Author Topic: Wanted ad on Freecycle.  (Read 6474 times)

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Daisy Fuzzlebug.
Re: Wanted ad on Freecycle.
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 11:15:20 AM »
I can do, I tried looking for their policy on animal ads but couldnt see anything.

I will try and email them and just ask what their view is, if they say animal ads are fine I might use that line about it not being appropriate for 'animal ads on a site meant to be saving items from landfill....'

will see how I get on. I'm just hoping the lady doesnt take my email as spam and actually visits the site, I know they have over 50 kittens at the moment  :(

My local one has a sticky at the top of the Freecycle board,this is the one for my area;

Animals on Freecycle There has been a few animal being offered on Freecycle over the last few weeks and I thought it would be best to clarify a few points about this.

The allowing of Posts offering Animals on Freecycle is not forbidden and whether or not to allow these posts is up to the Group Moderator.

As the NorthDown-Ards-peninsula Group Moderator I decided to allow these posts provided:

The animals are not to be used for breeding purposes. There is no money exchanged etc as with all other postings.

I would also advise where possible that the animal owner takes the animal to the new owners home. This way they will at least be able to make sure that the animal is going to a good home and will be cared for.

I would prefer animals went to good homes if their current owners can no longer look after them instead of them being neglected or taken to the USPCA. The USPCA etc are of course good organisations but unfortunately I dont think there are enough adopters to cope with the amount of animals they look after.

If anyone does feel strongly about this decision please contact me and let me know.

And with Xmas coming up dont let your kids pressure you into getting a new pet - Remember a pets for life not just for xmas etc :-)
center]Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html
[/center]
[img

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
I can do, I tried looking for their policy on animal ads but couldnt see anything.

I will try and email them and just ask what their view is, if they say animal ads are fine I might use that line about it not being appropriate for 'animal ads on a site meant to be saving items from landfill....'

will see how I get on. I'm just hoping the lady doesnt take my email as spam and actually visits the site, I know they have over 50 kittens at the moment  :(

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Angiew

• Purrs Registered Cat Rescue
  • Honorary Cat
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
fif you also report the ad to the moderator?

Offline Mojo

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 08:50:40 AM »
Sorry to drag this thread back up but my local freecycle I spotted an ad saying 'Wanted-Kitten for my five year old girl'  >:(

I have emailed her saying 'Please please please look at Shropshire cat rescue's website, they have many kittens etc etc' and said that I used to volunteer there and how stuffed they always were..

I am not sure of my local FC's policy on animals but I dont really care if I get banned etc.  :innocent:

I did good yes???  :shy:

Add Glitter to Pictures

R.I.P My beautiful Mango xx 13/05/2006 - 01/11/2009

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »
way to go Tan.

Being on the receiving end of all the calls from the public, I view everyone as evil and vile and wait (hopefully) to be proved wrong.
We have a duty of care to our animals be they our own or fosters, and seeing day in why animals are given up or abandoned means that you get very sensitive to it.

Ask any rescuer what they think of the phrase "get rid off" - even though i is one I still use when talking about homing occasionally.

We know and see all the potential pitfalls and dangers and would be foolish to ignore too many of them - even in our desperation to get homes.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2011, 21:46:24 PM »
Fire Fox, I'm sorry you're offended by peoples reactions. I do understand what you're saying and I try hard not to think the worst of people as my first response. :shy:

Mervyn, you didn't do anything wrong posting this. :hug:

Carrie, Jack,Toby and Parsley ~ Love and miss you all always.x

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2011, 21:27:22 PM »
Thanks,I did send the OP of the advert a polite pointer towards the ASSISI animal sancturary before I reported the post to the Freecycle mods.
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££  :wow:
[/center]
[img

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2011, 21:20:48 PM »
I'm kinda sorry I started the thread now,it's sort of peed a lot of people off I soppose.Sorry.

Hey, don't be silly Merv  :hug: It would be a dull world if we all agreed on everything all of the time  :hug:

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2011, 21:20:03 PM »
No need to apologise Merv  :hug: It is a sensitive subject and can bring out our different feelings but it's good to know how others feel about things.

