Author Topic: are my kittens rare  (Read 6124 times)

Offline Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
Re: are my kittens rare
« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2007, 07:40:08 AM »
I think mosi and cody would be rather similar, BUT ...... nooooooooooo way could i put up with a mosi alarm clock  :rofl: :rofl:  Mind you cant see you puttin up with cody bed wetter  :evillaugh:

Too right!

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2007, 20:09:44 PM »
AH HAAA..i was right LOL..if ya scroll down a few posts i asked that and wondered why diego (dora's cousin) wasnt the name for oscar..I have a two year old in the house  :evillaugh:

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2007, 20:05:32 PM »
lol of the kids porgram dora the explore because thats exactly what she do's lol,

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2007, 20:01:16 PM »
Your quite right to ask and be curious, Some breeds do display fairly "unique" traits to that breed, thats certainly true of the "laperms" anyway which is what cody is.
Many of us here have had indepth chats in these types of subjects so your not alone in your interest.

I'm glad dora settling, perhaps she does just need a wee bit extra security just now... You never did say where you got her name from ?

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2007, 19:55:21 PM »
hi no the reason I was asking about potential pedigree is not because of breeding purposes purely curiousityand I wondered about the personality of breeds wondered if they were like dogs, I don't know much about cats hence being here lol,

also dora has calmed down a bit not as amny accidents , And she has become a lot freindlier I made a big fuss of her yesterday tried to make sure she feels safe and not scared,

thanks

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2007, 15:09:24 PM »
I think mosi and cody would be rather similar, BUT ...... nooooooooooo way could i put up with a mosi alarm clock  :rofl: :rofl:  Mind you cant see you puttin up with cody bed wetter  :evillaugh:

ccmacey

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2007, 14:10:32 PM »
Exactly Susanne, they are all different in there own little ways, like people.  ;D  You cant say the difference between mogs and peds because they are all cats little people in there owners eyes.

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2007, 14:00:38 PM »
I've never met a cat without bags of personality.  I think what we mean when we talk about a cat having personality is that that cat has personality traits we like.  And that will be different for each of us.  One person's lively and fun is another person's destructive and annoying, one person's chilled out and loving is another person's boring and stand offish  ;D    I certainly wouldnt say pedigrees don't have as much personality as moggies - anyone who says that has never met Mosi!  Totally bonkers but sweet natured with it.

I would rather talk cats and men over babies any day

Drop the men and I'm with you!  Men aren't really that interesting to talk about (apologies to male posters!) but cats are an endless source of fascination.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 14:01:58 PM by Susanne (urbantigers) »

Offline forever_missing_my_boys(Lisa)

• Super Cat
  • MY LOVE MY LIFE MY EVERYTHING =MY GSD TODD
« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2007, 13:59:37 PM »
I dont think a cats personallity can be judged by its breed, its more the way a cat is treated. All my cats are mogs and all have different personallitys, A cuddly one, a quiet one, a slusshy one and a little s**t! But they are all cute in there own little ways, they are like people but dont have the nastyness in them.  ;D

awwww

yea they r little people in fur coats  :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:
MUMMY TO TODD THE DOG AND MOLLY,BAILEY,BRIDIE,FLOSSY
,PICKLES,MAKOSI AND MAX THE CATS
 I :catluv: CATS

( A Kitten/Cat is for Life )

( A LIFE IS A LIFE WHEATHER LAMB OR MAN )
NO ONE LIFE IS MORE PRECIOUS THEN ANOTHER

FOREVER MISSING MY PRECIOUS BRIDGE BABES SNOWY AND BUBBLES :candle:

ccmacey

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2007, 13:54:43 PM »
I dont think a cats personallity can be judged by its breed, its more the way a cat is treated. All my cats are mogs and all have different personallitys, A cuddly one, a quiet one, a slusshy one and a little s**t! But they are all cute in there own little ways, they are like people but dont have the nastyness in them.  ;D

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2007, 13:45:31 PM »
There is a women down the road who owns a russian blue weird looking thing it is and not to be messed with ..kind of scary looking !
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2007, 13:19:02 PM »
thats actually odd you say a russian blue hippy..i have known 2 or 3 of them, 2 stand out in particular as VERY odd cats and both their owners (man & woman) SOUNDED like the cats and personalities matched identically LOL.  I could forgive one cat as she was not too greatly controlled hyperT (as was the owner im convinced LOL)

Offline Cheesecat

• Honorary Cat
  • Slave to: Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Wizzles
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2007, 13:18:44 PM »
I used to be good friends with a woman who had a blue russian. It was the most peculiar cat I've ever met, especially when it was a kitten - all legs and long body. It grew into a hauty, stand-offish cat.
Unfortunately, the friend had a baby later, and was all baby talk  :innocent: :tired: I preferred it when we talked cats and men! So the friendship deteriorated.   :cheeky:

:rofl: I would rather talk cats and men over babies any day!  ;)
Cheese, Gerti, Doc and Kitty Von Bizmark (Wizzles) ^Lucas^(??/97 - 21/11/07)
To think I might not see those eyes, makes it so hard not to cry, and as we say our long goodbyes, I nearly do.

