Author Topic: Approved Catteries in Manchester?  (Read 6013 times)

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
Re: Approved Catteries in Manchester?
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2011, 23:36:05 PM »
When I lived in ALtincham I used a fabulous cattery at Stretford, unfortunately cannot remember the name of it as it was 12 years ago.
It was quite close to the little shopping centre there but down  a side street at the bottom of the road and then you turned down a lane and through a 5 bar gate. it had beautiful gardens ,lovely pens and was really quiet , she also kept one or two of the big bob cats.
What a coincidence!
That was Jeff who was part of the Achates Group, Our old cat Dusty was mated with his Blue point Birman  which was how we got our two old dears Teycha and Schmoney, he used to have Snakes and a pond with Newts in it too!

It was lovely there -i left Oscar (RIP) there 2-3 times and he was fine and i used to ring up to check on him and they didn''t mind -although ringing from Mexico twice they thought i was mad ! .
I think the lady also bred persians too .

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
  • Slave to: Smudge
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2011, 19:58:41 PM »
Youre very welcome. Helen wouldnt have said anything but Im the local big mouth  :sneaky:

Im in the tower blocks in Blackley(was near the clough) if youre nearby and fancy a chat? Or I will take you to Helen for a look see
love
Tab
Small world, I live near the clough, round the corner from Booth hall hospital. Whereabouts are you? My sis is gonna take me up to the cattery you recommended sometime next week, but thanks :)

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2011, 19:15:47 PM »
Youre very welcome. Helen wouldnt have said anything but Im the local big mouth  :sneaky:

Im in the tower blocks in Blackley(was near the clough) if youre nearby and fancy a chat? Or I will take you to Helen for a look see
love
Tab

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 19:10:15 PM »
Hi Marie
I live in Blackley and although I have a friend who pops in I can really recomend Leestock Cattery. I say that as Helen who owns it is on here and I used to 'help' out.
Its very safe and clean, run by a cat lover and any 'odd' requests you have Helen will usually allow so if you want to ring half way through for an update thats fine. Helen is happy to snuggle, brush and generally spend time with any pud that wants company. I say that as when my Amber goes in she apparantly has a personality transplant as I leave so I tell Helen about my lovely cuddly pud and she gets a growling nightmare  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

PS this is Helen I dont think she'll mind me 'outing her'  :evillaugh:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37185.0.html
Hiya Tab, I like the sound of that, think that may just be the one!  :thanks:

Offline tab

• Super Cat
  • Slave to Amber
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2011, 17:56:52 PM »
Hi Marie
I live in Blackley and although I have a friend who pops in I can really recomend Leestock Cattery. I say that as Helen who owns it is on here and I used to 'help' out.
Its very safe and clean, run by a cat lover and any 'odd' requests you have Helen will usually allow so if you want to ring half way through for an update thats fine. Helen is happy to snuggle, brush and generally spend time with any pud that wants company. I say that as when my Amber goes in she apparantly has a personality transplant as I leave so I tell Helen about my lovely cuddly pud and she gets a growling nightmare  :evillaugh:
love
Tab

PS this is Helen I dont think she'll mind me 'outing her'  :evillaugh:
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,37185.0.html

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2011, 20:39:11 PM »
Whereabouts in Manchester are you?

I used to use Tom's Cattery in Tottington near Bury.

http://www.tomscattery.co.uk/contact.htm

I haven't used any cattery for a few years though as I haven't been away so no need, therefore it's a few years since I have used the one above.  I did rate it very highly when I used it mainly because the staff were wonderful and had a good understanding of cats and cat behaviour and always seemed to notice if anything wasnt' right.  My Jaffa is a nervous cat and doesn't like being left at a cattery but they were so good with him and did manage to slowly bring him out of his shell.  He never loved going there but he coped ok with it and I think that was down to the staff and how they interacted with him.
Thanks Susanne I'll put it on my short list lol  :thanks:

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 20:36:14 PM »
Thanks so much for the replies. I live in Blackley, North Manchester but I will travel that bit further if the cattery is a good one. I just need to know he'll be well looked after really. Hate the thought of leaving him in one for a week but don't think the pet sitting thing is going to work out as he loves company & a fuss, still not decided yet, it's stressing me out lol  :doh:

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 10:22:14 AM »
When I lived in ALtincham I used a fabulous cattery at Stretford, unfortunately cannot remember the name of it as it was 12 years ago.
It was quite close to the little shopping centre there but down  a side street at the bottom of the road and then you turned down a lane and through a 5 bar gate. it had beautiful gardens ,lovely pens and was really quiet , she also kept one or two of the big bob cats.
What a coincidence!
That was Jeff who was part of the Achates Group, Our old cat Dusty was mated with his Blue point Birman  which was how we got our two old dears Teycha and Schmoney, he used to have Snakes and a pond with Newts in it too!
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Online Susanne (urbantigers)

• Moderating Staff
  • Purrrrrfect Cat
  • PA to Mosi & Kito
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 01:24:06 AM »
Whereabouts in Manchester are you?

I used to use Tom's Cattery in Tottington near Bury.

http://www.tomscattery.co.uk/contact.htm

I haven't used any cattery for a few years though as I haven't been away so no need, therefore it's a few years since I have used the one above.  I did rate it very highly when I used it mainly because the staff were wonderful and had a good understanding of cats and cat behaviour and always seemed to notice if anything wasnt' right.  My Jaffa is a nervous cat and doesn't like being left at a cattery but they were so good with him and did manage to slowly bring him out of his shell.  He never loved going there but he coped ok with it and I think that was down to the staff and how they interacted with him.