Offline Tan

• Administrator/Shop Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
    • Purrs Forum & Shop
  • Slave to: Marl, Garf, mr Blue, Gizzymo, Rio,Ochi,Ben, Bow & Arnie
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2011, 21:17:32 PM »
Sometimes it is very easy to pre judge people and it depends on what experiences we have had in our lives which way we do tend to judge others.  I always want to believe that everyone has good intentions and cares.  I want to believe that cause thankfully i have had experience of good people most of my life. But others have different experiences esp peeps that work in rescue hooman or animal.  They see much more cruelty and can find it harder to see the good in people with 1st impressions.

When i adopted Ochi & Rio (RIP my lads  :hug: ) from Brenda at Bmth CP,  i met her 1st when going to see the babes needing homes. My 1st impression of her was that she was a bit rude and very "unfriendly", she basically ignored me only speaking as little as possible and i could feel she was judging me as if i was not worthy.  It wasn't until she got to know me and felt happy that i dearly adore animals that she started to be nice.   I understand through this forum and Cat chat that she has the cats interests very very much at heart and that is why she is like that on 1st contact. so what i am trying to say lol  is that it really depends on what life experiences you have on how you judge other people or what they write.

It's why on this thread different people have taken the advert text in a diff way.  I think the best way to help is to contact the advertisers politely just to let them know to try rescue centers , they may not even thought about that option? But i also understand that like me meeting Brenda, it can be "worrying" to approach a rescue knowing that you will be judged and some avoid that by going to private home adverts.  Noone is wrong, ie the rescues are only making sure the cats are going to a good home and i hope that most people that are apprehensive about approaching a rescue can realise that.  :) :hug: :hug:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:06:54 PM by Tan »

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 20:57:04 PM »
I'm kinda sorry I started the thread now,it's sort of peed a lot of people off I soppose.Sorry.
[/center]
[img

Offline CuteCats

• Distinguished Cat
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2011, 20:41:54 PM »
Probably they have just placed an ad as it is an easier way to get a cat / kitten.  Unfortunate for the rescues but true.

Offline Liz

• Cat Rescue
  • Royal Cat
  • Here come the boys!!!!
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2011, 18:50:32 PM »
Some folks want kittens so they can fit in to the home set up, some adult rescue cats can't fit in to a busy house if they have come from a single person household less noise etc

Then again some folks can't cope with kittens and rehome them and then lo and behold get an older kitten in the hopes it will do the job

A very tricky subject but some folks make the sacrifice and give their cats everything others don't and moan about the cost of everything from food to toys to vets fees and then discover that the vet won't allow instalments and this can mean the animal has to go - we have wonderful vets but pay in full every visit on OH's credit card!

We don't go on holiday, we grow a lot of our own food, live in different countries 40 odd weeks of the year but the Clan want for nothing and our vets fees for the month of June due to injuries and the loss of our darling Gypsy have amounted to nearly £1000 - July will be a month of salads and cheaper food for the 2 humans the cats will continue as will the dogs on expensive food as its all in the cupboards and garage - bought in bulk to get it cheaper
Liz and the Clan Cats and Dogs

Offline Gill (sneakiefeline)

• Rainbow Bridge/Rescue/Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • Misa at 4yrs old and new with me
  • Slave to: Misa, Sasa, Franta Napoleon RIP, Ducha RIP and Lupin, Kocka RIP
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2011, 14:14:59 PM »
Thank you Js , thats exactly what I am trying to get across.

I now withdraw from this thread because its getting stupid.

We are all entitled to our own opinions, so lets leave it there

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
  • Slave to: Tallulah & Bridge boy Noah Pesto-chops
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2011, 12:02:55 PM »
If that is what Gill and or anyone else thinks then, once again, conclusions have been drawn without any foundation; just like you I have read two lines that don't say anything much at all. It's possible she can offer a loving forever home, possible she will get bored within a year, possible that she is dog baiting, possible she cannot afford the adoption fee, possible she has failed a homecheck, possible she thinks all adult rescue cats have behavioural problems, possible she has read about the thousands of unwanted kittens being born this year, possible she wants a kitten as a playmate for her existing young cat, possible she had a very negative experience with a local rescue. You are all getting offended by your own vivid imaginations and projecting your prejudices onto a complete stranger.