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2007, 13:16:11 PM »
I used to be good friends with a woman who had a blue russian. It was the most peculiar cat I've ever met, especially when it was a kitten - all legs and long body. It grew into a hauty, stand-offish cat.
Unfortunately, the friend had a baby later, and was all baby talk  :innocent: :tired: I preferred it when we talked cats and men! So the friendship deteriorated.   :cheeky:
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

• Super Cat
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 13:08:06 PM »
Try to get them neutered/spayed at five months. I do hope that you weren't hoping that they have pedigree in them in order to breed from them. I hope I've misunderstood you.

They'll make lovely pet cats for you and your gf, and moggies are, in my opinion, vastly superior to pedigrees - more personality. All my cats  have been moggies and proud of it!  ;D

I think moggies are better looking than most pedigrees ( except bengals  :evillaugh: they r gawwwwwwwwwwwwwjusssssssssssssssssssssssss)

ive never had a pedigree cat and never will have one so i cant comment on the personality really

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2007, 13:02:37 PM »
pedigrees - more personality

I think that must really depend on the individual cat, i have both and my extrovert pedigree has an abundance of personality that my moggies present and some past havent had in the same scale.  like all individuals though they all have strengths and weaknesses in different areas i suppose.

• Super Cat
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2007, 12:59:58 PM »
Rob hows it going with dora peeing on the clothes and carrier bags etc ?
i hope shes using her tray now  :evillaugh:

Offline Hippykitty

• Super Cat
  • Victoria, Lucy, Cydric,
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2007, 12:57:55 PM »
Try to get them neutered/spayed at five months. I do hope that you weren't hoping that they have pedigree in them in order to breed from them. I hope I've misunderstood you.

They'll make lovely pet cats for you and your gf, and moggies are, in my opinion, vastly superior to pedigrees - more personality. All my cats  have been moggies and proud of it!  ;D
Cats were once gods; they have never forgotten this, nor have the people they own.

Offline Littlebobo

• Hero Cat
  • Yumi, Moggchops, Mister and Chalky !!!
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2007, 12:21:17 PM »
I have to grey Classic tabby Grey Moggies and I think that the are rarest cats in the world ..well to me anyway  :rofl: :rofl:

I love Grey cats and i love tabbies so what a better combination for me ..I hve to say that DORA is gorgeous !!
Fuss me Fuss me ..Come on I have things to do like Eating and sleeping !

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 09:48:54 AM »
just had a chat I have confirmed the dad is not a pedigree just a blue short hair, think my gf got her wres crossed when she went the rescue lol still gorgous kitties

I am very surprised that the rescue did not ask that the little ones were neutered/spayed. All the rescues I know explain why cats need to be neutered/spayed. But at least you are now going to get them ’done’. If when the time comes cost is an issue Cats Protection give vouchers towards the cost. If your local branch won’t help you although there is not reason for them to refuse. Please let me know.

but there are health benefits to both sexes by being left unsprayed

I know what you mean but I read it as it as it is best not to  spay. which I know is not what you mean.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 12:24:38 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2007, 08:10:07 AM »
from what my gf says white and brown

Offline Desley (booktigger)

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Molly, my wonderful babe
  • Slave to: Lucy
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2007, 08:07:46 AM »
Doesn't mean that they are right with teh father though - females can mate more than once, it improves their chances of being pregnant. So unless the cat was indoor only wtih only one entire male, it could be anyone. What colour was the mum cat?
Please spay your cat

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2007, 20:38:11 PM »
the rescue know the people that handed the kittens and mother over as shecouldnt cope the mother then went back to the owner and the kittens to us,

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2007, 20:31:15 PM »
I kove blue cats and they are cute.

It will be interesting to see them when they are older but I reckon a bristish shorthair has benn involved somewhere  ;D

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 20:25:29 PM »
i meant to say earlier, you dont have toddlers in your house by any chance do you ? If so i wonder why you didnt name her brother diego  :evillaugh:

ccmacey

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 20:20:48 PM »
They are cute, Dora is a little love.

I have a grey tabby too and let him outside, Im not going to say the next line, that would be risking my chances  ;)

Offline Millys Mum

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 19:28:28 PM »
just had a chat I have confirmed the dad is not a pedigree just a blue short hair, think my gf got her wres crossed when she went the rescue lol still gorgous kitties lol

How would the rescue know anyway! They are gorgeous   :Luv: :Luv:

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2007, 16:04:28 PM »
They are beautiful  :Luv: I think grey (or blue as it's referred to in the pedigree world) cats are a bit rarer than other colours but not terribly unusual.  It is a lovely colour though.   I think gene pools can be quite localised as in some areas there seem to be lots of ginger females but in others they seem much rarer.  Some people might consider a grey cat more valuable and think they can get more money for one than for a regular tabby so I suppose they run a slightly higher risk of being stolen.

