Author Topic: Cat driving my mum insane.  (Read 6072 times)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
Re: Cat driving my mum insane.
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2007, 15:07:50 PM »
I'm torn as I love her so much - I know my mum would give her a great life but I don't know if I could do it.

It could be the begining of a new life for Willow. Its obviously easy for us lot to say it as she isnt our pet but it does seem a way to keep her happy and in the family.
The other option is to get a behaviourist to visit you, they seem pretty good at improving things without having to rehome any. I think your vet has to refer you.

Have we seen pics of Willow? I remember seeing Kylie, shes black isnt she?  :Luv:

Offline Mark

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
    • AnimalAid - Support Humane Charities
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2007, 13:31:41 PM »
She doesn't go out. She has more space than the other cats. She even comes down to the basement sometimes but kylie won't let he sleep in the bedroom. She was always a bed cat until about 6 months ago
DO NOT BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2007, 13:26:23 PM »
well in my opinion she must either be inscure about something or bored which i doubt seeing as she goes out doesnt she ? and she has toys and has all the guests to fuss over her aswell as yourself and ur oh

when molly was clingy it only lasted about 4 / 5 mths and once she had settled here properly it stopped and now she only comes to my oh to be stroked a couple of times then she is quite happy to just eat and sleep all day  :evillaugh:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2007, 13:22:34 PM »
mark when we first got molly she use to cling to my oh day n night and wouldnt let him put her down ,the vet said it was proberly because she was frightend or insecure about something ,
in the end it really got my oh nerves as he couldnt do anything anymore without molly clinging to him ,
how long have u had willow ? whats her background ? has she always been like this ?

if she wants u to constantly pick her up it sounds like is feeling scared or insecure  :Luv:

Had her for years and she's never been any different. She thinks she the person and wants to be the centre of attention all the time

I believe I am not interested to know whether Vivisection produces results that are profitable to the human race or doesn't. To know that the results are profitable to the race would not remove my hostility to it.  Mark Twain

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2007, 13:21:26 PM »
Thats the only thing I wouldn't miss - trust me.

I'm torn as I love her so much - I know my mum would give her a great life but I don't know if I could do it.

• Super Cat
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2007, 13:20:31 PM »
mark when we first got molly she use to cling to my oh day n night and wouldnt let him put her down ,the vet said it was proberly because she was frightend or insecure about something ,
in the end it really got my oh nerves as he couldnt do anything anymore without molly clinging to him ,
how long have u had willow ? whats her background ? has she always been like this ?

if she wants u to constantly pick her up it sounds like is feeling scared or insecure  :Luv:

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2007, 13:18:14 PM »
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Plus you will still be able to have contact with Willow so will help if your missing using the s.s....... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2007, 13:16:25 PM »
Sounds the solution to me Mark ;)

The only solution where Willow & Shelley are concerned is "simple solution"  :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2007, 13:15:32 PM »
I'm not sure about taking Shelley on as she has toilet issues. Also Kylie is a big bully and only a few cats can get on with her. Clapton is not at all agressive so she "allows" him to be around but if a cat gives her attitude, they pay th price and she can be really brutal.

I was just cleaning the dining room windows and willow was on the buffet patting my back to be pick up. She then hung over my shoulder purring. I had to stand on a window seat to fix the voiles and she didn't budge. She gets really upset when I put her down.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2007, 13:13:23 PM »
I'm not sure about taking Shelley on as she has toilet issues. Also Kylie is a big bully and only a few cats can get on with her. Clapton is not at all agressive so she "allows" him to be around but if a cat gives her attitude, they pay th price and she can be really brutal.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2007, 13:12:24 PM »
Sounds the solution to me Mark ;)

• Super Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2007, 12:39:32 PM »
I will ask everyone what they think - it seems like a good idea though. I love willow to bits but she is high maintenance. She was hassling me to be picked up when I was making breakfast this morning and if you ignore her, she actually looks upset  :(

awwwwww i wish i had a cat who wanted to be picked up all the time

my cats just wanna do there own thing unless we r talking about max every morning around 4am he has to come and snuggle up on my face and wake me up and he will not take no for an answer  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

i also think it would be a good idea if u had shelly and ur mum had willow ,
at least u both would still be able to see ur cats whenever u wanted  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2007, 12:33:22 PM »
I will ask everyone what they think - it seems like a good idea though. I love willow to bits but she is high maintenance. She was hassling me to be picked up when I was making breakfast this morning and if you ignore her, she actually looks upset  :(

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2007, 16:36:53 PM »
I think you and your mum could sort each others problems out. Your mum wants a lap cat to keep her company, Willow wants & needs 24hr attention.