Lilylau: which specific comment are you annoyed about?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook
http://apps.facebook.com/catbook/profile/view/10311818

Offline lillylau

• Senior Cat
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2011, 11:40:11 AM »
Why cant people who have young children not have cats, I have 4 cats 2 moggies, I have a baby 1 year old and 2 girls 8 and 6 I cant see why people with young children cant have cats are kittens, The girls learn how to treat the cats, we never leave the baby with the cats and she is being taught how to stroke the cats, we are low income we get by I pay my vets bills I have insurance, JUST ABIT ANNOYED BY THIS COMMENT

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2011, 10:45:54 AM »
I think what Gill means is you're trying to think the best of people and we're all without really considering kind of thinking the worst. I'll admit when I see adverts like  that my instinct is to get a bit riled. You're right, though - some folk who are a perfectly good home get turned down by rescues for the daftest reasons. I know when I took on Carrie I approached the local CP first; who told me we lived too near a main road for them to place a cat. (The main road in question was in a little village and hardly had any traffic on it....) Carrie came from the local RSPCA after they did a home check and were satisfied she'd be well cared for.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 02:19:46 AM »
I partially agree with you Firefox cos I know that people have been turned down by rescues for no good reasons but afraid I am suspect of adults who say in a freead they want a kitten for their child, why not a cat?

I think we are all jumping to conclusions, including yourself as none of us know anything about this person, so why misguided or badly worded?

I think we are all just saying why we are suspicious and giving our opinions based on experiences of our own and mine are definately aimed at back street breeders but am suspicious of any advert like the one stated.

What conclusion do you think I have jumped to?
:'( My beautiful Noah rescued 13/02/09, adopted 11/10/09, taken 11/02/11 :'( You deserved so much more.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 20:08:47 PM »
if you can't afford a cat you shouldn't have one - can't see any need for debate there.

Its a different matter if you have pets and then have problems - thats where the pdsa/blue cross come in.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 19:35:13 PM »
I do apologise, I agree with you about this being an error of judgement. I think when people post wanted ads on free sites for animals my usual reaction is to point them in the direction of an appropriate rehoming site. I'm aware that most rescues, if not all, are full beyond maximum capacity. :hug:

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 16:40:02 PM »
I partially agree with you Firefox cos I know that people have been turned down by rescues for no good reasons but afraid I am suspect of adults who say in a freead they want a kitten for their child, why not a cat?

I think we are all jumping to conclusions, including yourself as none of us know anything about this person, so why misguided or badly worded?

I think we are all just saying why we are suspicious and giving our opinions based on experiences of our own and mine are definately aimed at back street breeders but am suspicious of any advert like the one stated.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 15:51:40 PM »
I can categorically state I myself have knowledge of: 2 cats, 2 hamsters and 1 snake who definitely didn't have any checks when they were listed on my local Freecycle. I know this because they all came here and I was asked nothing.....

Noni now lives with Rosella, and Ember with my cousin. Both agreed for me to do checks for peace of mind and I get regular updates from Rosella and visit Ember.

The small animals live with me. The risk to me is too great, I'm not judging people on a low income; I am one. I am judging people who won't try and find a safer rehoming alternative for their animals. :hug: :hug:

The negativity was directed at the person advertising to receive a kitten NOT someone advertising to give away a kitten to the first person to apply no questions asked. I asked where that negativity and conclusion jumping came from and my question stands. When did we start attacking people for making a small error of judgment? Some people HAVE tried and failed to find a safer alternative, not everyone can hold onto the cat until a space on the waiting list becomes available - how many rescues/ branches have empty catteries, fosterers sitting twiddling their thumbs and a very healthy bank balance?  :(
Lulu's Catbook

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2011, 15:23:59 PM »
I can categorically state I myself have knowledge of: 2 cats, 2 hamsters and 1 snake who definitely didn't have any checks when they were listed on my local Freecycle. I know this because they all came here and I was asked nothing.....

Noni now lives with Rosella, and Ember with my cousin. Both agreed for me to do checks for peace of mind and I get regular updates from Rosella and visit Ember.

The small animals live with me. The risk to me is too great, I'm not judging people on a low income; I am one. I am judging people who won't try and find a safer rehoming alternative for their animals. :hug: :hug:

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2011, 15:07:16 PM »
Have you forgotten that there are Purrs and CatChat regulars who have been turned down by rescues, are out of work, earning minimum wage, paying vets bills by installments, using the PDSA, downshifting brands of cat food? Would you prefer we all handed our cats back? Or are we excused because we are part of the Purrs/ CatChat elite?

