably done growing - I have enough bother holding Riley as it is (he likes to be picked up and "babied" - cradled on his back getting his tum rubbed - you can carry him for ages!)  ;)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 12:18:26 PM »
It depends on the breed.  Most moggies have completed their skeletal growth by 9-12 months, but they will continue to develop muscle.  Large breeds like the maince coon, however, aren't fully grown until about 4years old.

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I guess that would make sense - that they would do most of their skeletal / structural growing up to a year, and then build muscle and bulk the following year. Riley is still a big lanky lad, but his chest has got broader, and he has acquired his adult boy "chops", so his head and face look broader, too. ;D

Offline SpecialRed

• Senior Cat
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:12:39 PM »
Barry is 18 months old and I thought it was when they turned one. However he has filled out over the last few months and looksike a normal cat, whereas at one he looked like a big skinny Kitten!

Offline unseeliechylde

• Distinguished Cat
Growing till 2 - is this true?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 12:06:33 PM »
Hey guys!
Wondering if what I've heard is accurate - I've had a few people now tell me that cats don't stope growing until they are 2 years old. Is this correct? I know that they go on to "adult" food at a year old, so I always assumed that was when they stopped growing. I only ask because Riley, my 18 month old, is already a monster (though he has a very athletic, beanpole build) - lying down he takes up almost half a 3 seater sofa!  :shocked: We are thinking if he still has another 6 months of growing to do, we might have to move house or get another sofa! :rofl: :rofl:

Link to CatChat