Shelley needs a younger slave to tire out and you need a cat that doesnt stalk you.
And as Angie says your already in close contact.

Offline smudgepickles

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2007, 14:44:07 PM »
That would be a fantastic idea at least they would be able to see both of you still too

good luck whatever you decide Mark
x

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 11:35:25 AM »
I think you should try swapping willow and shelley first.
It sounds as though willow is unhappy and would prefer to be an only cat.
As this will keep the cats in the family and you do not lose contact you really should try it!

Now there is a thought, it could be the ideal solution.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2007, 11:36:50 AM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2007, 00:50:19 AM »
I think you should try swapping willow and shelley first.
It sounds as though willow is unhappy and would prefer to be an only cat.
As this will keep the cats in the family and you do not lose contact you really should try it!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2007, 00:11:03 AM »
I'll swap you Shelley & Willow for Smokie  :evillaugh:

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2007, 00:05:34 AM »
I've still got smokie Mark!

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2007, 10:27:11 AM »
I Think it would be better if your mum could let Shelley go and find the cat they would have been better off finding her originally - have you spoken to the CP branch to see what they could do?

I haven't spoken to them as I don't want to make arrangements in case she changes her mind. I spoke to her today as she was fine - I will leave the decision up to her.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2007, 09:37:58 AM »
Shelley is gorgeous, but I tend to agree that she doesn't sound like she was what your mum had in mind.

If your mum does contact the rescue, she isn't really giving up on Shelley, she's giving her the chance to be where she should. The right home will come along for her - she's a truly lovely looking cat. :)

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

• Super Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2007, 09:23:41 AM »
:catluv: shelly

ive always wanted a tortie :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2007, 09:09:02 AM »
We don't usually swap cats but in this case I think it would be the wisest thing to do and something the rescue should do as they got it so wrong. Quite possibly she would be doing the rescue a favour if she took in an older cat because as you know they are harder to re-home.

been jumping on her in the middle of the night and generally driving her mad.

I am sure you know that even  'golden oldies' are more than capable of doing this. ;D
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2007, 08:51:33 AM »
Naughty tortie!  :Luv:

She is gorgeous looking - reminds me of Gerti who hides when people come round (behind sofa etc) but Gerti is a friendly lap cat, just nervous.

Sorry to  hear your mum is still having problems Mark - sounds a bit like Shelley would be happier somewhere else. Its bad of CP to give her the wrong cat for her needs - they should be better with the descriptions. Our two from Coventry Cat Group exactly match the descriptions on the website.  :shy:
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2007, 08:09:34 AM »
I Think it would be better if your mum could let Shelley go and find the cat they would have been better off finding her originally - have you spoken to the CP branch to see what they could do?
Please spay your cat

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2007, 23:49:20 PM »
Part of me thinks that my mum should let her go as shelley will probably be happier elsewhere. Then my mum can get a cuddly oldy that just wants to sit on her lap and sleep on her bed.

Offline Catjane

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2007, 23:30:50 PM »
She is lovely but she won't settle and not very friendly. She was a rescue and was taken from a junkie's house.

Can't believe it!  She's the spit of my Meesha, who was also a rescue from a druggie person.