Offline bunglycat

• Honorary Cat
  • Ginny B.Winston, Fifi, Smartie ,Bungly,Sophie,RIP
  • Slave to: Pandora , Cody, Smudgie , Blueberry , Angel and Merlin . RIP. Ginny B , Winston , Smartie, Bungly and Sophie and Fifi
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 00:47:38 AM »

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 21:46:10 PM »
Hopefully you'll get some personal recommendations and you can go and have a look and see what you think. Like I said my cattery was lovely it's just that my two boys are not suited to a cattery environment.

If you're considering a petsitter I wouldn't let him out at all as it's just not worth the risk of him not coming back because he's miffed that you've left him and he's not bonded with the petsitter.
Ahh yeh that's a thought, keep him in for the week. Can you tell I'm new to cats! lol
Your Tiggy is lovely he looks like one of the neighbours cats that Smudge has taken a shine to & likes to follow around  :innocent:

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 21:43:40 PM »
http://www.achates.co.uk/
This one is in Cheadle Hulme near Manchester Airport and is owned by a good friend of my Husband, he also does collections which is very handy.
Thanks I'll keep it in mind along with any other recommendations  :thanks:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 21:41:07 PM »
Hopefully you'll get some personal recommendations and you can go and have a look and see what you think. Like I said my cattery was lovely it's just that my two boys are not suited to a cattery environment.

If you're considering a petsitter I wouldn't let him out at all as it's just not worth the risk of him not coming back because he's miffed that you've left him and he's not bonded with the petsitter.

Offline lornab

• Senior Cat
  • Slave to: Monty and Moses.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 21:37:10 PM »
http://www.achates.co.uk/
This one is in Cheadle Hulme near Manchester Airport and is owned by a good friend of my Husband, he also does collections which is very handy.
Please join the Purrs save a life draw - £2 a month is all it takes!
Help the rescues to help the cats in their care plus the chance to win £££ 
http://www.purrsinourhearts.co.uk/index.php/topic,38217.0.html

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 21:34:01 PM »
:welcome: to Purrs Marie  :)

We have quite a few members in Manchester so hopefully you'll be able to get a recommendation of somewhere nearby.

Playing devils advocate here, are you sure you'd prefer a cattery rather than a petsitter coming in twice daily? I put my two cats in the cattery for the first time when they were just over a year old. They were indoor cats at the time so were not used to strangers. The cattery was absolutely lovely, all mod cons and very luxurious and I took lots of familiar toys/beds for them but when I got back from holiday the lady told me how one of them had been weeing in their bed  :hairrasin: I walked into the pen and they were all over me but then my friendly confident boy hissed at the cattery lady when she came near. I'm certain she wasn't horrible to them as she was a lovely lady and the cattery comes highly recommended it's just he was so stressed by it all that he hissed at her  :shy: They'd always been impeccably behaved at home so I was shocked by the bed wetting and hissing!

Since then I've had petsitters or a relative coming in twice a day to feed them, scoop the poop etc and when I've got back from hols they've been much happier.

P.S I'm sure you know it but little Smudge is absolutely stunning  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:
Hiya Helen, thanks for the reply, I'm really not sure what to do yet, I was thinking of asking my sister or a neighbour to look in on him but I only let him out for an hour or so each day & keep my eye on him (I watched him run up the tree at the back of my house this morning & then fall out of it! nearly had a heart attack, he just walked off as though nothing happened!) So I can't expect them to watch him everyday for an hour while he's out chasing flies! lol
I've read mixed things about catteries, I can't bear the thought of leaving him as it is. I'll have to have a good think what to do.
& thanks yeh he is gorgeous, I could look at him all day! :Luv2:

Offline Tiggy's Mum

• Save a life draw/Commercial Assistant/Moderating Staff
  • Royal Cat
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 21:20:38 PM »
 :welcome: to Purrs Marie  :)

We have quite a few members in Manchester so hopefully you'll be able to get a recommendation of somewhere nearby.

Playing devils advocate here, are you sure you'd prefer a cattery rather than a petsitter coming in twice daily? I put my two cats in the cattery for the first time when they were just over a year old. They were indoor cats at the time so were not used to strangers. The cattery was absolutely lovely, all mod cons and very luxurious and I took lots of familiar toys/beds for them but when I got back from holiday the lady told me how one of them had been weeing in their bed  :hairrasin: I walked into the pen and they were all over me but then my friendly confident boy hissed at the cattery lady when she came near. I'm certain she wasn't horrible to them as she was a lovely lady and the cattery comes highly recommended it's just he was so stressed by it all that he hissed at her  :shy: They'd always been impeccably behaved at home so I was shocked by the bed wetting and hissing!

Since then I've had petsitters or a relative coming in twice a day to feed them, scoop the poop etc and when I've got back from hols they've been much happier.

P.S I'm sure you know it but little Smudge is absolutely stunning  :Luv2: :Luv2: :Luv2:

Offline Marie74

• Kitten
Approved Catteries in Manchester?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 21:03:36 PM »
Hiya, I'm new here so not sure if anything has been posted about catteries before, I did have a quick look but couldn't see anything.
I'm looking for a good cattery in Manchester but want to make sure it's one I'd be a little less stressed leaving my kitten for a week (he's 6 months now, will be 9 months when I go on holiday) so any recommendations would be great.
I'm also a first time cat owner so this site is a God send, I'm quite relieved to see that I've been doing everything right where Smudge is concerned.
I can't believe how much joy he brings me but so much stress at the same time. Wouldn't swap him for the world!  :Luv:

Link to CatChat