Author Topic: Cats Protection  (Read 6049 times)

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
Re: Cats Protection
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2007, 19:33:10 PM »
Just to mention that cats often choose theor slaves  :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Michelle (furbabystar)

• Royal Cat
  • My Baby - Issey
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2007, 19:24:37 PM »
How far away is Cantebury? We'r fully prepared to travel as far as Reading area (Berkshire) to get our feline friend :)

Its not as far as Reading Steve (well prob the same distance once you get to M25)

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2007, 19:03:07 PM »
Especially if you live near coventry  ;)

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2007, 18:33:45 PM »
I hope I didnt come across as offensive, but im not really 'up' with animal charities and such like.
'Course you didn't - it's great to know that you're doing research into the best place to find a kitty instead of getting from the newspaper or a dodgy pet shop like so many people do.  Will you let us know how you get on?

Of course we will :)

Offline Ralph's mum (angie)

• Super Cat
  • Rainbow Bridge Babies Bob, Max and Ralph 🌈💔
  • Slave to: Harvey and Ruby the mutts!!
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2007, 15:59:25 PM »
:
Hi Steve :hi:

If you are in the West Mids, check out Coventry Cat Group - Angie from here is a foster for them - I have got two of my three cats from CCG  ;D

http://www.coventrycatgroup.org.uk/index.php
  :welcome: Steve and G/F, Not me another Angie  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl

I got Max from CP a nicer group you couldnt meet, good luck on you search for you new furbabes
Cats don't come when they are called,
They take a message and get back to you later.
                           Wilfred P. Lampton

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2007, 15:49:58 PM »
Hi Steve :hi:

If you are in the West Mids, check out Coventry Cat Group - Angie from here is a foster for them - I have got two of my three cats from CCG  ;D

http://www.coventrycatgroup.org.uk/index.php
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2007, 15:42:47 PM »
I know you're not too far from me - I'm in Walderslade (near Rochester/Maidstone)...........i'd just be far too tempted by more fluffy bundles  :Luv:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
  • Where are we supposed to sleep, then?
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2007, 15:04:38 PM »
Just looked at the Paws Inn website.........so many cute furrbabies needing homes  :Luv:  :Luv: - think its just as well that I like down in Kent as otherwise I think I'd end up with at least 4 more babies..........not sure hubby or my girls would be too happy  :evillaugh:

Canterbury is in Kent...  :ok: :oolala:

Offline Liza

• Senior Cat
  • My girls Cruz & Jet
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2007, 14:37:00 PM »
Just looked at the Paws Inn website.........so many cute furrbabies needing homes  :Luv:  :Luv: - think its just as well that I like down in Kent as otherwise I think I'd end up with at least 4 more babies..........not sure hubby or my girls would be too happy  :evillaugh:
People who don't like cats were mice in a previous life!!

Offline clarenmax

• FIV & FELV/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • My Bridge Baby Max, October 2000 - July 2009 xxx
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2007, 10:06:47 AM »
I agree Ela, from my experience, I went in search of a longhair or kitten, and was chosen by Max my FIV boy, who completely stole my heart  :Luv: 

Make custom Glitter Graphics

Poot, adopted 14th August 2009. I'm sure Maxy sent you to me sweetie xx

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2007, 10:05:00 AM »
I wouldnt go wtih your heart set on 8 week old kittens though, you

I agree, I think sometimes if you adopt a cat that has been badly let down by its previous owner/often owners, it somehow seems even more special and rewarding.
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »
How far away is Cantebury? We'r fully prepared to travel as far as Reading area (Berkshire) to get our feline friend

Ideally Cats Protection like people to adopt cats/kittens from their own area. Every branch in the country (260+) and 29 HQ sponsored shelters are full to bursting. To adopt from CP someone needs to come and visit you and I don't think a home visitor would be too pleased to do a home check for another branch when the local branch has loads of cats/kittens that would be ideal for the home offered themselves.

Whenever anyone phones me from another CP catchment area I always as a matter of courtesy give them the local CP branch phone number.

Also if another branch does home in another's catchment they are supposed to have a word with the Co-ordinater of the branch whose area they are homing in, again as a matter of courtesy.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:02:47 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2007, 07:28:07 AM »
Good on you for doing your research, and I am sure there are loads of rescues for you to choose from. I wouldnt go wtih your heart set on 8 week old kittens though, you never know what you will fall in love with when you get there, and adult cats will settle in just as well, and be part of the family.
Please spay your cat

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2007, 00:14:55 AM »
 :welcome: to Purrs  ;D

Loads of good advice from everyone for you.

Teresa has a spanking new website for you to look at  ;D ;D ;D ;

http://www.pawsinncats.com/.

There are many wonderful cats and kittens needing homes so you should have loads to choosefrom where ever you go.

