Author Topic: Cat Insurance Renewal  (Read 6384 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: Cat Insurance Renewal
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 15:41:24 PM »
That's quite a large increase!  You could ring them and ask them why it has gone up so much, but I suspect they'll just say they've changed the way they've calculated the premiums and that some have gone up and some have gone down.  Mosi's petplan policy has gone up from about £9 to £12 and he's only 18 months.

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 15:38:49 PM »
Maisy is only just over 14 months old.  We were paying about £5.50 a month for her and it has gone up to £9.90 a month!!!
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 14:17:44 PM »
The no excess thing is a bit confusing, at the bottom of the policy documents it has the standard blurb about the excess being £50 or whatever it is then if you have opted for nil excess it says something like:  The excess in section whatever is reduced to nil.  So basically all policy documents will mention an excess regardless of whether you have opted for nil excess or not.

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 14:11:35 PM »
I think premiums tend to go up in relation to total claims to the company rather than or as well as individual claims, as well as increasing due to age.  Jaffa's premium with petplan certainly went up a bit each year even though I didn't put in a claim until last year when he was 9 years old.  Companies are always looking at ways to recalculate the way they work out premiums and they can go up or down depending on how they do it.

I think that you need to read the small print carefully re the no excess with M&S.  If you had no excess before you should still have it, but I think others on here in the past have had problems with the actual policy wording not being clear and have had to ring them up and insist on new documents being sent that make it clear there is no excess.

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 13:45:14 PM »
It might not be because you have claimed, I know others on here were saying M & S had put their prices up.  I still think that they offer the best level of cover and if you can get no excess then even better.  How much has it gone up to Marie?

M & S seem to be a bit random with their prices though, when I insured Riley and 'Kali' (thought Lucas was a girl!) it was £7.17 for a male kitten and £5.99 for a female kitten. I rang them up when I found out he was a boy and after much kerfuffle his premium was £5.94.  I asked why it was cheaper as I wanted to be sure I was paying the correct premium as I had visions of them not paying out if I needed to claim.  The guy checked with the underwriters and they said it wasn't a second pet discount that was just how much the computer had come out with.  The boys are obviously the same age and therfore should be the same 'risk' - so who knows!

Offline Marie

• Senior Cat
  • Maisy and Tommy
Cat Insurance Renewal
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 12:14:02 PM »
Got my renewal policy through for Maisy yesterday with M&S and the premium has doubled.  I know we have claimed for her but I didn't think this should affect the renewal price.  Also I'm not sure if we still have no excess like last year as the wording is hard to understand.  Tommy's renewal is due next month, it will be interesting to see how much his is as we have not claimed for him at all this year.
Marie, Maisy and Tommy xxx

Link to CatChat