I'm glad your'e going to get them both neutered, beautiful as they are.  We all have lovely looking cats but if we bred from them all there'd be even more homeless cats around :(

Offline Ela

• Royal Cat
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 16:03:33 PM »
they are both getting done due to being siblings and the amount of cats that go hemeless each year it would not be fair to add any more to the list

You only have to read Mammary Cancer article - a tribute to Blackie Mammary Cancer article  in the General section to know why females need spaying,  also males need neutering. Not  long ago we had 38 unneutered toms tested 35 were FIV+
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 16:07:37 PM by Ela »
RULES ARE FOR THE OBEDIENCE OF FOOLS AND GUIDENCE OF WISE MEN.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2007, 16:02:48 PM »
Rob, thank you for saying you will do them, and I hope when the time comes you do -there isn't just the population issue to consider, but there are health benefits to both sexes by being left unspayed.
Please spay your cat

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2007, 15:51:24 PM »
thanks for the info , i realy didn't want to get them done as osacr is a lovely looking kitten and , I would love to breed him lol but , they are both getting done due to being siblings and the amount of cats that go hemeless each year it would not be fair to add any more to the list

Offline Dawn (DiddyDawn)

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2007, 14:45:22 PM »
Rob, they are gorgeous  :Luv:  :Luv:  I would agree that greys are more likely to be nicked than "normal" colour moggies but as already pointed out, there are other dangers out there as well.  If you can keep them indoors or provide them with a safe cat proofed garden, that would take away any concerns of anything happening to them.  On the neutering front, my vets won't neuter under 6 months, and I usually wait until such time but any  :oolala: business will need to be nipped in the bud, and bearing in mind, even when a male has had the chop, he can still be fertile for a few weeks after.

• Cat Rescue
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2007, 14:34:53 PM »
Rob - cats are different to dogs when it comes to breeds, their personality will be what it is, as you dont know who the parents are, and even if dad had been a russian blue, it might not have made any difference to their personality. We had a litter brought in last year, the boys came round within a week, and were rehomed within 2, the female (Shadow) was with us for 4 months!!! I agree with Lynn, I would see if your vet will neuter younger than 6 months with them being siblings, and if not, do be careful with them.
Please spay your cat

Offline CurlyCatz

• Purrrrrfect Cat
  • "Cody"
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2007, 13:09:59 PM »
I was just going to say as cute as they both are they looked "normal" to me.

PS on the same line as non pedigree cats = moggies = domestic short hairs obviously the same applies to long haired but they would be DLH instead.

Be aware also at this time of year kittens can become sexually active fairly young so you may need to get them neutered sooner than the 6 mnths if you notice any odd signs.

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2007, 21:55:40 PM »
just had a chat I have confirmed the dad is not a pedigree just a blue short hair, think my gf got her wres crossed when she went the rescue lol still gorgous kitties lol

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2007, 21:41:09 PM »
ye I will keep an eye on them maybe feed them seperate
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 21:42:54 PM by robjb19 »

• Super Cat
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2007, 21:34:34 PM »
awwww
the boys are usually bigger than the girls  :evillaugh:
yea try and feed them seperate when u arent there to supervise to make sure dora gets her fair share  :evillaugh:

im always here to supervise my cats main meals
if i wasnt then only 1 would eat and the other 6 would starve
as my cat molly would eat the lot
she was 5.5kg last time she was weighed and i swear shes got even bigger  :innocent:

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2007, 21:28:38 PM »
o well lol, oscar is growing so fast he's dwarding dora lol hes so strong and very muscla,I think we may need to feed them seprate I think oscar is nicking dora's food

Offline Team Svartalfheims

• Super Cat
  • Minxy Moo
    • Svartalfheim's Norwegian Forest Cats
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2007, 21:26:36 PM »
If she's stripy then she is mackeral tabby. A lot of breeds of cat come in blue so the colour won't narrow it down I'm afraid lol.
You can visit my cats at http://www.svartalfheim.co.uk 

Offline robjb19

• Adult Cat
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2007, 21:23:52 PM »
hard to say realy I would say fading stripes , oscar has got some very faint stripes but you would have to look realy close they look more like riples, but any way it snot a big deal, we no they are moggies but just tyring to clear up whats in them just because th rescue swear the dad was pedigree hoped he was a russian blue lol lol lol
« Last Edit: May 27, 2007, 21:24:48 PM by robjb19 »

Link to CatChat