About the potential rehoming, I think it's important to consider what Shelley needs and wants.  If she needs a more active slave, then perhaps she might be happier in a more hectic home?  Gutting for your mum, tho  :(

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2007, 22:22:07 PM »
She is scared of people. When the doorbell goes, she hides behind the sofa. I don't know about animals - she was in a housefull before being rescued but she hasn't had any contact with other animals since then (apart from birds & mice  :evillaugh: )
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 22:22:25 PM by Mark »

• Super Cat
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2007, 19:30:21 PM »
She is lovely but she won't settle and not very friendly. She was a rescue and was taken from a junkie's house.

awwwwwwwww poor baby

does she like other animals ?

who isnt she friendly to ?people ?aniimals or both?

my molly isnt friendly (yet she loves the vet  :Crazy:)
but she does settle and doesnt cause us any bother compared to the other little buggars :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 19:23:46 PM »
God knows what they went through. I'm disgusted that they were allowed to keep some of them. I'm sure they aren't fed properly etc.

Offline Bazsmum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Bazzy Bazilla
    • The Animal Rescue Site
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 19:20:12 PM »
What a beautiful torti  :Luv:

I hope she hasnt been given anything naughty by the junkies.....or she may be a passive smoker!!! (not ciggies)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 19:17:01 PM »

• Super Cat
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 19:10:13 PM »
omg shes flipping gorgeous  :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv: :Luv:

tell ur mum to send shelly to portsmouth plzzzzzzzzzzzzz ;) ;) ;)

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 19:05:47 PM »
I think she is probably 1 now. CP told my mum she was 18 months old last year but we don't think she was.

Here is a pic I posted on catchat. Not very good as my mum took it with a regular camera and I scanned it.

http://www.catchat.org/discus/messages/15/new_converted_shelley2-61458.unk

« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 19:06:12 PM by Mark »

ccmacey

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 14:32:58 PM »
How old is Shelly Mark?

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 14:29:52 PM »
I just spoke to her again and she is much calmer. She said cats must have 6th sense as for the first time ever, She sat on the sofa and Shelley stretched out against her leg  :Luv: as if to say "I'm not a bad girl really mum".  :Luv:

Also, my mum had picked up the baby sparrow with a small towel and left it on the garden table and it has flown off. There ws no sign of blood  ;D

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 13:26:41 PM »
It did cross my mind re Willow. When the other 2 aren't around, Willow is such a lovely cat but she turns into a demon when the other 2 are on the scene. I would miss her terribly but she may be happier with my mum. I suggested it a long time ago but my mum said she couldn't take the risk.

I will call her later and see. I knew that when I said I would call CP, she would stop me  :evillaugh:

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:43:05 PM »
i sympathise mark.  It does sound like its a combination of being mismatched in the first age but also your mum as you say over reacting to things which for various reasons is quite normal and common in the older ones. 
We live with this all the time with my gran who ok she has alzheimers but still i know what its like.

Your mum is now very attached and will feel awful guilt if shelley were to be rehomed but at the same time can this go on, the cat is likely to always have her personality and be lively for quite a few years whereas your mum bless her may increasingly over react to situations quite increasingly in the next few years. 

I dont know if this is at all a good idea but....................(thinking out loud) would willow not be happy with your mum ?  She sounds like a quiter cat who only pee's because she doesnt like other cats..Or would the peeing be too much of a risk to pass over to your mum, sorry dont mean to offend but if that was a possibility willow still then stays in your family. Of course that still leaves shelley needing a new home.

Offline Mark

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Clapton
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
My mum does tend to overreact to thingsd thesedays but I know she wanted an "old lady's cat" She said that Shelley divebombs her in the night when she is asleep etc and she has palpitations. Its a difficult one - I offered to call the rescue for her but she said she hates the idea of dumping her. Personally, I think she would be better off with more active people.

It was awful as the phone rang while I was cooking so I ignored it. about 5 mins later I checked the message and she was hysterical - I thought something terrible had happened. She said it was about the cat and to call her asap. I had visions of Shelley getting out and being run over or something.  I quickly served my guests their breakfast and phoned her. She was calmer by the end but I just don't know what to do. I told her to take Shelley back and get a docile oldie - I got an earbashing for that  :(

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:45:04 AM »
I'm really sorry to hear that things haven't settled down and that Shelley's still not really the cat your mum wanted.  Not sure what to suggest as I'm sure your mum is attached to Shelley now and wouldn't want to rehome her - I seem to recall that was one of the problems last time?  That your mum was fond of her despite the problems?

Link to CatChat