I am aware of the problems with the freeads as I read Purrs, and I don't agree with living creatures being treated as commodities any more than you do. But until all rescues/ branches make their policies more realistic and/ or get government funding I am really not sure what the alternative is, short of neutering all cats retrospectively with the assistance of Doctor Who and his trusty tardis. I cannot see that there are sufficient homes which love cats, not renting, have outdoor access, not on a busy road, no young children, work part-time or not at all, financially comfortable and so on ad infinitum. :(

Gill: then the negativity needs to be aimed at the BSBs and not someone writing an innocuous if misguided advert. Just because someone wants a kitten for their son does not automatically mean they are going to re-advertise it in a year or two.

Jiskefet: How do we know this advertiser cannot afford a donation? How do we know it hasn't been a considered decision? Tight budget does not equal broke or incapable of managing your finances. The idea of the person being on a tight budget was an unfounded assumption, there is no evidence of that in the advert.

Jackspratt: how do we know that the person who offers a cat won't make any checks? How do we know they aren't someone who was adopted by an already pregnant stray? Someone who cannot rehome the kittens via a rescue because they are all full? Someone who cannot afford to neuter a whole family of cats so is trying to be responsible by splitting the females from the males ASAP? Someone whose indoor cat escaped? Someone who couldn't find a vet to neuter early and wasn't able to keep one cat indoors but let others out? Someone who has just received the letter from the PDSA regarding the change of policy affecting pedigrees?
Lulu's Catbook

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2011, 15:00:57 PM »
Yes JS I could be anyone but she doesnt care,,,,,,,,,,,the cat and all its wordly possessions......a covered litter tray and two metal dishes will be waiting for me to collect next week.

We have only spoken by email and her replies to my questions come back in 3 or 4 words.

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 10:06:34 AM »

There are just too many cats out there that need homes and its getting worse and worse and I think RSPCA for example should start concentrating on education and education and education.

Sorry think have gone off topic.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UK-Law-Ban-breeding-of-domestic-animals/172009112863151

unless anyone can find one already started!

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
I asked what she would like to know about me and was told nothing!

So there weren't any checks? You could've been anyone and it didn't matter.

Everyone knows my views on this topic; I don't feel a "controlling the level of landfill" site is the place for animals to be rehomed. If there were some form of control in place then maybe. You're  right, checks can't always guarantee anything but at least people know they've tried to home an animal safely if they make a bit more effort. To just hand an animal over with no concern at all is abhorrent to me.

Great response from admin about this, mervyn. :)

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 00:19:19 AM »
I part agree with you JS but checks do not show up everything and I know the birman I am going to hopefully bring home was delivered personally by the breeder........a check I guess.........but then he wasnt neutered as promised and about 7 months later she doesnt want him any more and think she has been using him for breeding.

I asked what she would like to know about me and was told nothing!

I was prepared to get the vet to provide a reference as so far away.

I now feel that there is no safe way for kittens to move but I think I am just being very sensitive at present and we can only do what we can do.

There are just too many cats out there that need homes and its getting worse and worse and I think RSPCA for example should start concentrating on education and education and education.

Sorry think have gone off topic.

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 22:56:26 PM »
Wow guys, where did all that negativity come from??  :Crazy: You don't normally jump to conclusions - many people are on a tight budget, many get turned away from rescues without good reason.

I agree some folk are genuine and will give an animal a home that needs it and cherish him or her for the rest of their existence. HOWEVER with no checks in place it's too easy for people who aren't genuine to slip through and harm animals. I have no issue with people rehoming an animal without money changing hands - after all, an animal is beyond monetary measure. But to have no checks to me is dangerous. :hug:

Offline Jiskefet

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Catweazle, Tosca, Xena, Wobbel, Romeo, Connor and Mowgli (and Pinkie, Roesja, Steffie, Tuppence, Jiskefet, Precious, Daisy,Spetter, Klaatu, Gaudi, Josje and Ricky at the Rainbow Bridge)
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 21:49:59 PM »
If you are on such a tight budget you cannot even afford a donation, how will you afford vet bills if the pet is ill?
Besides, a rescue pet has been seen by a vet, it had its shots, is usually chipped and, if old enough, has been neutered.
Just figure out what that would cost you if you pick up a 'free puppy'or kitten.
Besides, animals are not goods, so they should not be traded or given away on internetsites intended for trading and swapping.
Having a pet - and deciding where to get it - should be a well-considered decision, and these sites are often used by people who are breeding (often inbreeding) for profit, and by people trying to get rid of unwanted or unintended litters.