Pink those two are just wonderful looking and hope they get looked at and a home very quickly  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2007, 23:44:26 PM »
Yep but if you visit teresa you might end up with 6 or 12  :evillaugh:

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2007, 23:36:11 PM »
How far away is Cantebury? We'r fully prepared to travel as far as Reading area (Berkshire) to get our feline friend :)

It's too far, Steve. As much as I want to see Apache and Squaw settled, there's equally lovable needy kitties much nearer.  :hug: :hug:

I think Teresa Pawcats is much nearer...  :-: But there are others as well...  :)

Anyway, any help or advice you need, you just ask us. You've come to the right place!  :wow:

Offline DaveD

• Super Cat
    • Tinting History
  • Slave to: Bramble and Lily
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2007, 23:25:39 PM »
The only advice I'd add is to only go to someone who does home checks. It shows that they care about the cats, and can help you to get the right cat(s) for your circumstances.

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2007, 23:25:25 PM »
DiddyDawn may even bend your ear. :evillaugh:

And what's that meant to mean  :sneaky:  :slap:

Welcome to the forum Steve, I hope you soon find those special furbabes, there are plenty out there needing homes and it's good that you're doing your research first.

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2007, 23:23:24 PM »

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2007, 23:22:59 PM »
I hope I didnt come across as offensive, but im not really 'up' with animal charities and such like.
'Course you didn't - it's great to know that you're doing research into the best place to find a kitty instead of getting from the newspaper or a dodgy pet shop like so many people do.  Will you let us know how you get on?

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2007, 23:21:21 PM »
Steve

We've got people actively involved in rescue all over the country on this forum.  ;) Stick you head in to the 'rescue' section and say what you're looking for - won't be long before you've got a long list of places to check out. DiddyDawn may even bend your ear. :evillaugh: Shame you're too far from Canterbury... my Apache and Squaw had their little cases packed.  :(

Susanne... they're 17 weeks.  ;)

Offline Steve1977

• Adult Cat
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2007, 23:15:06 PM »
Cheers for the fantastic replies. I hope I didnt come across as offensive, but im not really 'up' with animal charities and such like. So when I came across the Cats Protection website and saw how professional it was and how huge the place seemed to be (compared to other rescue homes) I was a bit sceptical - and so Im glad I came to a  place such as this one which confirmed i had nothing to worry about :)

Im based in West Midlands and we'r going to see if we can visit one of these places soon.

Once again, many thanks for the warm welcome!  :Luv:

EDIT: Also cheers for the suggesions on what age to get the cats from. It may sound hollow but me and my girlfriend desperately want children but before that we would like to get married and what with rising interest rates we wont be doing this for a few years and so we are yearning to look after something (infact, its quite overwhelming!), it will be nicecoming home and having something need our love and in turn, giving us a bit of affection.

We want a kitten because it will be our pet from the start and then the family pet when we do have children. Sure it might be difficult at first but we'r fully prepared for that. We used to keep Hamsters and Mice but we'r after something that doesent die after 2years or so - its so heart breaking when that happens. But after looking after small animals we now feel right to graduate to our feline friends. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 23:22:36 PM by Steve1977 »

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2007, 23:11:34 PM »
How old are they, Pinkbear?  They really are beautiful cats.  I'd like to think they'll find a home sooner rather than later.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2007, 23:11:09 PM »
I'm sure when they are seen they'll be off  ;)

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2007, 23:09:48 PM »
Pinkbear have those 2 actually had anyone viewing them ? for the life of me i cant understand why they havent been whisked away yet  :-:

They've only been officially up for rehoming for a week, Lynn. I've spent the last 6 weeks taming them.  :Crazy: I did have a couple who wanted them for ages and ages, but at the last minute changed their mind. Then today, another family was due but just didn't show up.  :shy:

So, no - no one has viewed them yet. But I'm hoping it won't be long... they've worked so hard they deserve a nice home.  :)

Offline Sam (Fussy_Furball)

• Marketing/Lost&Found/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Foxy (RIP), Zephyr (RIP), Rosina (RIP) & Oliver
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2007, 23:00:08 PM »
Hi Steve and  :welcome: to Purrs,

It's lovely to hear that you and your GF are doing your homework before you get your kittens.  As you have already been on the catchat site you have now doubt found the rehoming section (click on the map to find rescues in your area http://www.catchat.org/adoption/index.html)

Good luck in your Kitty search and please keep us informed on how it goes .... plus we will expect photos when you get your furbabes  ;)

If you have any questions or queries feel free to ask and we will be happy to assist.
In ancient times cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this.

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2007, 22:51:17 PM »
Pinkbear have those 2 actually had anyone viewing them ? for the life of me i cant understand why they havent been whisked away yet  :-:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2007, 22:49:07 PM »
Smidgen was 16 weeks when he arrived, and there is certainly no sign of him being a steady sober citizen. In fact right now he is driving me nuts because I want to go to bed and can guarantee there will be no sleep for me tonight!! :Luv:

I just can't help feeling a bit smug when I read things like that  ;D  After a year and a half of manic mosi, he's finally settling down a bit.  he's still a long way from being a steady, sober citizen but I've survived over a year of sleepless nights and you've got it all to look forward to  :rofl: :P

Piinkbear - those 2 are absolutely gorgeous  :Luv:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2007, 22:41:19 PM »
No pressure, Steve, but what do you think of these..?  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Aw aw awwwwwwwww, we'll have them if Steve doesn't want them!!  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2007, 22:40:27 PM »
Plus little kittens can be really hard work.  Bertie and Matilda were 6 weeks when they arrived and although they were lovely, they often kept me awake at night doing things like climbing the curtains and getting stuck at the top, crying for help, being rescued and then doing it again!!  :rofl:  When I lost Tilly it was too soon for another small kitten so I opted for Bella as she was near Bertie's age - never regretted it, she is great and needed a new home desperately.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2007, 22:39:13 PM »
No pressure, Steve, but what do you think of these..?  :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline blackcat

• Moderating/Auction Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Home of Smidgen, Sebastian and Billy.
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2007, 22:37:04 PM »
they also have the advantage of less smelly poos - kittens always seem to have most horrible smelly poos!! Smidgen was 16 weeks when he arrived, and there is certainly no sign of him being a steady sober citizen. In fact right now he is driving me nuts because I want to go to bed and can guarantee there will be no sleep for me tonight!! :Luv:

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2007, 22:36:46 PM »
Bella had actually been returned to Cats Protection by a family who had changed their minds about her once she grew a bit  >:(  When I contacted them, we had just lost Bertie's sister at 11 months old and I wanted a companion for a very lonely Bertie, and I was staggered by how many kittens in the 4-12 months age group were available in my area - I think Bella was one of six who the CPL desperately needed to home.

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2007, 22:32:40 PM »
I'd agree with that, berties mum

My 2 are 17 weeks now and I've been blown out twice after initial interest- I suspect the last folks found smaller kittens.  :( People either want an adult cats past the silly kitten stage, or smaller, fluffy bundles...  :shy:

Of course, older kittens do get homed eventually...  :)

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2007, 22:26:50 PM »
I don't know whether the CPL carers on here would agree with this, but when I adopted Bella from them, the carers in my area told me that the 4 - 12 month age group is difficult to home as people seem to prefer smaller, cuter kittens ... so maybe an older kitten is worth considering? Bella was 5 months when she came to us and brought us all the fun of a playful kitten without any need for litter training!

Offline lilycat

• Senior Cat
  • Lilycat
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 22:24:09 PM »
I got all 6 of mine from the CP and they do a fine job  ;D I've never heard any bad reports about them or the work they do...have you considered adopting an oldie? My Mavis was 10 when we adopted her and I have to say, after having her for 6 years until we lost her to Cancer, all my future pusscats will be at least 10.

There are a lot of pros to adopting older cats...PLEASE consider it.

:yes:  :cccooorrr: :yes:  :ok: :yes:
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 22:24:59 PM by lilycat »

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 22:21:15 PM »
Have only ever heard good things about Cats Protection, there are quite a few fosterers and branch co-ordinators that post on here so I'm sure they'll be able to put your mind at rest  :)  The branch which covers my area doesn't have a 'rescue centre', all cats and kittens are fostered in individual (unpaid) volunteers homes and I think this is the case for most of the branches in the UK.

Congratulations on being potential kitten owners  :)  I definitely vote for two aswell!

Helen has just saved me typing out a post as I agree with everything she has said (including the vote for 2 kittens!), so I'll just add  :welcome: to Purrs!

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2007, 22:15:35 PM »
Have only ever heard good things about Cats Protection, there are quite a few fosterers and branch co-ordinators that post on here so I'm sure they'll be able to put your mind at rest  :)  The branch which covers my area doesn't have a 'rescue centre', all cats and kittens are fostered in individual (unpaid) volunteers homes and I think this is the case for most of the branches in the UK.

Congratulations on being potential kitten owners  :)  I definitely vote for two aswell!

Offline berties mum

• Hero Cat
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 22:14:31 PM »
I had a feeling there were people on here who were CPL carers Pinkbear, but wasn't quite confident enough to say that in my previous post!  ;D

Offline Pinkbear (Julie)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 22:11:04 PM »
What part of the world are you from, Steve?  :shy:

If you are anywhere near Canterbury, you are welcome to come see us. (I've got a pair of kittens up for adoption right now!  ;) ) As berties mum says, many branches have no central cattery and all our cats are fostered in private homes. We match your requirements to the cats and kittens we have in our care, then you visit them in our fosterers house. We find it works better because cats are more likely to display their true natures in a normal domestic setting.

If you want to ask any questions about CP's work, ask away...  :)

Link to CatChat