We have a similar site in the Netherlands called Marktplaats (market place), and they do allow ads for pets.
Many of the pets advertized are bred commercially under very bad circumstances. People get a puppy or kitten supposedly from a one-off litter raised in the family home, and in truth they get sickly inbred pets  kept in a shed or attic, who are allowed into the house only when prospective buyers come around.
And there are people who simply buy or collect a pet on impulse and dump it on the same site within days or weeks.

My friend once saw a lovely kitten on this marktplaats, but when she tried to phone the owner, the kitten had just been given to someone. The very next day it was offered on marktplaats again, this time by the new owner. The very same kitten, within 24 hours. He 'didn't get along' with the other cat.

We went there at once and collected it, it was a long drive, but I am glad we got him away. The cats got on perfectly, just some mild hissing every now and then, but they were both sleeping in hte same room when we arrived and were totally relaxed. The first day, two cats who had not even been properly introduced, just thrown together in the living room, that was wonderful. But these people didn't know anything about cats, even though they had had the other cat for some time.  so they just dumped the kitten again. Not a single question about housing, experience with cats, nothing. You want it? It's yours.

The kitten has been with my friend for over 5 years now, and he is super.
But these things happen if you can pick up a kitten the way you pick up a second hand book, on impulse. If it turns out to be no good, you just dump it again.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 21:51:24 PM by Jiskefet »

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 21:15:18 PM »
Mine has come from looking at ads for a birman and seeing so many backstreets breeders and people who have a cat and then just want to sell it for no good reason.

They are cute as kittens but then the novelty has gone once they are no longer little cute and fluffy.

And then there are those selling their cats at about 8yrs and they still havent been neutered and those wanting unneutered cats.

Once my new birman is home and safe, I never want to see another ad again cos they break my heart and have only looked at birman ads, not at all the others and whilst I have looked at 44 -66 ads a day, mostly the same ones, I cant beare to think how many moggy ads there are.

Offline Fire Fox

• Hero Cat
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 20:49:22 PM »
Wow guys, where did all that negativity come from??  :Crazy: You don't normally jump to conclusions - many people are on a tight budget, many get turned away from rescues without good reason.
Lulu's Catbook

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 19:59:50 PM »
After I reported the post to the Mods on Freecycle,I received this e-mail from them.Good on them!!

it has been brought to my attention that a good number of you are against passing of animals on freecycle so as moderator of the site i have made the decision not to allow the passing of animals unless previously authorised by myself on this site
[/center]
[img

Offline JackSpratt

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 19:53:43 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=49750691113

Good time to post this link up....Our local Freecycle allows animals and it drives me mad.

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 17:53:18 PM »
Suspect they have  no idea how to do it properly and how much it costs................sorry am very cynical now  :-[

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 17:49:25 PM »
Just did Ang, Gill I was thinking that or they'd had a home visit that failed.My take is if they can't afford the donation,then how can they afford to look after the kitten/cat?..
[/center]
[img

Offline Angiew

• Honorary Cat
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 17:40:35 PM »
most freecycle don't allow pet ads and even then most will not allow wanted posts - did you complain to the mods?

• Purrrrrfect Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 17:37:47 PM »
THey dont want to pay a donation!

Offline mervyn7451

• Senior Cat
Wanted ad on Freecycle.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 16:35:41 PM »
Just seen this ad on Freecycle...Grrrrr... >:(

"My son wants a tortoiseshell kitten if any one has one that can go to a
 good home."

http://groups.freecycle.org/NorthDown-ArdsPeninsula_Freecycle/posts/12181105

Maybe I'm been to picky but Freecycle is'nt the place to look for a pet,especially when the is the ASSISI three miles from the advert's location & the CPL about 9 miles!

ANIMALS ARE NOT TOYS!!

EDIT;

Just sent her a message thru Freecycle asking her to try the ASSISI or CPL...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 16:56:06 PM by mervyn7451 »
[/center]
[img

Link to CatChat